follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2019, 11:49 PM   #99
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaBRZ View Post
Hi Mike,

After trying what you said - I get the message of "0 flash points currently on license key".

Does that mean it has already been flashed to the previous owner's car?

Thanks.
Correct. There are no unused licenses left on that car.

PM to order.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #100
RSCrawford

Drives: 2018 Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have an ecutek kit supplied by delicious with their edelbrock sc flash. I'm not having much luck getting the car to stop setting a p0171 cel on every start up. What do I need to purchase additional (license etc) to just tune the car myself with full access to the tables? I understand I will be starting from zero as their tune is locked. Thanks in advance.
RSCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #101
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCrawford View Post
I have an ecutek kit supplied by delicious with their edelbrock sc flash. I'm not having much luck getting the car to stop setting a p0171 cel on every start up. What do I need to purchase additional (license etc) to just tune the car myself with full access to the tables? I understand I will be starting from zero as their tune is locked. Thanks in advance.
That sounds like you have a bad bypass valve actuator. Check the Edelbrock thread, plenty of information on this there, not a tune issue.

Pinch the little hose at the back of the blower, if the idle fluctuates whilst you're pinching, you got your culprit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #102
RSCrawford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
That sounds like you have a bad bypass valve actuator. Check the Edelbrock thread, plenty of information on this there, not a tune issue.

Pinch the little hose at the back of the blower, if the idle fluctuates whilst you're pinching, you got your culprit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I appreciate the feedback. That is what it acts like but I tested the valve and it doesn't have issue. The actuator holds vacuum when I put a draw on it.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:16 AM   #103
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCrawford View Post

To tune yourslf you would need your cirrent ecutek pro ecu cavle and dongle, plus the racerom extensin pack to access racerom features and mulimap tunes and stuff like custom maps and flex fuel.

You moght also have exhaust leak or cracked header. Deliceous guys have done heaps of tunes theor tunes are pretty solid generally if ypu have issues it will be hardware related especially on mainstream kits like elelbrock.

https://www.autocodes.com/p0171_subaru.html

Whats your ltft look like at idle and 3000 rpm ?
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #104
RSCrawford

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
To tune yourslf you would need your cirrent ecutek pro ecu cavle and dongle, plus the racerom extensin pack to access racerom features and mulimap tunes and stuff like custom maps and flex fuel.

You moght also have exhaust leak or cracked header. Deliceous guys have done heaps of tunes theor tunes are pretty solid generally if ypu have issues it will be hardware related especially on mainstream kits like elelbrock.

https://www.autocodes.com/p0171_subaru.html

Whats your ltft look like at idle and 3000 rpm ?
I've been out of town but will look into that in the next day or so. It has been verified to have no intake or exhaust leaks. This is a 4k mile car so I am fairly certain it has no underlying issues with the oem parts as well (fuel pump etc).
Thanks for your input.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:37 AM   #105
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
So I may have asked before but if I bought a used computer with a ecutek license in it could i change the vin and use it in my car with a different dongle even if it had racerom or and was tune locked?

Ecutek liciences are issued to a ecutek dongle id via internet. They are not storred on a computer. When flashing the licience is transfered into the ecu of car , from dongle id to car, it never rwarly resides on a computer
Old 04-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #106
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Ecutek Cable kit Tunes licensing explained

Ecutek Tuning system consists of several components

Basic ProECU Kit Retail - (OBD cable and DESKEY, mst people refer to DESKEY as a dongle, note its not a memory stick))
Warning: If you buy secondhand kit make sure it contains both the cable and the DESKEY(dongle), without DESKEY(dongle) kit is useless. also make sure the cable/dongle kit is assigned to 86/BRZ/FRS , the hardware is same and you will be able to flash a 86/BRZ/FRS with say a Nissan GTR kit. but you wont be able to open or edit even unlocked tunes or make your own tunes with a kit that is not assigned to a BRZ/86 platform I believe ECUTEK can re-assign the kits but their may be an additional cost to do so, safer to buy a kit that designated for 86/BRZ/FRS
ECU Licence - licence to allow you to program/flash one ECU ( this is now called flash points you need 255 flash points for a brz\86 licience) sold separatly, one required per ecu flashed with ProECU kit. One off cost per ECU. (note this ECU licience is separate to the DESKEY/dongle)
Tune/ROM file - either you self tune or you buy a tune from tuner, tunes from a tuner will generally be keyed to your dongle id.

To actually flash a tune to a car you need 4 things
1. Ecutek cable - you cannot use other cables must be genuine ecutek cable
2. Ecutek DESKEY (Dongle)- looks like a memory stick, but its not
3. En Ecutek ECU licience- ( or 255 flash points if your ecu doesnt already have ecutek tune) this is NOT the DESKEY. (unless ECU in car has already be flashed with ECUTEK and licience is already in ECU)
4. A tune file keyed to your DESKEY(dongle) or an open unkeyed tune . Unkeyed tunes are rare in ecutek tuning world.

Basic ProECU Cable kit (OBD interface cable and DESkey Dongle that allows you to run Ecutek software on PC), without these items plugged into your PC ecutek software will not run.

Each Dongle(Deskey) has a 6 charater code associated with it like 6a 5b 5c. This code is referred to a licience key or tune key or dongle ID or key.
Any tune you get from a tuner will almost always be coded to this Dongle ID so cannot be shared with other Ecutek users. Open or un-keyed tunes are rare in ecutek tuning world.

Ecutek ECU Tuning license - one license required for each car you want to flash - not transferable or onsellable, a licience is now called flash points you need 255 for each brz/86 ecu you want to flash unless its already been flashed with ecutek previously ie already has licience in ecu.
These licences/ flash points are sold separately to Cable/Dongle kits. The tuner will apply the licence/ flash points to your dongle ID ( the desk key) so next time you fire up ecutek software connected to internet the ECU licence purchased will appear.
You can flash the licensed ecu as many times as you like, but its not transferable

RaceROM Extension Pack - Not required to flash tunes- only required to give fullaccess Racrom Features for self tuners.

Tunes purchased from tuner - these care generally emailed to you , they are keyed to your Dongle(Deskey) ID code . They will generally be keyed to just your dongle ID so only you can flash.
Other dongle ID will have no access at all.

If you keep using your Basic Pro ECU cable kit to program lots different cars, Ecutek may require you to purchase a full tuner kit these are quite expensive
They track the number of ECU licenses sent to Each Dongle ID.

If you have a Ecutek cable kit, you will also need to purchase an ECU licience to be able to flash a car, unless the car has been flashed with Ecutek previously.

Ecutek embeds the ECU license in the ECU on the first flash, then it checks for this licience before it will flash ECU.

Tunes you purchase from an Ecutek tuner will in most cases be coded to your dongle ID. This means that only that dongle ID can flash that tune.
It also means that you cannot look at the tune tables inside the tune all you can do is flash
Another dongle wont even be able to flash or load the tune.

The usb/OBD cable is not specificly keyed to the dongle but it does contain some form of keying such that you must use a genuine ecutek usb/obd cable or the ecutek software will not detect the cable. However you could use somone else's Ecutek cable if yours failed, but you would need your dongle else you cannot load tunes keyed to different dongle Id's

The ECUTEK software requires your dongle (deskey) and a genuine ecutek cable to be plugged ito PC for the ECUTEK software to work.

ECU Locking

ECU is locked once an Ecutek tune with RaceRom features is added is flashed.
The ECU Lock is dependant on if the tune flashed has Racrom features added, no racerom no lock, racerom features added then flashing tune will lock ECU.

The ECU lock is achieved by altering the access code sequence in the ECU.

No other tune system can access the ECU until you or tuner flash back an ecutek rom without Racrom features installed.
Ecu can be unlocked by flashing back an Ecutek stock rom WITHOUT Race ROM features added
Note if you flash your ECU that is unlocked with another tune system, you will write over and loose your Ecutek tune licence. You will need to get your Ecutek tuner to re-new licence.

licenses already in ecu or tunes not transferable only cable kit can be on sold

Tunes from tuners are generally locked and not viewable or editable by anyone other than the tuner, even if the tune is keyed to your dongle ,all you can do is flash it.

You can tune yourself with ecutek, but for full racerom feature access you will need to buy additional RaceRom extension pack.
Laptop required to log and flash.

Ecutek supply the tune system but they do not tune.
You need to go to an Ecutek tuner for a tune and flash licences or to buy cable kits.
The Roms you get with Ecutek are just the STOCK roms and the Racrom patches for each rom type (calibration ID)
The cable kit can be used to flash or log multiple cars but you need a ECU licience for each car you want to flash
Once the Ecutek licience is transfered to your ECU its permanently in ECU and you can flash tunes as many times as you like with ecutek to that ECU.

The cable kit can log and clear/read DTC on a car without a Ecutek licience in ECU
If you buy a tune from a tuner it will have access to all racerom features like map switch, SD tuning ,custom maps etc.
If you self tune the basic proECU software only gives access to the basic RaceRom features like launch and flat foot shift.
You cannot access stuff like 4 map switching you can only access Map 1 tables and you dont get access to custom maps SD tuning , custom maps and a lot of other high end features.

If you want that as a self tuner you need to buy the RaceRom extension pack for another $350. even with RaceRom extension you cannot access locked tunes, it just allows you to add in those features to a tune you make yourself.

Editing Your own ROMS.

IF you obtain any BRZ/86 ROM in standard Hex format (with no additional patches or calibration ID adjustments/hacks) you can use Ecutek to edit these roms.

However once edited with Ecutek they can only be saved in ecutek encrypted format, and then they are only readable or flashable by Ecutek

The Rom that come with Ecutek are just the stock roms encoded to ecutek format, you don't get any free tunes with an Ecutek cable kit.

Mininum requirements and aprox costs

Ecutek cable kit aprox $350 USD (if you want to flash tunes yourself)
Ecutek ECU licience (1 per car) $350 USD
You may get a better deal if you buy a cable kit and tune from same vendor.
Tunes not supplied tunes start from 100-500 or so USD
If you want full access tune/modify all Race Rom Features add the RaceRom extension for about $350

Check around for pricing as well some tuners discount licences, but charge more for tune or other way round

Ecutek ECU Connect Blutooth interface

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGCfprEsezE"]The New EcuTek Bluetooth Interface and iPhone App - ECU Connect - YouTube[/ame]

This is now a complete solution for Flashing (via mini usb connector) and logging via Bluetooth or USB

Note that you also need a dongle key to be able to flash tunes with the Blutooth dongle. Currently the Blutooth kits only contain the interface, so you need to already have or buy a ecutek dongle key to use the flash usb interface on the blutooth dongle

This is a separate Bluetooth dongle (sold separatly to standard ProECU Cable/dongle kit) - Update the Blutooth dongles can now flash tunes via the mini USB interface on rear of dongle ie via hardware connection to your laptop.

Blutooth interface does NOT flash or read Tunes/ROM from the ECU.
Its purely for logging and adjusting pre-setup features in your ecutek tune.

However the mini USB socket on Back of Bluetooth Dongle can be used to flash tunes

You need a Tune with RaceRom version 9.1 or higher for the Blutooth interface to work. The features and adjustments need to be set up in your tune by the tuner or you using Racerom extension pack.

More info on Blutooth interface
http://www.ecutek.com/Products/Retai...CU-Connect-BRZ

EcuTek Website
www.ecutek.com

Alternative Tune Systems
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106068

Sorry for this but I'm confused as Hell. I bought a supercharger kit with the Ecutek and license. It's a Ecutek Pro and I have the Pro files I downloaded and I have the RaceROM files I downloaded and have access to use.

I have the license dongle and number, plus the Registration key, but I don't have any Flash Points. The thing is brand new and has never been used, except when it's been hooked up to my computer to download everything. So, apparently the tuner can't work with me until the person I bought the Ecutek from officially issues the license? I don't get the whole thing of why I have the license but not Flash Points.

Can someone breaks this down to 3rd grade level for me?
DocRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:03 PM   #107
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

So just to add on to this: I tried to update my license to see if that'd work but after the encrypted software or whatever it was installed I got an error box that said "No Dongle Feature".

It seems I have everything I need, except the Flash Points.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:03 PM   #108
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRecon View Post
Sorry for this but I'm confused as Hell. I bought a supercharger kit with the Ecutek and license. It's a Ecutek Pro and I have the Pro files I downloaded and I have the RaceROM files I downloaded and have access to use.

I have the license dongle and number, plus the Registration key, but I don't have any Flash Points. The thing is brand new and has never been used, except when it's been hooked up to my computer to download everything. So, apparently the tuner can't work with me until the person I bought the Ecutek from officially issues the license? I don't get the whole thing of why I have the license but not Flash Points.

The license, which is encoded in your deskey is a separate purchase from your flash points. The problem you have right now is that the license that you currently have for your software suite is registered to the previous owner. You may have to contact an EcuTek dealer to obtain a new license so that you can continue on with the purchase of flash points, which you can also obtain from that same dealer.

When you start the software up on your PC, look for the name of the original dealer who sold your ProECU kit to the original owner, (which is also encoded on the deskey). Contact that dealer for more information and help.

May I ask what area in Kentucky you reside? I'm just over the border near Huntington.

EDIT: I just reread what you wrote and saw that your ProECU kit is brand new. I don't know how I misunderstood thinking you got it second hand.

Ignore what I said above and just call your dealer.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
DocRecon (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 02:07 AM   #109
steve99
Banned

Quote:

Standard pro ecu kit you get the srock tunes and all the racerom files to add to those stock tunes. However with the standard base kit software you can add racerom to a stock rom but you cannot access ie see or edit most of the racerom features like flex fuel boost control spped dnsity and you can only access map mode 1 . you only get basic access to base features like launch flat foot shift and auto blip.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
DocRecon (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 07:33 AM   #110
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
The license, which is encoded in your deskey is a separate purchase from your flash points. The problem you have right now is that the license that you currently have for your software suite is registered to the previous owner. You may have to contact an EcuTek dealer to obtain a new license so that you can continue on with the purchase of flash points, which you can also obtain from that same dealer.

When you start the software up on your PC, look for the name of the original dealer who sold your ProECU kit to the original owner, (which is also encoded on the deskey). Contact that dealer for more information and help.

May I ask what area in Kentucky you reside? I'm just over the border near Huntington.

EDIT: I just reread what you wrote and saw that your ProECU kit is brand new. I don't know how I misunderstood thinking you got it second hand.

Ignore what I said above and just call your dealer.

Hey, thanks. I'm in Lexington.

I was looking and found a "Stop" sticker that tells the dealer to configure it before sending it out. I don't think they did that. It have my dongle number (e.g., 6A7D9K, etc) and the Registration Code (e.g., TM-VY-MM, etc.), but there's also another written down that starts with like, 5556780. Again, I have access to everything in the computer and was just playing around last night making maps, but not saving. It's like they didn't issue the license.

I bought from a company so there was no previous owner but I'll look like you said. I'm trying to get with the shop that sold me the supercharger kit. It's Group-A Engineering, in California.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #111
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

That stickers say the Master Tuner was supposed to configure and register it on the Ecutek webstore, under "My Dongles".

Apparently this wasn't done. I've contacted Group-A Engineering (Skunk 2) and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm about ready to say F'-it to Ecutek and just have OFT make me a tune since I already have one of those.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:21 AM   #112
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
That stickers say the Master Tuner was supposed to configure and register it on the Ecutek webstore, under "My Dongles".

Apparently this wasn't done. I've contacted Group-A Engineering (Skunk 2) and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm about ready to say F'-it to Ecutek and just have OFT make me a tune since I already have one of those.

If I were in your shoes, I would stick with EcuTek at this point and then call Dynosty over in Louisville.

You're about an hour away from one of the closest master tuners in the area. And they have a Dyno there. Talk to Hal, he'll get you straightened up.

Oh, and if those are your ACTUAL dongle ID numbers and registration code, you should delete them from your post above.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote