follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Wizardhat

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using factory wiring for aftermarket fog light kits

bought my foglights from Nigel JDM parts before the complete kits came out from Winjet and Sypder with switches that fit OEM style. I did not like the Nigel harness at all or the switch and I did not use them. Instead I did some research on the factory fogs and learned how to use the factory wiring already in the car complete with relay. I picked up a Winjet kit just for the switch and chopped up a harness from Didode Dynamics for the power/ground connection between the fog lights and the car wiring. Power for the fogs is on the turn signal connector which is above each parking light and hard to remove from its clips without the bumper removed. There is a plug in an unused slot on one side with the corresponding opposite wire being the fog power supply already to go. Used a T-dap slice to connect the power to the lights each side and then ran the ground to the ground locations on each side of the chassis. Only need about about a foot for the power and maybe two feet for the ground. One is basically closing an open circuit which is what the OEM Kit does. To hook up the switch I opened up the lower dash and cut off the factory connector that the OEM kit uses and cut off the wires from the Winjet switch leaving enough to splice the switch to the OEM wiring. There are four wires,, Yellow black went to the switch ground, White was power to the switch, and the other two (I dont remember their colors, sorry) connected to the relay and to the switch light. The Winjet switch goes in where the blank is next to the dimmer wheel. No drilling or having to adapt. Results: Fog lights operate like OEM. Dash inidicator works, fogs turn off automatically when high beams come on , fog lights can be turned on and off at will. Only exception is that the switch lights inversely to the dimmer control. I keep the dimmer at halfway and everything is even. At this point in time one just needs one kit from Winjet or Spyder (their switch setup is more OEM styled than Winjet and use the parts for the above. Here is a link to the OEM fog light install directions from Scion.
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT413-18130inst.pdf

It has all the pictures that illustrate what I did as well as step by step instructions.
Wizardhat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizardhat For This Useful Post:
bmacfrs (06-20-2018)
Old 06-24-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
Wizardhat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Now I have my 10 posts to be able to thank someone for a reply.
Wizardhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
SillySaxon

Drives: Sc10n Series FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I need a little help here. I tried to wire this up and it SORT OF works properly.
I wired the black on the switch to the black/yellow ground.

I wired the top red on the switch to the purple.
I wired the other red on the switch to the white
I wired the yellow on the switch to the white/black wire

So the fogs come on, the light on the dash comes on, but I have a weird issue.

The light on the siwtches no longer work, the lights on the HVAC and the lights on the radio also no longer work and when my headlights are on the radio screen does not dim.
Also, when I turn the dimmer wheel all the way down the foglights turn off.

Any ideas? Is it possible that you can open up the little side panel and take a photo of how you wired it?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
bmacfrs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I know its an old thread. I just wanted to add a piece of useful info in case anyone else is going down this path.

So the idea is you can use a set of fog lights with a dash switch and take advantage of the cars built in wiring, fuses, and relay. You get the proper function of the fogs being only on during low beam headlights. Which is fine with me and I live in a state where annual "safety" inspections check for this sort of thing. No need to buy and install a different light stalk on the column.
Wiuth the Winjet kit, some connectors and shrink tubing, I have about $60 in this.

I bought the set of cheap WinJets that comes with the harness and switch.
I followed the info from OP @Wizardhat and whats shown in the factory install instructions http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT413-18130inst.pdf. Installed the lights and switch. Hacked the harness for only what was needed for those. Then discovered the confusion for what the wiring is for the switch to the OE connector. After some testing with a meter, this is what works.

OE Wire colors to the winjet switch harness colors (in order of connector since there are two reds):
Blk/Yellow (ground) = Blk
Blk/White (illumination) = Red
White (Ign Pwr) = Yellow
Purple (Relay Pwr) = Red

So other switches can use different colors of course but at least you know what the OE wires are.
I also discovered that the illumination works opposite of the rest of the dash. I confirmed this is coming from the voltage changes in the blk/white wire. Turn up the brightness and the voltage drops. No idea why it would be like that.
bmacfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bmacfrs For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (04-11-2022)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
bmacfrs

snip from the OEM install guide.
Attached Images

bmacfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #6
alvarompl

Drives: 2017 BRZ WRB with golden wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySaxon View Post
I need a little help here. I tried to wire this up and it SORT OF works properly.
I wired the black on the switch to the black/yellow ground.

I wired the top red on the switch to the purple.
I wired the other red on the switch to the white
I wired the yellow on the switch to the white/black wire

So the fogs come on, the light on the dash comes on, but I have a weird issue.

The light on the siwtches no longer work, the lights on the HVAC and the lights on the radio also no longer work and when my headlights are on the radio screen does not dim.
Also, when I turn the dimmer wheel all the way down the foglights turn off.

Any ideas? Is it possible that you can open up the little side panel and take a photo of how you wired it?

Did you ever solved this?? This is exactly the same problem I am having…
alvarompl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #7
alvarompl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfrs View Post
I know its an old thread. I just wanted to add a piece of useful info in case anyone else is going down this path.

So the idea is you can use a set of fog lights with a dash switch and take advantage of the cars built in wiring, fuses, and relay. You get the proper function of the fogs being only on during low beam headlights. Which is fine with me and I live in a state where annual "safety" inspections check for this sort of thing. No need to buy and install a different light stalk on the column.
Wiuth the Winjet kit, some connectors and shrink tubing, I have about $60 in this.

I bought the set of cheap WinJets that comes with the harness and switch.
I followed the info from OP @Wizardhat and whats shown in the factory install instructions http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT413-18130inst.pdf. Installed the lights and switch. Hacked the harness for only what was needed for those. Then discovered the confusion for what the wiring is for the switch to the OE connector. After some testing with a meter, this is what works.

OE Wire colors to the winjet switch harness colors (in order of connector since there are two reds):
Blk/Yellow (ground) = Blk
Blk/White (illumination) = Red
White (Ign Pwr) = Yellow
Purple (Relay Pwr) = Red

So other switches can use different colors of course but at least you know what the OE wires are.
I also discovered that the illumination works opposite of the rest of the dash. I confirmed this is coming from the voltage changes in the blk/white wire. Turn up the brightness and the voltage drops. No idea why it would be like that.
Hi, I followed your directions (thank you by the way!) and after connecting everything, the dimmer and switch illumination won’t work and the fog lights are always on with low lights and switch won’t turn them off. Also the dials for ac lights stoped working… any ideas? I have been looking everywhere and can’t figure this one out…

Update:

Got it fixed. It was a blown fuse in the box under the steering wheel. Changed the fuse and everything was working perfect.

Last edited by alvarompl; 12-05-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #8
bmacfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarompl View Post
Hi, I followed your directions (thank you by the way!) and after connecting everything, the dimmer and switch illumination won’t work and the fog lights are always on with low lights and switch won’t turn them off. Also the dials for ac lights stoped working… any ideas? I have been looking everywhere and can’t figure this one out…
Unless maybe those wires are purposed differently for 2017+ BRZs but I would be surprise if thats the case. Are you installing a winjet kit or something else thats intended for a 2017 up BRZ? I would start with a wiring diagram for your car and a meter to verify everything. Then maybe you can use jumpers to start making the connections one at a time and make sure its doing what you expect.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
alvarompl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfrs View Post
Unless maybe those wires are purposed differently for 2017+ BRZs but I would be surprise if thats the case. Are you installing a winjet kit or something else thats intended for a 2017 up BRZ? I would start with a wiring diagram for your car and a meter to verify everything. Then maybe you can use jumpers to start making the connections one at a time and make sure its doing what you expect.
Thanks for the answer!! Yes it is a winjet kit.

I figured it out after a lot of trial and error. At some point I shorted the purple wire and had a blown fuse. This was causing the backlights in the ax and dimmer to stop working.

Changed the fuse, reworked everything according to your instructions and it worked!!

Only thing left is figure out why in the world the backlight of the fog light switch is on when pressed and off when depressed (it also turns the lights on when depressed and off when pressed)..

Any how, thanks for the help!!
The Following User Says Thank You to alvarompl For This Useful Post:
bmacfrs (12-05-2021)