follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2016, 12:09 AM   #1
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Cold Start Help

I have researched and studied about getting rid that loud cold start bark.

It is either not very clear to me or everyone just do trial and error with their adjustments.

I have read @steve99's Tips and Tricks but he seem to glaze over the topic and the easiest fix is to just alter the Ignition Timing Post Start table from -15 deg to -4. Now he says that just remove the bark.

Someone provided me a tune that have the High Rev Cold Start mod already and I was comparing it with a regular, but similar, tune. That tune seem tohave more changes done with the Ignition Timing Target A, B, D etc etc. I think this is to keep the Rev to be lower around 1200 - 1400 rpm. Is that right and necessary?

Others have said to change MAF scaling etc.

What actual adjustment is only necessary to achieve what I want and can keep the rest as is?

My cold starts sounds like "bombs" according to my roommate and coworkers. So it is really loud.

Granted I have a Catless UEL and Muffler Delete that is why I am trying to get a good answer from people here.
Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:18 AM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayysonie View Post

It is either not very clear to me or everyone just do trial and error with their adjustments.

I have read @steve99's Tips and Tricks but he seem to glaze over the topic and the easiest fix is to just alter the Ignition Timing Post Start table from -15 deg to -4. Now he says that just remove the bark.

Someone provided me a tune that have the High Rev Cold Start mod already and I was comparing it with a regular, but similar, tune. That tune seem tohave more changes done with the Ignition Timing Target A, B, D etc etc. I think this is to keep the Rev to be lower around 1200 - 1400 rpm. Is that right and necessary?

What actual adjustment is only necessary to achieve what I want and can keep the rest as is?

My cold starts sounds like "bombs" according to my roommate and coworkers. So it is really loud.

Granted I have a Catless UEL and Muffler Delete that is why I am trying to get a good answer from people here.

You're question is a bit unusual, you simply do all those adjustments, I too had a berk muffler delete for some time so I quieted it down thanks to @steve99 and his instructions he clearly says you have to edit:

1)Timing
2)The agressive maf tables
3)Idle speed targets
4)DTC code P050B
5)Total Injection port ratio (optional depending on fuel but it doesn't hurt to do it anyway creates a much smoother idle)

Do all five and you will no longer have that booming cold start sound, the RPM level you mentioned is specifically controlled by coolant temperature and it will be quieter now at the normal 1400 rpm warm up portion. This is what you're tables should look like the -6.99 part can be -4 for you. The timing is adjusted due to the fact you no longer need to warm the catalytic converters up anymore as one of them are gone without the catalytic converter or without a muffler it is obnoxious and not worth having it.

*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Kayysonie (03-24-2016), rjgough95 (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 12:20 AM   #3
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ignition Timing Post Start and MAF Correction After Start. You'll want to disable the P050B CEL too.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:28 AM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

Actually I'm off for the most part today and tomorrow and slightly bored if you tell me the Cal ID I can make the changes if you like and upload it here for you to compare, use and try yourself.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Kayysonie (03-24-2016), steve99 (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 03:07 AM   #5
mike7792

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Actually I'm off for the most part today and tomorrow and slightly bored if you tell me the Cal ID I can make the changes if you like and upload it here for you to compare, use and try yourself.
I need this cold start "mod" for my US/Canada 6MT OFT Stage 2 UEL 91 oct tune B01C
Would you be so kind to make a file with the cold rev adjustment made to it please?
I'm retarded when it comes to trying to adjust the files. Tried and ended up getting frustrated

Thanks !
mike7792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7792 View Post
I need this cold start "mod" for my US/Canada 6MT OFT Stage 2 UEL 91 oct tune B01C
Would you be so kind to make a file with the cold rev adjustment made to it please?
I'm retarded when it comes to trying to adjust the files. Tried and ended up getting frustrated

Thanks !

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byr...ew?usp=sharing

Here you go! To anyone else asking for me to do these just so you know I'm not going to this is and @Kayysonie are really the only ones I intended to help here
Kayysonie (03-24-2016), mike7792 (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 06:42 AM   #7
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byr...ew?usp=sharing

Here you go! To anyone else asking for me to do these just so you know I'm not going to this is and @Kayysonie are really the only ones I intended to help here
Well I was in luck. My Cal ID is BO1C also and I am running the 91 octane UEL Stage 2.

I appreciate the help. I am still trying to learn how to tune it. What confused me the most is people said they have adjusted their tune a lot.

For example, they said instead of -4 they went aggressive and put around 10 or something like that and made it better. etc etc.

I haven't read the rest of the reply above but I will. I am just trying to do a quick reply.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Well I was in luck. My Cal ID is BO1C also and I am running the 91 octane UEL Stage 2.

I appreciate the help. I am still trying to learn how to tune it. What confused me the most is people said they have adjusted their tune a lot.

For example, they said instead of -4 they went aggressive and put around 10 or something like that and made it better. etc etc.

I haven't read the rest of the reply above but I will. I am just trying to do a quick reply.

Thanks.
i found if you go more than -4 it starts to sound rearly crap like your jist reving it in neutral, at -4 most of the noisy bark\resonance is gone if you go like +4 it same noise level but jist sounds crap.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Kayysonie (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
rjgough95

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 7.3 F350 Diesel
So i just got the two tables for MAF Correction After Start (In Gear) & (Neutral). I think something went wrong because everything came out a mess in the two. I changed them to how they should be. Can someone please tell me if thats ok or did i do something wrong?

[IMG]https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...85745050_o.jpg[/IMG]
2.5" Non-resonated Perrin catback - Hks dual resonator front pipe - Borla UEL headers - K&N drop in - Supertek intake pipe - Megans Racing strut bar - Racer X Fabrication cylinder brace - Valenti tail lights - Veloxs Motorsports front splitter - Galvez Customs rear diffuser - Open Flash Tuner - GCS paddles - Apex ARC8 Track Wheels

Last edited by rjgough95; 03-24-2016 at 10:07 AM.
rjgough95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
i found if you go more than -4 it starts to sound rearly crap like your jist reving it in neutral, at -4 most of the noisy bark\resonance is gone if you go like +4 it same noise level but jist sounds crap.
What is the safest/highest value can you go?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgough95 View Post
So i just got the two tables for MAF Correction After Start (In Gear) & (Neutral). I think something went wrong because everything came out a mess in the two. I changed them to how they should be. Can someone please tell me if thats ok or did i do something wrong?
How do you mean they came out a mess?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #12
rjgough95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
How do you mean they came out a mess?
They weren't near anywhere what they had to look like. It was just random numbers scattered around from 0 to 77 ect. so i changed all the digits to match in the image showing everything finished and the one i attached is what i did.
2.5" Non-resonated Perrin catback - Hks dual resonator front pipe - Borla UEL headers - K&N drop in - Supertek intake pipe - Megans Racing strut bar - Racer X Fabrication cylinder brace - Valenti tail lights - Veloxs Motorsports front splitter - Galvez Customs rear diffuser - Open Flash Tuner - GCS paddles - Apex ARC8 Track Wheels
Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgough95 View Post
They weren't near anywhere what they had to look like. It was just random numbers scattered around from 0 to 77 ect. so i changed all the digits to match in the image showing everything finished and the one i attached is what i did.
Then delete it! It means the definition addresses were wrong and if you flash that it'll more than likely brick your ECU. If things don't look right then they aren't.

What addresses did you use and what is your Cal ID (OFT I presume)?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #14
rjgough95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Then delete it! It means the definition addresses were wrong and if you flash that it'll more than likely brick your ECU. If things don't look right then they aren't.

What addresses did you use and what is your Cal ID (OFT I presume)?
ZA1JA01D and what do you mean Addresses?