follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #659
c.klingner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Was this brought up before and I just missed it?

humfrz
I think it was brought up in my first post. I can’t tell, I’ve posted this to several groups trying to get answers.🤷*♂️
c.klingner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #660
Scottish86

Drives: 13 BRZ
Just got my 13 BRZ back from the recall early this week. Got about 40 miles on it so far and only weird thing i am experiencing is the oil pressure light is faintly flashing sometimes. If there is a lot of light shining on the cluster you wouldnt be able to see it. Checked oil and level is perfect. Cleaned off the contacts on the pressure sender and keeping my fingers crossed that nothing is actually wrong.
Scottish86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:42 AM   #661
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.klingner View Post
I have asked if I could take it to another dealership and SOA said that the second dealership would not be responsible for the repairs even if it was found the other dealership messed something up and I would have to take the original dealership to court after I paid for it. I was trying to give the dealership the benefit of the doubt and allowing them to fix there mistake but they have seemed to want to push off blame from the moment I brought the car back. I feel even with my limited knowledge I could have torn the engine apart and put it back together twice in the time they have been trouble shooting. Since the 18th of february, all they have told me that has been done so far is a readjustment of the valve lash, and they replaced my exhaust manifold as it was bad due to an earlier issue I had with a stuck injector, and they tested the injectors given the earlier issue. It is also majorly important to note that as soon as the noise developed I pulled over and checked the oil and it wasn’t even on the dipstick. I added 1 and 2/3 a qt of oil to bring it in between the holes.
Hello c.klingner,

I'm just trying to get a timeline established in my old mind.

Now, how many miles did you put on your car since the last time the dealership messed with it and you noticed the tapping noise?

And as soon as you noticed the noise, you checked the oil and discovered it was 1 and 2/3 quart low?

Just trying to help sort this out.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:03 AM   #662
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish86 View Post
Just got my 13 BRZ back from the recall early this week. Got about 40 miles on it so far and only weird thing i am experiencing is the oil pressure light is faintly flashing sometimes. If there is a lot of light shining on the cluster you wouldnt be able to see it. Checked oil and level is perfect. Cleaned off the contacts on the pressure sender and keeping my fingers crossed that nothing is actually wrong.
I’d be taking it back ASAP. I ignored a intermittent oil light once 15 years ago. Then I replaced an engine. Lesson learned.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:18 AM   #663
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Like you said it is a pressure light not a volume one. Bet you have clogged passages or tubes. Get it back soon.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:15 AM   #664
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My son's old corolla had an intermittent oil light faintly flashing and it was fixed by removing the sump, cleaning the oil pickup filter, flushing the oil and replacing the oil and filter.
The previous owner didn't do regular oil changes and caused oil sludge.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #665
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
It's been said.

It needs to be said again:

DO NOT IGNORE THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT

Under normal conditions it's foolish, after a procedure that is known to be problematic for the oiling system, it's INSANE to ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Yikes! That is crazy lucky though now that you mention it I have heard of a couple people breaking timing belts at an idle and not damaging anything. Don't know if they were interference motors or not.

I had an experience 15 years ago on the MX track where I shifted down in the air over a jump preparing for the next corner. I didn't think it went so I stomped down on the shifter again to make sure I got the gear. Turns out it did shift both times and I floated the valves hard when landing. It didn't give any indication that it touched until half a lap later when it dropped the valve
I've also seen a scion tc float and drop rockers, TWICE. All it took was squeezing the rockers and shims back in.

Last edited by RZNT4R; 04-07-2019 at 11:39 AM.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-09-2019), Tcoat (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #666
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

nm

Last edited by RZNT4R; 04-07-2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: consolidating posts
Old 04-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #667
Scottish86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
It's been said.

It needs to be said again:

DO NOT IGNORE THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT

Under normal conditions it's foolish, after a procedure that is known to be problematic for the oiling system, it's INSANE to ignore it.

I stopped back into the dealership ( Wasnt driving the BRZ) and the technician said my car has a decent amount of corrosion on bolts and connectors (Minnesota Road Salts) and says the sensor connector probably needs cleaning. If there was an obstruction wouldnt the light come on solid??
Old 04-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #668
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

It's the opposite, if the connector is corroded it will NEVER come on, as it's just a switch to a ground path for a one wire circuit.

A restriction on the suction side of the pump, a pickup screen full of sealant, as has been photographed previously, will make the pressure drop. A restriction after the pump would result in high pressure at the switch but oil starvation further down the hydraulic circuit.

I'm very worried about this "technician". I also live on salty roads, perhaps some of the saltiest roads, and corroded oil pressure switch terminals aren't a thing, I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be foolish to disregard the oil light considering the engine has just been through a problematic procedure. It's even more foolish to disregard the oil light when this engine has the pressure switch in one of the easiest to reach locations ever, making it an easy diagnostic. Remove switch, install oil pressure gauge, confirm oil pressure. OK: replace switch. NG: There's an OOPSIE in that engine. It takes literally less than 10 minutes to check on the FA20, and can mean the difference between the life and death of the engine.

And just to be clear, considering the nature of the intervention the engine has just been through and what can result from a lack of oil pressure, that car should be going back to the dealer on a flat bed, at least that's what I would do.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
ermax (04-08-2019), gravitylover (04-07-2019), maslin (04-07-2019), Tcoat (04-07-2019), Ultramaroon (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #669
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
It’s infuriating to read about the incompetence of some of these Subaru/Toyota mechanics. Are they part of a secret society pushing to replace ICE cars with electric? Maybe they are paid by Elon Musk to destroy our cars.
In all seriousness I think you need to drop the oil pan and check the oil pickup tube filter. Good chance it’s blocked.
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #670
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I stopped back into the dealership ( Wasnt driving the BRZ) and the technician said my car has a decent amount of corrosion on bolts and connectors (Minnesota Road Salts) and says the sensor connector probably needs cleaning. If there was an obstruction wouldnt the light come on solid??
I've seen it on other pressure switches. At low engine speed, the oil pressure was adequate. As pressure dropped, the light would dimly illuminate before the switch flipped hard over. Ever have to shake a flashlight?
Old 04-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #671
Scottish86

I had my dealer install a new clutch at the same time so I havnt been above 4K RPM yet. Perhaps I will just take off the oil pan and check the pickup myself. I am trying to give these techs the benefit of the doubt since they are doing these recalls all day long and I would hope they arent messing up every engine they touch. It would be easy to weed out the crappy technicians.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #672
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Quote:
I had my dealer install a new clutch at the same time so I havnt been above 4K RPM yet. Perhaps I will just take off the oil pan and check the pickup myself. I am trying to give these techs the benefit of the doubt since they are doing these recalls all day long and I would hope they arent messing up every engine they touch. It would be easy to weed out the crappy technicians.
It's LITERALLY easier to check the oil pressure than to drop the sump. Some auto parts stores loan/rent tools, the switch is right there below the oil filter. Unscrew it, attach gauge.

With the engine at operating temp, 7.3 PSI at idle and 73 PSI at 6000 revs are your lower limits.

The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (04-07-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue