follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #15
Auto_egr

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
I stopped using the shifter because of the issues. Rattling was present on every drive. Shift boot wouldn't stay on. Colliding with the bolts was worrisome. Not worth it IMO.

FT86 SF said they haven't heard complaints of these issues.

The STI shifter can be had for around $330 on some sites. I should have gone that route.

Exactly what tehShirt stated. Rattles wouldn't stop, build quality was questionable, shift boot wouldn't stay put, reverse lockout impacting the bolts, set screw kept backing out. Mine is currently in the mail on the way back to FT86SF. I will go with the STI version in the future or TRD, not worth keeping it with all the issues described above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Auto_egr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
anyone know the part number for the STI and/or JDM TRD short shifter? i am heading to japan in May and would like to pick one up
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
anyone know the part number for the STI and/or JDM TRD short shifter? i am heading to japan in May and would like to pick one up
C1010CA100 is the part number for the newest STi version in the US.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #18
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Just installed the shifter, seems like a high quality piece.

I saw that the set screw was installed, however I forgot to check if it was tight... I may pull the car apart again tomorrow to verify, but everything seems fine.

It does rattle a bit above 4000 rpm like everyone is saying, but it isn't too bad and seems to be getting better over time.

EDIT: Been enjoying the shifter over the weekend and on my commute to work today. The rattle is a bit annoying, but I am going to grease up the reverse lockout (though the allen bolt that is on the top of the shifter below the shift knob) and see if that cures the rattle. Looks to have helped with a lot of people who owned the Kartboy.

As a secondary note, I did not reattach the washer when installing the new shifter as they bearing spacers seemed to do that job, but now I have about 1cm of slop in the shifter, so I will add it back.

Last edited by JBezugs; 03-19-2018 at 10:07 AM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #19
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
C1010CA100 is the part number for the newest STi version in the US.
thanks! looks to go for $395. Does anyone know how much they go for in Japan (for both TRD and STI short shifter)?
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:24 AM   #20
jmark

Drives: '97 NSX-T, '18 Type R
https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/Su...iABEgIkavD_BwE
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmark For This Useful Post:
tehShirt (03-27-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #21
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

So now that I have had this shifter installed for a month, some impressions:

The shift feel is fantastic. It's a big step up from the stock shifter, I have no regrets here.

However, a few issues: The rattle above 4k RPM is still annoying, and I am going to contact ft86SF in hopes that they have a fix for it. I have tried numerous kartboy fixes like greasing the reverse lockout and spring, and pulling the rubber shifter boot over the reverse lockout (as the two shifters are similar), and they have helped somewhat, but the rattle is still much more noticable than the stock shifter. Does anyone know what I can do to quell this?

Also, the reverse lockout does not have a deep enough lip at the shift boot retainer location, so your shift boot will pop up ALL THE TIME unless you have something there to keep it from doing so. I have an elastic there currently, it does the job however I am thinking I may file down the lower edge of the lip so that the lip is larger, or find an O-ring that would fit.

Since I can't return this shifter, I'd love to help improve it @FT-86 SpeedFactory
Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #22
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
So now that I have had this shifter installed for a month, some impressions:

The shift feel is fantastic. It's a big step up from the stock shifter, I have no regrets here.

However, a few issues: The rattle above 4k RPM is still annoying, and I am going to contact ft86SF in hopes that they have a fix for it. I have tried numerous kartboy fixes like greasing the reverse lockout and spring, and pulling the rubber shifter boot over the reverse lockout (as the two shifters are similar), and they have helped somewhat, but the rattle is still much more noticable than the stock shifter. Does anyone know what I can do to quell this?

Also, the reverse lockout does not have a deep enough lip at the shift boot retainer location, so your shift boot will pop up ALL THE TIME unless you have something there to keep it from doing so. I have an elastic there currently, it does the job however I am thinking I may file down the lower edge of the lip so that the lip is larger, or find an O-ring that would fit.

Since I can't return this shifter, I'd love to help improve it @FT-86 SpeedFactory
When your shifter is rattling, does it help if you lift up on the reverse lockout? If so, tightening the set screw underneath the shift knob can help some. This helped reduce the rattle, but it never went away.

The shift boot issue was very annoying, I think removing some material below the lip could help, but I think the main issue is the outer diameter of the lip itself is too small.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #23
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
When your shifter is rattling, does it help if you lift up on the reverse lockout? If so, tightening the set screw underneath the shift knob can help some. This helped reduce the rattle, but it never went away.

The shift boot issue was very annoying, I think removing some material below the lip could help, but I think the main issue is the outer diameter of the lip itself is too small.

I haven’t had an issue with the shift boot slipping off, but I’m also not using the OEM shift boot so that may be it

Old 04-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #24
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

FT86 Speed Factory Short Shifter Review Thread

Quote:

I tightened the Allen bolt under the shift knob a few weeks ago and it helped reduce the rattle like you said, but it has not gone away. Lifting the reverse lockout seems to make a little difference but the rattle is still very much present.

As for the boot issue, I am going to try taking some material off the bottom edge this weekend and seeing if it helps. Honestly it sucks that I can’t return it (due to ordering through ft86motorsports, a Canadian distributor that has a partnership with FT86SF), but I’m hoping that if we can get the attention of FT86SF and I stick it out, we can get them to fix issues with the shifter.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #25
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_egr View Post
Thankfully my set screw was still installed, but very loose. I tightened it down (after ripping up the interior again) and it was finally working well. However, I'm not happy with the overall quality, it rattles noticeably while cruising on the highway, I have about 0.25" of play while in gear from left to right, and the reverse lockout does impact the screws while shifting. Most likely going to talk to them and return it, it's pathetic that no one can design an OEM style short shifter without drawbacks. Hell, they didn't even make the lip on the reverse lockout large enough to hold the shift boot down, keeps popping up and looking sloppy.

Just get the japanese TRD one and call it a day, as oem as possible with zero drawback.....

STi one that ppl mentioned is really nice, I just think it's not short enough......but everything about is was prefect. You really notice the difference when you rev match down shift, downshifting into second is like fukn magnetic... damn stick got sucked into 2nd gear........ but not so much for normal driving.

Knowing Sti had this the day twins came out... you know the thing is designed with the car, but they are just too cheap to put it in.

*I just installed the STi short shifter last week.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (06-23-2018), weederr33 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #26
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Just get the japanese TRD one and call it a day, as oem as possible with zero drawback.....

STi one that ppl mentioned is really nice, I just think it's not short enough......but everything about is was prefect. You really notice the difference when you rev match down shift, downshifting into second is like fukn magnetic... damn stick got sucked into 2nd gear........ but not so much for normal driving.

Knowing Sti had this the day twins came out... you know the thing is designed with the car, but they are just too cheap to put it in.

*I just installed the STi short shifter last week.
I thoroughly enjoy the sti shift I put in a couple weeks ago. But yes I would also suggest it or the jdm TRD. The US version was a hassle for me since the bolt backed out a lot.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #27
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Another way to get rid of the rattle is to put a french fry shaped foam piece inside of the spring itself. Maybe even try wrapping foam around the spring. This may provide enough insulation to block the rattle coming from the transmission.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
JBezugs (07-04-2018), Teseo (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #28
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
What does it have to do with them being cheap? A short shifter costs the same as the OEM shifter to produce.

The reason they don't come with an even shorter shifter stock than they do is because of driveability for average people.

Drive most other manual cars and you'll realize how short the stock shifter already is compared to the average manual car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
churchx (06-24-2018), Spuds (06-23-2018)