follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #3291
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1 View Post
Bottom line: with around 2 degrees more negative camber and not much change in ride height, I'll be happy and I placed my order. That being said, I did feel like Ryan in customer service was being extremely misleading, especially given how clearly I asked the question.
I may be incorrect on the stack height raising the car, someone else posted that with lowering springs and the raceseng top hats the springs were actually loose at full droop. But other than that, yeah, I've found that the nuances of car modification are extremely difficult and easily misunderstood and miscommunicated.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #3292
fer3d

Drives: Toyota 86 FT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Mixed Track Day/DD Setup

Hi suspension gurus, I need help deciding a suspension setup for my car.
Im planning a track day / time attack car with little street drive (200 miles/month max.) so i can sacrifice comfort but to an extent...

Budget: ~ $2500
Tires: spare RPF1 17x8 with slicks (already have them)
Drop: 1.2'' // 1.4'' (need to be adjustable, streets over here are in bad shape)
Racing Rules: No rules apply, i can mod anything.

Requirement: Shave as many seconds as possible from my times
Ive done 20+ track days on the same circuit, so my times are no longer going down, its time for mods

Coilovers, LCA, Camber plates, bushings, there are so many possibilities i dont know where to spend my money more efficiently.

I have in my mind RSR Club racer, Tarmac 2 or GC 8k/8k with konis , but would like to have an opinion before making a decision.

Thank you!
fer3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #3293
Gearhead1

Drives: 2013 BRZ automatic
In trying to install Raceseng Cascams on my BRZ with OEM springs and Bilstein B6 struts, I found I do not have enough engagement of the nut on the strut stud. There is nothing interfering with proper seating of the components--even assembly on the bench with the spring removed results in the same outcome--only 7 1/2 turns (12 x 1.25 mm) of the nut onto the stud.

So far, the only response I have from Raceseng is that 7 1/2 turns is not enough, but they have not yet told me what my options are.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Gearhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #3294
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
In trying to install Raceseng Cascams on my BRZ with OEM springs and Bilstein B6 struts, I found I do not have enough engagement of the nut on the strut stud. There is nothing interfering with proper seating of the components--even assembly on the bench with the spring removed results in the same outcome--only 7 1/2 turns (12 x 1.25 mm) of the nut onto the stud.

So far, the only response I have from Raceseng is that 7 1/2 turns is not enough, but they have not yet told me what my options are.

Take a picture of your stackup from the side so we can see how it looks. You should be able to see how it all stacks up and compares to the ideal way.

The only thing I can think of is if the spring perch is too small on the inner diameter to clear the Bilsteins since they're non-inverted iirc. But that doesn't make too much sense because they worked just fine with my B14's.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #3295
Gearhead1

Quote:

Update:
Raceseng needs to create a shock nut with a longer nose to get proper engagement. They estimated a couple of months but said I should be able to use as is in the interim.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gearhead1 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-27-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 12:18 AM   #3296
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
OH Shit, you just found Mclaren's problems!

In theory, you're right, in practice no car goes around a corner with all four tires equally loaded, it's nigh on impossible, many fast cars lift an inside tire, there is often little benefit keeping that tire on the ground mid-corner. Rather it's better to have suspension compliance to maximize grip on the important tires in the important phases of the corner. A suspension stiff enough to keep all four tires on the ground in the hardest corner is likely to get upset by pavement irregularities and lose more time over a circuit than than a softer setup that lifts a wheel.

This guy must be haulin'!

(sorry, couldn't help it)
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 12:53 AM   #3297
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Can you provide evidence of this "official" information? Many people asked in the past and the people at Ohlins were not allowed to give any details of the changed spring rates. Additionally, there are no headquarters in Germany. They have just a distribution and test office at the Nürburgring. I live in Germany, so I know a bit better
I contacted Ohlins USA at the info on their website:

Öhlins USA
703 South Grove Street, Suite C
Hendersonville, NC 28792
info@ohlinsusa.com

Good guys that took the time to go over what I was looking to do and any questions I had, including why they no longer supply camber plates (basically cost vs other 3rd party plates). Apparently it was felt the old setup was more of a 'drift' setup and they received numerous comments and complaints about the balance. The new rates supposedly give a more compliant, balanced ride while still giving 'as good' lap times and response. They will happily re-valve and spring however you would like (fairly inexpensively too) but recommended trying the new setup first. They also recommended pairing with Vorshlag plates.

Since my current stock shocks are done, I'm ordering the new set of the Ohlins w/ Vorshlag and will set them to the same stock specs I've been using all along. Hopefully I can get some good lap data on my regular tracks to see the performance improvement before tweaking settings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (06-28-2017), sato (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #3298
Gearhead1

Quote:
Update:
Raceseng needs to create a shock nut with a longer nose to get proper engagement. They estimated a couple of months but said I should be able to use as is in the interim.
Further update: Raceseng reconsidered and recommended I not use as is.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #3299
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStratos View Post
What's your next car going to be?

Looking forward to your review :-)
BRZ......

Got it on Friday.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
jmark (07-08-2017), sato (07-03-2017), solidONE (07-04-2017), SStratos (07-03-2017), TachyonBomb (07-05-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #3300
SStratos

Drives: 2017 WRB Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
BRZ......

Got it on Friday.

- Andrew

Was at a Subaru meetup and BBQ here at Wolf Subaru Boundary in Vancouver and some of us were talking about KW V3's and RCE Tarmac 2's being built on the same platform so I wanted to ask you about their similarities/shared parts and warranty.

Also, you have been driving your new BRZ for a little while now and I'm wondering what your impressions are and what you will be doing suspension and wheel/tire wise?

Have fun :-)
SStratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:30 AM   #3301
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStratos View Post
Was at a Subaru meetup and BBQ here at Wolf Subaru Boundary in Vancouver and some of us were talking about KW V3's and RCE Tarmac 2's being built on the same platform so I wanted to ask you about their similarities/shared parts and warranty.

Also, you have been driving your new BRZ for a little while now and I'm wondering what your impressions are and what you will be doing suspension and wheel/tire wise?

Have fun :-)
I've been driving them for 5 years, I'm just pretty pumped to have one in my name finally. I do love these cars....so much fun. I ended up with a very lightly used 2016 model.

Myles (RCE owner) sold his a while ago. That was the shop car and test platform for a lot of our parts. Lots of time behind the wheel of that one. This one will be my daily driver and a little more low key.

I'll do a build thread soon. Let me know if you want details on the RCE T2s!

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
SStratos (07-10-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 02:43 AM   #3302
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
They also recommended pairing with Vorshlag plates.
I highly recommend the Vorshlag Motorsports camber plates. I run them on my car with MCS singles and they've been excellent, allowing for easy adjustment and silent operation. The top spherical bearing is larger than competitive camber plates and supposedly provides more longevity and reliability as a result - I guess time will tell. I also suggest that you look at their somewhat unique rear top shock mounts that incorporate the same oversized spherical bearing to eliminate binding.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (07-07-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 02:45 AM   #3303
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
RCE: indeed, do a build thread. It might be very interesting, what may someone having access to different options or even to build some one-off custom parts and having all that wast experience at suspension field may wish and decide for himself . Though my bet is that you may choose something modest and comfort/DD oriented, eg. like B6es , not something extreme/track oriented, and certainly not by any of points from your "how to screw up your cars handling and ride step by step" thread
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (07-04-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #3304
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
I highly recommend the Vorshlag Motorsports camber plates. I run them on my car with MCS singles and they've been excellent, allowing for easy adjustment and silent operation. The top spherical bearing is larger than competitive camber plates and supposedly provides more longevity and reliability as a result - I guess time will tell. I also suggest that you look at their somewhat unique rear top shock mounts that incorporate the same oversized spherical bearing to eliminate binding.
Already did, they are on the way with the suspension. They also assemble everything for you ahead of time so .

My only concern is they (Vorshlag) specifically warn about NVH with the rear mounts on a primarily daily driven car. Worst case I'll go back to stock uppers if they are that noisy.