follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #43
hamzam
Proud dad of 2 boys :)

Drives: Firestorm 6-MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
Ok, so point one, you still bought flares that don't actually properly fit the car, and you modified neither component (car, or flare) to fit them as you wanted to. What's the point of that? If I was hacking up my fenders, I'd be doing it right once.

Why would you want a -16 offset in the rear, when your flares are barely over top of the -6? If you went with a 18x11 or even 18x12 in a +15 to +25, you could have a bigger wheel that actually fits under the fender. This is even more pronounced in the front. It's crazy that you went with a +5 and only went 9.5 inches. Could have done a 10.5 or 11 with a +10 to +25.

Not sure what you mean with the tire size comment, does that mean you ordered the wrong tire sizes as well?

Sorry for such an overly negative post, but just trying to wrap my head around why you'd go through the trouble of ordering poorly sized and fitting wheels just as an excuse to stick cheap looking flares onto the car. I get that you love the Z, but there's plenty of other widebody solutions for this platform that you wouldn't have to compromise on.
In the end, I wanted my car to be one-of-one.

And I have a build thread which I will update later.

Here's a sampling:

(Full lock)

As for tires, I got these thru my supplier for $660 even. They didn't have anything good in the correct size, so I had to deal with it or pay an extra $400 plus shipping thru online... And tires would have been here today, in which case, car wouldn't be done.

Not that it's your issue, but I have vacation with my wife and kids next week, so.. Priorities first. This build couldn't interfere with that for obvious reasons :p

Also, wheels were $1,400... All labor done by myself, except welding and painting. I wish I was super rich, but this is all on a budget for this year. Spent too much last year.

Throw in misc costs such as buying beer for help at the shop after hours :p

I am enjoying my car, so that's all that counts.
hamzam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hamzam For This Useful Post:
8R6 (06-02-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #44
hamzam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF86 View Post
I can appreciate the work that went into this build. But since you're going for a track build, wouldn't it have been a better choice with a square wheel setup?

I can't imagine the awful understeer you would get with this staggered setup. Not to mention 285 tire is overkill for stock power unless you're running boost.
I want to boost in the future for sure, I can feel the cars desire for more power now with the bigger contact patch and slightly increased rotating mass.

Many Porsches come with staggered offset, staggered width and even staggered diameter.

Right now, I believe my car has a slightly wider track in the front, I have to double check. After some testing, the car has a tendency to oversteer, but there are other factors that a such as soft shocks and slightly more negative camber in the rear.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #45
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The tire/wheel setup is so overkill that it is detracting from the car's performance in every category - good luck with those at autox. Looks ok, probably drives like bleh; undoubtedly worse than stock. Cant imagine the guy who has 11s all around, haha. That is beyond usable grip and into wasted resistance.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #46
Brndn704

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Cant imagine the guy who has 11s all around, haha. That is beyond usable grip and into wasted resistance.
Yeah, cause I totally auto x and drift my car all the time. lol

Last edited by Brndn704; 06-02-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Brndn704 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brndn704 For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (06-03-2015), Tcoat (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #47
chulooz
Registered you sir

No one said you did ?
OP said he wants to autox. I cannot imagine the loads of understeer that comes with such setups - but we know it is not being done for performance. I wonder how he gets the rear to lose traction nevermind to oversteer?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #48
Brndn704

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
No one said you did ?
OP said he wants to autox. I cannot imagine the loads of understeer that comes with such setups - but we know it is not being done for performance. I wonder how he gets the rear to lose traction nevermind to oversteer?
"Cant imagine the guy who has 11s all around, haha. That is beyond usable grip and into wasted resistance."

I'm the guy with 11's all around. If I wanted "usable grip and resistance" I wouldn't have slammed my car either. Your statement didn't really need to be made towards me, unlike the OP I actually know what I'm doing. Sorry OP, but it's the truth. If you're going for looks this is wrong, and if you're going for a track set up this is wrong. Either way it's done wrong.
Brndn704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #49
hamzam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brndn704 View Post
"Cant imagine the guy who has 11s all around, haha. That is beyond usable grip and into wasted resistance."

I'm the guy with 11's all around. If I wanted "usable grip and resistance" I wouldn't have slammed my car either. Your statement didn't really need to be made towards me, unlike the OP I actually know what I'm doing. Sorry OP, but it's the truth. If you're going for looks this is wrong, and if you're going for a track set up this is wrong. Either way it's done wrong.
Looks is all preference, I didn't even know there was a wrong or a right! Sorry I don't intend to scrape

As for a track setup, we'll just have to wait and see (still gotta get more parts).

When you got to a real track day, they'll teach you all about "contact patch".

Car hasn't disappointed as far as maneuverability, in wet or dry. But I have a little *rub* i gotta take care of before I really toss it around.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #50
hamzam

Quote:
No one said you did ?

This car has a wider front track than rear, similar to mine.

It has loads and loads of understeer, you're absolutely right!
Old 06-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #51
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I see no pic but am assuming you're posting Ryan's car, his and your car have nothing in common.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #52
chulooz
Registered you sir

Looks can be pretty subjective. Interesting seeing someone who set up their car like a VW being harsh to another owner. 11s all around is beyond any function, it is embracing low and slow styling. I like his fender work and overall theme even though the tire choice is ricey. Either way both are expected in the scion scene - everyone gets to modify to taste.

Lol @ posting a dedicated, purpose-built rig and comparing the two.
The Following User Says Thank You to chulooz For This Useful Post:
hamzam (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #53
MrAnthonyC
Antagonist

Drives: 2014 Scion Fr-S (Firestorm)(stock)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
nice work and sweet car, OP.
MrAnthonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrAnthonyC For This Useful Post:
hamzam (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #54
hamzam

Quote:
Lol @ posting a dedicated, purpose-built rig and comparing the two.
hey now, just compared one THING not the two cars.

his car is way outta my league, no doubt.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #55
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzam View Post

This car has a wider front track than rear, similar to mine.

It has loads and loads of understeer, you're absolutely right!
Tuerck has a 2jz which is probably putting enough power down to work those tires real well.

Are you planning to add power?

Your car isn't my thing either, but it's also not my car and for that reason good on you for building it how you wanted.

Though, people are getting bent because it's not following previous trends (slammed) or performance standards (track).

I'm also on pro-kit springs and pretty surprised you can run that much tire under there lol. If I were you I would lower just a little more maybe half inch and toss in some camber.
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #56
hamzam

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post
Tuerck has a 2jz which is probably putting enough power down to work those tires real well.

Are you planning to add power?

Your car isn't my thing either, but it's also not my car and for that reason good on you for building it how you wanted.

Though, people are getting bent because it's not following previous trends (slammed) or performance standards (track).

I'm also on pro-kit springs and pretty surprised you can run that much tire under there lol. If I were you I would lower just a little more maybe half inch and toss in some camber.
That is exactly the plan, nothing excessive.