follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

View Poll Results: How would you rate the design of the 2nd gen? 1 lowest & 5 highest
1 19 7.20%
2 25 9.47%
3 62 23.48%
4 104 39.39%
5 54 20.45%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2020, 03:03 AM   #939
PandaEighty-Six

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86 GT Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Would literally buy this in a heartbeat.
Ditto. Quite literally one of the coolest cars to come out over the past five years and it's a real shame Honda couldn't just up the displacement and send something like this to the U.S. But then again, seeing the dismal situation of sports cars around the world, I can't blame them for not wanting to basically throw away hundreds of millions of dollars worth of R&D, manufacturing, etc. for a car that very few people would buy.

- Blitz air filter
PandaEighty-Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:12 AM   #940
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'd be OK with the new twins sounding like this (starts at 1:45):

Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
Red-86 (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 05:17 AM   #941
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I haven't followed much this discussion lately, but I find the new gen to be an overall improvement. I have read something about losing passion, but I don't get it. How do you lose passion if you improve almost every aspect of the old car? Next gen keeps the initial character with a high rev engine, improves chassis stiffness, eyesight is not available in the manual and they keep things simple. Of course, it is a bit heavier. It would be perfect if weight could be same like current gen, but given what you get the weight difference is very minimal. So, it doesn't lose its old character. We shouldn't be that much blindfolded just because Toyota didn't work much on this generation. Great job Subaru and finally a factory oil cooler in the engine!
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (11-28-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #942
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
I'd be OK with the new twins sounding like this (starts at 1:45):

Group C cars were the freaking best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #943
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
You prefer the engine/exhaust note of a turbo H4 to a NA H6? Well, that just goes to show how subjective preferences are.
Is that actually what you gathered from all that, because that isn’t remotely close to anything I said?
I don't think that preference is very widespread, however. Certainly not with the turbo H4s in the 718. Sales dropped notably when they switched to H4 only for the 718, so much so they had to quickly bring back H6 options (GT4, Boxster Spyder, GTS) to try and lure the Porsche fanatics back.

In any case, it will be interesting to see what the FA24D sounds like. I do hope they have improved the engine note, and haven't resorted to any artificial 'enhancement' through the speakers. Anyone know?
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #944
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
You prefer the engine/exhaust note of a turbo H4 to a NA H6? Well, that just goes to show how subjective preferences are.

I don't think that preference is very widespread, however. Certainly not with the turbo H4s in the 718. Sales dropped notably when they switched to H4 only for the 718, so much so they had to quickly bring back H6 options (GT4, Boxster Spyder, GTS) to try and lure the Porsche fanatics back.

In any case, it will be interesting to see what the FA24D sounds like. I do hope they have improved the engine note, and haven't resorted to any artificial 'enhancement' through the speakers. Anyone know?
Engine note preferences are even more subjective than appearance . Always have been. Unfortunately it isn't even something that is debatable since each person may not even be hearing the same thing.
To me the only exhaust note that beats a boxer, ANY boxer, is a big block V8. The higher the displacement the better the exhaust note. Inline 4s with their normally small displacement sound like chainsaws. This gets even worse when you go even smaller and add a turbo. Hondas are especially repellent to me. There is no exhaust in the world that will make them sound good to my ear and I would never consider buying one for that very reason.
Exhaust note is indeed something you can play with by different exhaust systems but can never truly change to far from the base. You will never make an inline 4 sound like a V8. Before anybody jumps in with their usual "well that is obvious" just look at the number of people that try to do exactly that!
Displacement has the greatest affect on the base exhaust sound of any of the factors and for that reason the FA24 should have a deeper tone than the FA20 even if everything else was kept equal. This can be heard in the various videos.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #945
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Boxers sound like shit unless they have 12 cylinders.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #946
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Boxers sound like shit unless they have 12 cylinders.
Not sure how you can say that. Flat 6 porches NA sound fantastic

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (11-28-2020), Red-86 (11-27-2020), StE92ve (11-27-2020), Tcoat (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #947
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Not sure how you can say that. Flat 6 porches NA sound fantastic

Quite easily.
V8s, V10s, and V12s all sound better.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #948
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I haven't followed much this discussion lately, but I find the new gen to be an overall improvement. I have read something about losing passion, but I don't get it. How do you lose passion if you improve almost every aspect of the old car? Next gen keeps the initial character with a high rev engine, improves chassis stiffness, eyesight is not available in the manual and they keep things simple. Of course, it is a bit heavier. It would be perfect if weight could be same like current gen, but given what you get the weight difference is very minimal. So, it doesn't lose its old character. We shouldn't be that much blindfolded just because Toyota didn't work much on this generation. Great job Subaru and finally a factory oil cooler in the engine!
All around the car is slightly bigger, heavier, more powerful and more up to date. None of the changes are are massive. This is a GOOD thing as myself and others were afraid they were going to take it in the mass market direction a that would have resulted in a radically different car. Unfortunately they sort of took it in the opposite direction and narrowed the target demographic. The overall design is cluttered and disjointed with different design aspects that conflict with each other. The whole front looks like it belongs on a different car and was just tacked onto basically a plain Jane rear.

All those vents and the inclusion of the oil cooler still lead, at least me, to believe they had heat issues with the FA24. They add weight, complexity and cost that the marketing spin of "more down force yo" just doesn't support the power and expected speeds of the car. There is more of a story to those vents than they will ever tell us. One of the beautiful things of the first gen was that the body design was smooth and "clean" making for a blank canvas for those that wished to modify. The new styling with the already protruding front fenders, the side "wings" (their words not mine) and whale tale trunk all actual body panels means there is already a painting on that canvas and people will need to paint over it and it's restrictions. No doubt the aftermarket will find ways to do this but I predict some pretty goofy looking finished projects with people trying work around what is there. Of course there are going to be plenty that love it as it is but we are back to that narrower demographic thing since it is much more of a "take it or leave it" design.

Not sure about the "passion" thing though. This version seems to be more of a build by the numbers and what does marketing think project than the first time around. It is much more of a case of making it fit with the rest of the Subaru lineup than the first gen design ever was. Things as basic as the "make the tail lights the same as all our other cars" all add up to a distinctly Subaru look. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but but is a different direction than the first gen "screw what the rest of the line up looks like this is distinct" designs. To me that is more of a car built by the book and even if improved it doesn't take passion to do that.

Now that engine. There will be piles of people saying "still not enough power". If so many screamed the FA20 should make "at least 300" to be any good they are not going to be satisfied with a 15% bump. If the loss to the wheels is about the same as the FA20 we are looking at about 190 to 200HP to the wheels. The larger displacement however will bring the torque on earlier. If all remains equal with gearing and diff this will make a much peppier car off the line and should satisfy (it won't but it should) most street driving needs. It will most certainly be an "improvement" over the current gen but it will not turn the car into a Mustang beating drag racer. The huge (yes it is huge) jump in compression ratio does concern me a bit. They may have pushed the engine so far that getting much more out of it may be interesting. Those with access to high end fuel and E85 can probably get significant gains with a simple tune and all stock parts. Those without are going to have a rough time. With that high a ratio, on anything below 93 octane, the car is going to pull timing and adjust fuel mixture so hard you will be lucky to get anything close to the rated power out of it much less add power. The risk of pre ignition at that ratio is just too great. Of course people will do the standard feel good mods such as light weight pullies, intake manifold spacers, etc but getting more air and fuel through the engine isn't going to resolve the need for the ECU to do what it needs to do to prevent knock and keep all the rods inside the block where they belong. The fact that the turbo version of this engine only runs at a 10.6:1 and and only makes 32 more horses is telling. Of course all this goes away for those with easy access to E85. They can probably do wonderful things with that engine.

All in all I know that I am accused of being "negative", a "hater" and just "justifying buying a First Gen" because I have not bowed to my knees and kissed Subaru's ass for this new Gen but in reality I feel it is a logical and appropriate next step. It is actually all I would have hoped it would be and in a good part what I predicted for the last 4 years. I was very afraid that it would be hybrid or butchered for mass market appeal and it wasn't. At one point there was the very real risk it would not be made at all and that would have been the real tragedy! That said I would not be interested in buying one unless it was the only option on the market. The styling just turns me right off and the improvements in the engine, stiffness, interior, etc all address complaints that I never had with the first gen. The 2017 updates actually created what I felt were the tweaks that made me happy. Oh, other than that damned stupid, amp bypassing, tin can sounding, useless hone hearing, piece of total trash, they can shove it up their $%#, horrible head unit they picked up at a clearance sale or something and threw in the 2020s.

Last edited by Tcoat; 11-27-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (11-27-2020), bcj (11-27-2020), Dadhawk (11-27-2020), jflogerzi (11-27-2020), Jordanwolf (11-27-2020), NaturallyAspirated (11-27-2020), nikitopo (11-28-2020), NoHaveMSG (11-27-2020), Pedro13 (11-27-2020), Sasquachulator (11-27-2020), Spuds (11-27-2020), Willpower (11-28-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #949
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
All around the car is slightly bigger, heavier, more powerful and more up to date. None of the are are massive. This is a GOOD thing as myself and others were afraid they were going to take it in the mass market direction a that would have resulted in a radically different car. Unfortunately they sort of took it in the opposite direction and narrowed the target demographic. The overall design is cluttered and disjointed with different design aspects that conflict with each other. The whole front looks like it belongs on a different car and was just tacked onto basically a plain Jane rear.

All those vents and the inclusion of the oil cooler still lead, at least me, to believe they had heat issues with the FA24. They add weight, complexity and cost that the marketing spin of "more down force yo" just doesn't support the power and expected speeds of the car. There is more of a story to those vents than the will ever tell us. One of the beautiful things of the first gen was that the body design was smooth and "clean" making for a blank canvas for those that wished to modify. The new styling with the already protruding front fenders, the side "wings" (their words not mine) and whale tale trunk all actual body panels means there is already a painting on that canvas and people will need to paint over it and it's restrictions. No doubt the aftermarket will find ways to do this but I predict some pretty goofy looking finished projects with people trying work around what is there. Of course there are going to be plenty that love it as it is but we are back to that narrower demographic thing since it is much more of a "take it or leave it" design.

Not sure about the "passion" thing though. This version seems to be more of a build by the numbers and what does marketing think project than the first time around. It is much more of a case of making it fit with the rest of the Subaru lineup than the first gen design ever was. Things as basic as the "make the tail lights the same as all our other cars" all add up to a distinctly Subaru look. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but but is a different direction than the first gen "screw what the rest of the line up looks like this is distinct" designs. To me that is more of a car built by the book and even if improved it doesn't take passion to do that.

Now that engine. There will be piles of people saying "still not enough power". If so many screamed the FA20 should make "at least 300" to be any good they are not going to be satisfied with a 15% bump. If the loss to the wheels is about the same as the FA20 we are looking at about 190 to 200HP to the wheels. The larger displacement however will bring the torque on earlier. If all remains equal with gearing and diff this will make a much peppier car off the line and should satisfy (it won't but it should) most street driving needs. It will most certainly be an "improvement" over the current gen but it will not turn the car into a Mustang beating drag racer. The huge (yes it is huge) jump in compression ratio does concern me a bit. They may have pushed the engine so far that getting much more out of it may be interesting. Those with access to high end fuel and E85 can probably get significant gains with a simple tune and all stock parts. Those without are going to have a rough time. With that high a ratio, on anything below 93 octane, the car is going to pull timing and adjust fuel mixture so hard you will be lucky to get anything close to the rated power out of it much less add power. The risk of pre ignition at that ratio is just too great. Of course people will do the standard feel good mods such as light weight pullies, intake manifold spacers, etc but getting more air and fuel through the engine isn't going to resolve the need for the ECU to do what it needs to do to prevent knock and keep all the rods inside the block where they belong. The fact that the turbo version of this engine only runs at a 10.6:1 and and only makes 32 more horses is telling. Of course all this goes away for those with easy access to E85. They can probably do wonderful things with that engine.

All in all I know that I am accused of being "negative", a "hater" and just "justifying buying a First Gen" because I have not bowed to my knees and kissed Subaru's ass for this new Gen but in reality I feel it is a logical and appropriate next step. It is actually all I would have hoped it would be and in a good part what I predicted for the last 4 years. I was very afraid that it would be hybrid or butchered for mass market appeal and it wasn't. At one point there was the very real risk it would not be made at all and that would have been the real tragedy! That said I would not be interested in buying one unless it was the only option on the market. The styling just turns me right off and the improvements in the engine, stiffness, interior, etc all address complaints that I never had with the first gen. The 2017 updates actually created what I felt were the tweaks that made me happy. Oh, other than that damned stupid, amp bypassing, tin can sounding, useless hone hearing, piece of total trash, they can shove it up their $%#, horrible head unit they picked up at a clearance sale or something and threw in the 2020s.
Mic drop and end of thread discussion. All solid points and I feel most are spot on.

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-27-2020), Tcoat (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #950
Tokay444
Anti stance.

tl;dr.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #951
Tcoat

Quote:
tl;dr.
Car good
Not huge changes
Engine need prove self
Ugly (subjective)
Don't want
Dadhawk (11-27-2020), Jordanwolf (11-27-2020), NoHaveMSG (11-27-2020), Tokay444 (11-28-2020), Willpower (11-28-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #952
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Quite easily.
V8s, V10s, and V12s all sound better.
Does your wife look bad because there are models that look better?

Does every car that is not a Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini inherently look bad too?

I like the sound of my car. I know the Subie or Porsche fanboys would argue the contrary.

You are entitled to your subjective opinion of course.
gymratter (11-27-2020), Jordanwolf (11-27-2020), Tcoat (11-27-2020), Willpower (11-28-2020)