follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #561
ICantAffordAnLFA

Drives: Brz, Legacy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
Big news on the AP Racing road car systems gentlemen. We are officially getting the fully built AP Racing front and rear system that fits stock wheels!

I'm going to start a new thread on them and get all the details up on our blog. Thanks.:happy0180:
Are they different from these ones on the uk ap page?

Had a quick look at these and I'm not sure they'd fit even under my 18s
ICantAffordAnLFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #562
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Details are up on our blog page.

Quote:
Are they different from these ones on the uk ap page?

Had a quick look at these and I'm not sure they'd fit even under my 18s
Yes, these are the same. They will more or less completely fill the OEM wheels up. There are wheel fitment templates available to check wheels...see my link above. Thanks.

Ro_Ja...this one's for you kid.

JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #563
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
@JRitt
Will there be an overhaul/service kit for the competition systems? I don't fancy sending calipers 1/2 way around the world to get serviced.

ta
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #564
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
@JRitt
Will there be an overhaul/service kit for the competition systems? I don't fancy sending calipers 1/2 way around the world to get serviced.

ta
Yes, absolutely! We have all of the components for the CP8350 calipers we use in our Competition Systems on the shelf. You can read about our caliper recertification service on the essex site. FYI...I don't expect this is something you're going to need to do very often. I know a lot of people worry about this, but the reality is different from perception. For example, we've had our T1 Corvette Competition kits in service for a few seasons now, and we've only had a few sets come back to us. Those were from the fastest guys running SCCA T1 races at every possible opportunity, winning national level races, etc., and it was more of a preventative/competitive measure than anything. The AP Racing CP8350 & CP8250 calipers are stout (8250 is the axial mount version used in circle track racing). We have many thousands of them on tracks every week, and they take a serious beating and keep on tickin'.

From our site:
Essex is AP Racing's official North American caliper reconditioning center. We have skilled service technicians rebuilding hundreds of AP Racing calipers each year for the top teams in NASCAR Sprint Cup, ALMS, etc.

Hardness testing: After disassembly your calipers will be Rockwell hardness tested against the standard for that particular caliper type as sold new. This test provides a relative understanding of how much fatigue and stiffness loss your calipers have experienced. Tired calipers lead to pad tapering, increased pad wear, leaky seals, and a loss of pedal firmness, all things you want to avoid. Essex will make a replace or rebuild recommendation based on the results of this test.

Ultrasonic cleaning: After passing the hardness test, your calipers will be placed in an ultrasonic cleaner to remove all dirt, debris, brake fluid, etc. This method produces results that are far superior to what the average racer could accomplish via hand-cleaning.

Inspection and re-assembly: All serviceable parts of the caliper will be inspected and replaced if necessary, including the seals, abutment plates, pistons, and bleed screws.

Cyclical Pressure Testing: After your calipers have been rebuilt, they will be cycled at high and low pressure on a pressure bench to ensure proper functioning. This is important, as certain leaks only show up under specific pressure conditions.

Price: The labor price to rebuild a CP8350 is $78 per caliper. That does not include parts. Assuming there has been no damage to the caliper, Essex typically recommends replacing the seals ($40) and bleed screws ($15) during the standard reconditioning process. For roughly $125, you can have a fresh, professionally serviced caliper in peak operating condition.

JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #565
ICantAffordAnLFA

What spacer is reqd to get stock alloys over the endurance kit.

My car will sit on the stock wheels between trackdays; no real mileage on them though
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #566
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICantAffordAnLFA View Post

My car will sit on the stock wheels between trackdays; no real mileage on them though
No idea.. 10mm allows them to clear the sprint. The design of the OEM spokes make me think it'll require even more. At 10mm+ you need extended studs IMO, or spacers with the studs built in.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
ICantAffordAnLFA (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #567
ICantAffordAnLFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
No idea.. 10mm allows them to clear the sprint. The design of the OEM spokes make me think it'll require even more. At 10mm+ you need extended studs IMO, or spacers with the studs built in.
might just by some used cheapo 18s instead
Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #568
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICantAffordAnLFA View Post

Make the template with 10mm more space where the spacer would be. Trial and error.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #569
MSTiFK8R

Drives: BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just in case, maybe someone also has this question, as only hyper-racers live in this thread

WHEN would one want to switch to harder wheel studs than OEM?

I have Endurance kit and plan beat the shit out of it, so the wheel (studs ) would get hard time on the track. Should I upgrade to, say, ARP from OEM if dont need LONGER studs?
MSTiFK8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #570
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTiFK8R View Post
Just in case, maybe someone also has this question, as only hyper-racers live in this thread

WHEN would one want to switch to harder wheel studs than OEM?

I have Endurance kit and plan beat the shit out of it, so the wheel (studs ) would get hard time on the track. Should I upgrade to, say, ARP from OEM if dont need LONGER studs?
OEM studs often don't take kindly to removing/installing the lugnuts when hot. ARP studs also have a "bullet" nose to make quickly installing the threads easy (more important for pit stops on a race car than our cars but it still makes it easier). Also extended studs make installing wheels easier as they hold the wheel on better and have plenty of threads to start threading the lugnut without having to hold the wheel.

A few guys here have broken OEM studs already. I mostly replaced mine for the lazy installation benefits. I'm a fan of ARP studs.
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #571
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
Big news on the AP Racing road car systems gentlemen. We are officially getting the fully built AP Racing front and rear system that fits stock wheels!

I'm going to start a new thread on them and get all the details up on our blog. Thanks.:happy0180:
Don't most people who want a BBK already have aftermarket wheels?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #572
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Don't most people want a BBK that has great clearance
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #573
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Probably but they may want to use stock wheels on the street (or track, or winter, or as spares, etc).
Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #574
ICantAffordAnLFA

So I guess you guys that have these kits on, are just changing the pads out for your road miles?

How material is the lack of boot in the piston corrosion / road salt argument?

Not planning on driving in high salt conditions but there is always the risk it will be around.