follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Another new article -- a few new details...

Hot 86 models to come, but no Celica badge yet

According to Tada-san, the FT-86's engine and platform are both unique to the car and not directly shared with any other Subaru models. He says the powerplant was developed from scratch for the car using "the latest technology from both companies" with Toyota's environmental goals in mind.

Insiders suggest the engine is an amalgam of Subaru's next generation Boxer powerplant with Toyota's own direct-injection heads, induction and fueling hardware. Tada-san says all the performance benchmarks are Toyota's.
Highly interesting, especially to people (including myself) who come off more as Toyota purists than others. It sounds like Toyota has more engineering behind the drivetrain in this car than people were originally expecting. Happy news for me!

Quote:
Though a naturally-aspirated powerplant is fitted to the concept car, Tada-san says higher performance versions are on the cards. He even hints the car may launch with both standard and high-performance versions.

Not STI, but TRD, he joked adding: "Those sort of 'customised version' -- we have something of their sort in our mind. So please raise your expectations.
Also very very interesting. Only time will tell what exactly the high-performance version will have over the standard version. As long as the standard version still comes with 4-wheel disc, a LSD, and not a severely downgraded version of the engine (think 4A-C vs. 4A-GE), then they can have the high-performance model for all I care. I'll take the standard.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #16
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
To me, it sounds like nothing but good things to come.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #17
FT150

Drives: Mitsubishi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
October 22, 2009 Motortrend: FT-86 Will be "Best in the World" for drifting: Celica name may be revived.
http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/...ame/index.html
FT150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #18
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Surprised Motortrend is using the name Celica so loosely with this car, as nothing has been confirmed. Then again, I suppose it does get a broader scope of people to go to the website to read the article.

Guarantee this thing won't be called a Celica, well, at least in Japan. Why? Its not a Celica. Its not modeled after the Celica, not inspired by the Celica, and isn't the product of Celica driver's undying committment to an aged cult classic.

If its called a Celica in America then people at Toyota USA need to get canned.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #19
FT150

Drives: Mitsubishi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Surprised Motortrend is using the name Celica so loosely with this car, as nothing has been confirmed. Then again, I suppose it does get a broader scope of people to go to the website to read the article.

Guarantee this thing won't be called a Celica, well, at least in Japan. Why? Its not a Celica. Its not modeled after the Celica, not inspired by the Celica, and isn't the product of Celica driver's undying committment to an aged cult classic.

I agree 100%
FT150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:49 AM   #20
My86

Drives: Hopefully a toyobaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post

You put my thoughts on that article in better words than I could have. They better not call this thing the Celica. It should get a completely new and fresh name befitting the fresh and new approach they are taking with this car.
My86 is offline   Reply With Quote