follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Tougerenner

Drives: 08 sti
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota will revive the AWD GT-Four!!

Saw this on NASIOC cross listed from another forum. I will try to find the real article ASAP. Hopefully its not an April fools.

Quote:
March 31, 2010
Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC)

Toyota Press Conference speech - New York Auto Show 2010

James Lentz, chief operating officer of Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc.

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen - and welcome. I would like to open our press conference today by referring to a statement made by our founder more than 70 years
ago, which we display in our dealerships across Europe.

“I want everybody to put their efforts together and unite in finding a way to make superior quality
vehicles.” Kiichiro Toyoda, May 1939 - Founder, Toyota Motor Corporation.

As you know, over the last few weeks, we have been going through the most extensive
recall campaign in our history. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all our dealers as well as their technicians and salesmen who have been handling customers' enquiries and repairs
with efficiency and dedication; and of course all my colleagues for their efforts, and
those institutions and authorities who have been cooperating with us.

As you know Toyota has created a heritage of exciting sports models. From the Celica to the MR2, and the Supra we look forward to the new FT-86 Concept. Now, with its distinctive front
engine and real-wheel drive configuration, the FT-86 Concept is ready to introduce the
next generation of Toyota sports cars. It is extremely light, with a low centre of gravity.
This delivers an instant, precise response to even the slightest throttle and steering
input.
Considering the demand from spiritual drivers and to satisfy our loyal customers even more we are working on a four wheel drive option for the FT-86 as it was for the Celica from 1986 to 1998. While the production name is still being reconsidered, the car will wear GT-Four badge in Europe and Japan, as well as All-Trac badge in the USA. The AWD model will be slightly longer with shorter wheelbase and will deliver superior performance and extremely balanced and driver oriented handling. When we introduce the FT-86 Concept models in early 2012, it will bring real joy in the Toyota showroom.

I thank you very much for
your attention - and please join me at the Scion press conference, which begins in a few
minutes, for another two sensational vehicles.

Toyota press conference- New York Auto Show 2010, 31 March 2010
Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
yera

Drives: Corolla e11
Sounds very very nice
Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
ONE
lol wut

Drives: ST184
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
whoa really? a GT4 version? looks like this really may be the celica replacement with a different badge
Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
longer with a shorter wheel base? Uh....cool announcement though..I still want the rear drive only version. I think this will make subie guys happy because it explains how subie will get 4wd. Also hints at celica name, I still wants something different then celica....now I'm just rambling...
Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
dilly-o

Drives: 1996 300ZX
april fools...move along
Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
It's an April Fool's joke

I've been at the New York Auto Show press days and Toyota has not and will not even be holding a press conference.

Closed Thread