follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2021, 11:29 PM   #43
jrhudson

Drives: 2016 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So @Ultramaroon might actually be right. I took off the engine sprocket and got it out. Seems like there are burrs on there. Dunno if its saveable yet.

I also noticed all the rocker arms near the inner part of the rollers there some burrs on it. Is this normal? Or trash? All of them have 16 rockers look like this.

I also found another chunk of the center sprocket.

The pics of the pistons are of the RH bank. They have some marring/scarring on the tops of them. Maybe from the valves? Ill look more tomorrow.
Attached Images

jrhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:02 AM   #44
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,514 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Bent valves.

I don't know how the rest of the valve train holds up to a thrashing. Stock rockers aren't very stout.

Now the judgement calls become more difficult. Inspect everything super carefully.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:55 AM   #45
jrhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Bent valves.

I don't know how the rest of the valve train holds up to a thrashing. Stock rockers aren't very stout.

Now the judgement calls become more difficult. Inspect everything super carefully.
hopefully its only just valves. I didnt do a good inspection of the heads and valve area yet but will do.

i totally forgot this though. this is the first time i've opened the engine ever but in the oil pickup there was all this silicone/threebond. From the factory?
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #46
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
i totally forgot this though. this is the first time i've opened the engine ever but in the oil pickup there was all this silicone/threebond. From the factory?
If you are the first to open it then yes that is from the factory. This is why it’s super important to do it right when putting it back together. Look at all the people with blown engines after the recall. They are all from bad packing application. I already said it in another post in this thread but use the recall instructions (even if you don’t have a 2013, they are all the same) when putting it back together. It is WAY, WAAAY more detailed than the original instructions in the service manual.

Curious what year you have because word is they improved packing application post 2013.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #47
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
hopefully its only just valves. I didnt do a good inspection of the heads and valve area yet but will do.

those are rookie numbers. but all sarcasm aside, that is what was caught, you know more went thought the pump
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:40 PM   #48
jrhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
If you are the first to open it then yes that is from the factory. This is why it’s super important to do it right when putting it back together. Look at all the people with blown engines after the recall. They are all from bad packing application. I already said it in another post in this thread but use the recall instructions (even if you don’t have a 2013, they are all the same) when putting it back together. It is WAY, WAAAY more detailed than the original instructions in the service manual.

Curious what year you have because word is they improved packing application post 2013.
its a 2016 frs.

I recall your post from another thread about the recall instructions but i cant find them. Well i think i did but it doesnt show how the sealant maps. They are more detail though. This one
or this one
Old 04-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #49
ermax

Quote:
its a 2016 frs.

I recall your post from another thread about the recall instructions but i cant find them. Well i think i did but it doesnt show how the sealant maps. They are more detail though. This one
or this one
Looks like they have been updated about 4 bazillion times since I last looked. I need to go through the 60 or so PDFs they have attached to the recall now.

At a glance this looks more like what I was referring to:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-3400.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
jrhudson (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 05:54 PM   #50
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Looks like they have been updated about 4 bazillion times since I last looked. I need to go through the 60 or so PDFs they have attached to the recall now.

At a glance this looks more like what I was referring to:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-3400.pdf
I know! Been going through my stash all morning. Need a damn index.

This one's good too. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-0191.pdf
Old 04-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #51
jrhudson

I went ahead yesterday and took out the valves that were hitting the pistons. They were the intake side that was hitting them. They have the same marking on them as the pistons. The valves, IMO, weren't bent. So some kind of goodish news for my engine.

Couldn't put them back in since the tool i had was too big for the keepers/retainers? to have them seat properly.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #52
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I went ahead yesterday and took out the valves that were hitting the pistons. They were the intake side that was hitting them. They have the same marking on them as the pistons. The valves, IMO, weren't bent.
Maybe I missed where you mentioned doing more precise checks, but I think that's a lot of faith in a visual with the amount of other damage that's going on. Those valves should be checked by a machinist if you plan to reuse them, there's no case where valves hitting a piston aren't experiencing extreme forces at angles they were never meant to handle.

That and the call to check crank runout are the most important things that haven't been done IMO. An intake valve that's seating improperly because of an imperceptible deformation is going to leak and cause abnormal flow of air into the combustion chamber. They'll also eventually fail because they're no longer as strong after a deformation. Any crank that isn't within and can't be machined within OEM spec is unbalanced trash.

I want to see this rebuild be successful, don't let cost savings blind you to the risks of reusing parts without making sure they're up to the task.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anticubus For This Useful Post:
jrhudson (04-25-2021), Ultramaroon (04-25-2021), Wally86 (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #53
jrhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticubus View Post
Maybe I missed where you mentioned doing more precise checks, but I think that's a lot of faith in a visual with the amount of other damage that's going on. Those valves should be checked by a machinist if you plan to reuse them, there's no case where valves hitting a piston aren't experiencing extreme forces at angles they were never meant to handle.

That and the call to check crank runout are the most important things that haven't been done IMO. An intake valve that's seating improperly because of an imperceptible deformation is going to leak and cause abnormal flow of air into the combustion chamber. They'll also eventually fail because they're no longer as strong after a deformation. Any crank that isn't within and can't be machined within OEM spec is unbalanced trash.

I want to see this rebuild be successful, don't let cost savings blind you to the risks of reusing parts without making sure they're up to the task.
You and me both buddy. I'm just relaying what I see. They're going to be torn down/inspected by IAG and have em' refreshed/machined while they're there. I'm not going to use the stock block anyways. I opted for an IAG short block and have them long block assemble it for me. Also, I can't find anyone locally that could do this. In the back of my mind I already had a thought of simply replacing the intake valves since why not. Yes I agree to the human eye they might seem good but micrometers differences we can't see matter. I don’t want to leave the impression that I wasn’t going have it look over by professional. Thanks for looking out.

I haven't really seen anyone have this issue before. The pics/info are for future others if anyone had this dumb problem later on.

Last edited by jrhudson; 04-25-2021 at 04:07 PM. Reason: stuffs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrhudson For This Useful Post:
anticubus (04-25-2021), Wally86 (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 04:59 PM   #54
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I would probably still replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ultramaroon (02-16-2023)
Old 04-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #55
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I know! Been going through my stash all morning. Need a damn index.

This one's good too. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-0191.pdf
That is actually the one I had in mind but wasn't about to go through all of them from my phone to find it. I need to bookmark this one although I hope to not need to rebuild this thing ever again. Hahaha
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 11:56 PM   #56
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
That is actually the one I had in mind but wasn't about to go through all of them from my phone to find it. I need to bookmark this one although I hope to not need to rebuild this thing ever again. Hahaha
I bookmarked all of them and went through all trying to find an order to the file numbering.

Nope. There's meaningful metadata but I haven't gone through all the files to match dates to corresponding page groups. Got sick of it again.