follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #29
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
After many, many hours of talking, emailing, reading, and considering all the relevant advice (& discarding the hearsay and nonsense)...

I’ve ordered an intercooled Sprintex 210 SPS kit. The SPS did cost a few extra bucks and ultimately I decided to do it because efficiency isn’t only about the added power, but about better airflow and heat management too..

I also went Sprintex in the end for a few other key reasons (in no particular order);

1. The biggest factor in the end was Local support. My local installer is close enough so if I experience any issues I’m not trying to get help across an ocean and different time zones.
He’s also worked with Delicious for years and installed quite a few Sprintex kits.

2. After riding in a few different cars I really enjoyed the low and midrange torque. I don’t care if the top end if down on other kits... let’s face it, outside of a track hardly anyone drives in the 6-7,000rpm range for longer than a few seconds.
I enjoyed the rotrex/centrifugal cars I went in, but without revs they didn’t really have too much excitement which means I don’t think they’re better “street” options.

3. The SC whine. I bought this car because it is RWD and fun... the whine adds to the fun.

4. Many potential issues are already resolved via the tuners, this forum, previous owners, etc.

5. My tune is being done by Delicious... went in a local SPS car and the pull was smooth, gear changes perfect, no surge, no jerky throttle (even with slow pull offs, normal driving)... in fact nothing different from the factory in terms of characteristics - except the awesome power increase of course.

Should be installed in the next couple of weeks
It’s been a long time coming, so I can’t wait
It will be awesome, enjoy! Looking forward to seeing your updates.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #30
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
After many, many hours of talking, emailing, reading, and considering all the relevant advice (& discarding the hearsay and nonsense)...

I’ve ordered an intercooled Sprintex 210 SPS kit. The SPS did cost a few extra bucks and ultimately I decided to do it because efficiency isn’t only about the added power, but about better airflow and heat management too..

I also went Sprintex in the end for a few other key reasons (in no particular order);

1. The biggest factor in the end was Local support. My local installer is close enough so if I experience any issues I’m not trying to get help across an ocean and different time zones.
He’s also worked with Delicious for years and installed quite a few Sprintex kits.

2. After riding in a few different cars I really enjoyed the low and midrange torque. I don’t care if the top end if down on other kits... let’s face it, outside of a track hardly anyone drives in the 6-7,000rpm range for longer than a few seconds.
I enjoyed the rotrex/centrifugal cars I went in, but without revs they didn’t really have too much excitement which means I don’t think they’re better “street” options.

3. The SC whine. I bought this car because it is RWD and fun... the whine adds to the fun.

4. Many potential issues are already resolved via the tuners, this forum, previous owners, etc.

5. My tune is being done by Delicious... went in a local SPS car and the pull was smooth, gear changes perfect, no surge, no jerky throttle (even with slow pull offs, normal driving)... in fact nothing different from the factory in terms of characteristics - except the awesome power increase of course.

Should be installed in the next couple of weeks
It’s been a long time coming, so I can’t wait
Great choice! Get ready for maintenance free miles!

The stock air box is fine, but when/if you really want to unlock the whine, pick up the Moto east intake. It'll only give a bit of power but it triples the whine volume and clarity. Cheers!
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (10-29-2017), Tristor (02-28-2018)
Old 10-29-2017, 04:27 AM   #31
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Great choice! Get ready for maintenance free miles!

The stock air box is fine, but when/if you really want to unlock the whine, pick up the Moto east intake. It'll only give a bit of power but it triples the whine volume and clarity. Cheers!
Thanks. I realised that the sound is a big part of the fun... probably going to see what it sounds like with the stock box first, but nice tip.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:08 AM   #32
86 South Africa

Garage
Ima just leave this little tit-bit here;

From: http://www.dashengst.com/gt86-frs-br...kit-210ps.html

SPS UPGRADE
The Sprintex Performance Series (SPS) blower features advanced rotor technology that improves rotor performance and efficiency for a 25% increase in boost over the standard Sprintex blower. Available for purchase either as an upgrade to existing systems, or as an add-on performance option, the new SPS Blower is proven to increase HP 10-20% over the standard Sprintex system and torque 5 to 15% across a broad RPM range.

"The SPS features the same bolt pattern and dimensions as the standard Sprintex blower for ease of installation. Manufactured under ISO 9001 oversight, the SPS has the same quality materials and finish as the current blower model and will be the basis for the Stage II power packages soon to be introduced in 2016."
Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #33
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Hell YES!!! Another SPS user! I had one of the first production consumer SPS kits here in Australia. It ran AWESOME. I regret every day swapping that out for a turbo system.

I had mine tuned with Delicious Tuning on flex fuel and boy did it put down the power. It surprised everyone who drove it. I originally had it on a Sprintex tune and it was... less that impressive. I was questioning why I even spent so much money and went home after the install and tune and questioned all my life decisions.

I went with Delicious Tuning at the time due to their claim of being able to tune the Sprintex 210 on E85 with 69mm pulley while retaining stock injectors. I MAXED out my injectors at about 6000 rpm. Maxed. Uncomfortable is anything above 85% duty cycle. I maxed them out. If that doesn't show the efficiency I don't know what else will.
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COO86L For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-07-2017), Tristor (02-28-2018)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #34
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by COO86L View Post
Hell YES!!! Another SPS user! I had one of the first production consumer SPS kits here in Australia. It ran AWESOME. I regret every day swapping that out for a turbo system.

I had mine tuned with Delicious Tuning on flex fuel and boy did it put down the power. It surprised everyone who drove it. I originally had it on a Sprintex tune and it was... less that impressive. I was questioning why I even spent so much money and went home after the install and tune and questioned all my life decisions.

I went with Delicious Tuning at the time due to their claim of being able to tune the Sprintex 210 on E85 with 69mm pulley while retaining stock injectors. I MAXED out my injectors at about 6000 rpm. Maxed. Uncomfortable is anything above 85% duty cycle. I maxed them out. If that doesn't show the efficiency I don't know what else will.
Thanks for the note man... this makes me *super* excited.

I have the FF kit already and I decided to spend the extra on injectors and fuel pump, so I’m really keen to see what it’s like on e85.
I had a ride in one with the same setup, but only running on normal gas and that was just soooooo good. Butter smooth power from 2k!

I’m happily going with Delicious too, and the 69mm pulley (I live 6,000ft above sea level though).

So why’d you go turbo... and which kit did you move to?
Tristor (02-28-2018)
Old 11-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #35
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I didn't read the whole thread but FWIW, it seems guys running superchargers have more heat issues then some of us turbo guys.

I have a personal friend with a JRSC, its a great kit but his car gets hot just cruising around on a really hot summer day. I almost didn't believe him when he first started telling me about it.

I talked to multiple tuners that steered me away from the supercharger route as that was my original plan as well, however this was for my use case, which is more track oriented than street.

Also going with a supercharger on a stock motor is going to limit your end power goal. Low end torque is a killer of the FA20, and its harder to keep the torque number down earlier in the power band on a supercharger versus a turbo setup.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #36
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
Also going with a supercharger on a stock motor is going to limit your end power goal. Low end torque is a killer of the FA20, and its harder to keep the torque number down earlier in the power band on a supercharger versus a turbo setup.
It's the opposite.

I think your friends car would be running hot with any FI setup if it was running hot with a JRSC.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
Bfranklyn86 (11-09-2017), Tristor (02-28-2018)
Old 11-08-2017, 11:47 PM   #37
Superstar

Drives: Honda
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Harrop seems to be the best option for the track. Lots of track guys seem to have overheating issues with the JRSC.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #38
Docmattic

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COO86L View Post

Would there be much of a difference between the sprintex and delicious tunes if you are just on 98?
Docmattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #39
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but FWIW, it seems guys running superchargers have more heat issues then some of us turbo guys.

I have a personal friend with a JRSC, its a great kit but his car gets hot just cruising around on a really hot summer day. I almost didn't believe him when he first started telling me about it.

I talked to multiple tuners that steered me away from the supercharger route as that was my original plan as well, however this was for my use case, which is more track oriented than street.

Gotta say I’ve been told the opposite generally.
Either way though I did notice many tuners try to gently nudge people towards the kits/options they know better

I did a ton of research and for me this kit was the best overall option... plus I don’t like turbo lag.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #40
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
Would there be much of a difference between the sprintex and delicious tunes if you are just on 98?
I’m told 10-20% better hp and tq depending on tune, car, mods, etc.
Also just adds the last bit of efficiency.

I’ve been in a normal 210 supercharged car and the SPS version... personally I could feel the difference.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #41
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Harrop seems to be the best option for the track. Lots of track guys seem to have overheating issues with the JRSC.
I think the Harrow kit is great... but it was still like 10% more expensive for me here than even the SPS kit, and then still needs something like the delicious d-box to clean up some of the airflow signal (I.e. another cost).
Old 11-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #42
amcp1

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
JRSC kit here.
I've had no issues with overheating on track or cruising.
Coolant temps are usually around 195-210. Oil temps havent gone over 240-245.
This is was during 90+ degree weather and higher humidity.
However, I dont redline the car on track, usually shift at 7000rpm.
amcp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amcp1 For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-12-2017)