follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #127
Stark Performance

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr blue View Post
Thanks Mike, for the very detailed possibilities that could be causing my problem. First thing I'll do, is master the art of checking the fluid level. Then through process of elimination I'll work backwards towards the stock configuration. Once I'm satisfied the fluid level is correct, I'll disconnect the cooler hoses at the transmission and just put a loop between the in and out. Hopefully between here and there we learn something.....and manual mode starts working. One more question, have you personally seen or heard of a transmission working perfect, except no manual mode? Thanks again for your time and input. I'll keep you posted.
No problem. Our cooler kits come with instructions on how to perform the refill procedure and it really isn't that bad if you follow the steps. You will need to make a jumper wire and connect two pins on the OBDII port together and follow the procedure to enter fluid temperature detection mode. The procedure is also covered in the factory service manual which is available from a link on this forum somewhere.

I think someone may have had an issue with manual mode, but I didn't find the thread in the 5 minutes I devoted to searching for it. I know that if the transmission is overheated, manual mode will be partially disabled to protect the transmission.
Stark Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stark Performance For This Useful Post:
mr blue (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 10:58 PM   #128
mr blue

Drives: 2015 fr-s
Good news, Manual Mode is now working and we learned something along the way. Turns out it was pilot error. We had done what we thought was a real sanitary install, just didn't work. We had mounted the cooler vertical and used a couple of 90s to get the Marine/Aircraft look. Did look nice, but didn't work (most REALLY good looking women can't cook ). What we learned was with the cooler being somewhat restrictive (Thanks Mike) cooler mounted vertical and the 90s, the system was just too restrictive to be happy. Soon as we disconnected the cooler from at the transmission and installed a loop, manual mode was up and running. Then it was just a matter of doing away with the 90s and installing the cooler in a horizontal position. Not sure if just removing the 90s might have worked, but we wanted the fluid to have the least amount of resistance as possible. We may install a thermostat later if needed.

We did not do a fluid level check at this time. That being said, I think everyone should do this, just to make sure the factory got it right (stranger things have happened). I have a hacked up OBDII cable with just leads for pins 13 and 4 exposed. I was ready to do this if the above procedure didn't work. I will be doing it in the next few days. It was really hot here yesterday. Temperature right at 100 and 100+ in the shop. Transmission temp was almost at test temp before we started and I was past test temp I always felt like the fluid level wasn't the problem, but you never know and I can see where that's the first place to start, if you are having problems. We were careful to capture all fluid during install and checked and double checked our calculations for the hoses and cooler.
mr blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr blue For This Useful Post:
snidd111 (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #129
mr blue

Drives: 2015 fr-s
@SniddIII

I wouldn't worry too much about checking fluid level. I do think it's important to know how, just so you can. Don't let that stop you from installing your cooler. Just capture all lost fluid during install, calculate cooler and hoses, add the lost fluid to the numbers and you'll do fine.
mr blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr blue For This Useful Post:
snidd111 (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #130
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
You're playing with fire if you are driving the car around without performing the fluid level procedure. Fluid a couple of mm off in either direction can change how well the transmission works. Not sure how many times multiple people have to say it for it to sink in.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:10 AM   #131
Wayno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon86 View Post
actually it does. IF your oil cooler core is efficient enough to cool down your oil, you wont be able to keep the oil on the preferred operating temperature. unless my car is a dedicated track car then i guess not having a thermostat would be more beneficial. the thermostat opens up at 180F. so if my temp is still below 180F, it wont allow the ATF to run thru the setrab core. instead, it re-routes it back straight to the heat exchanger. so i dont see anything on my diagram that would block the oil line and stop the ATF to circulate.

Derale Fluid Control Thermostats are highly recommended for both engines and transmissions. As the fluid temperatures exceed 180°F the thermostatic valve closes, allowing 95% flow through the oil cooler. At temps below 180°F the valve is open, with 90% of the oil bypassing the cooler. The remaining 10% of the oil flows through the cooler, maintaining constant system pressure, preventing air pockets and eliminating cold oil shock.

Features:
Bypasses cooler at 180°F
Provides quicker warm-up temps
Perfect for cold weather climates
Can be rotated 180° to switch flow direction
Flows up to 20 Gallons per minute
Rated up to 200psi
Ultra bright finish
New Billet style design

Ok, I get it now finally. Thanks

$52 (180F)
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...3011/overview/

$77 (160F)
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hda-163/overview/

$189
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-th...85f-p-212.html

$189
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-th...15f-p-434.html

On top of that, the last 2 are +$40-$50 shipping to Australia, plus fx rate, making them about 3x what my cooler costs haha!
Old 10-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #132
Wayno

Have you mounted the thermostat? Where? It's pretty damn heavy.

Quote:
actually it does. IF your oil cooler core is efficient enough to cool down your oil, you wont be able to keep the oil on the preferred operating temperature. unless my car is a dedicated track car then i guess not having a thermostat would be more beneficial. the thermostat opens up at 180F. so if my temp is still below 180F, it wont allow the ATF to run thru the setrab core. instead, it re-routes it back straight to the heat exchanger. so i dont see anything on my diagram that would block the oil line and stop the ATF to circulate.

Derale Fluid Control Thermostats are highly recommended for both engines and transmissions. As the fluid temperatures exceed 180°F the thermostatic valve closes, allowing 95% flow through the oil cooler. At temps below 180°F the valve is open, with 90% of the oil bypassing the cooler. The remaining 10% of the oil flows through the cooler, maintaining constant system pressure, preventing air pockets and eliminating cold oil shock.

Features:
Bypasses cooler at 180°F
Provides quicker warm-up temps
Perfect for cold weather climates
Can be rotated 180° to switch flow direction
Flows up to 20 Gallons per minute
Rated up to 200psi
Ultra bright finish
New Billet style design
Old 10-28-2015, 10:42 PM   #133
Weapon86

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS monogram series
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Have you mounted the thermostat? Where? It's pretty damn heavy.
Yes. We just started working on it last night. Probably not the best place to mount it, but its the only spot we can fit it since i replaced the snorkel with a different one. It is pretty heavy lol did you get the mounting bracket for it?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #134
Weapon86

Here's the setrab core mounted along with the fan. It fits almost perfectly, just have to trim some small piece on the bumper.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:15 AM   #135
Wayno

I haven't started. There's only 2 spots i could put it - near the heat exchanger or wedged under the wiper fluid filler neck. I don't particularly want to melt plastic and wiring though if it's sitting at 80C
Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #136
Weapon86

Thats what im actually worried about when we placed the thermostat inside the bumper but we'll see. Ill update after the trackday.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #137
Wayno

Quote:
Thats what im actually worried about when we placed the thermostat inside the bumper but we'll see. Ill update after the trackday.
Aren't you more worried your setup heats up the cavity that feeds the intake?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #138
Weapon86

I installed a zeek snorkel along with it so the intake is getting air from the grill.
Quote:
Aren't you more worried your setup heats up the cavity that feeds the intake?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #139
Wayno

Quote:
I installed a zeek snorkel along with it so the intake is getting air from the grill.
Did you confirm which way the oil flows before installing? I just went off what was said here the last time and didn't check personally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
Tye300 (10-30-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #140
Weapon86

Quote:
Did you confirm which way the oil flows before installing? I just went off what was said here the last time and didn't check personally.
I ust followed whatever that was posted here. Are you wondering about the oil flow on the heat exchanger? The oil on outer inlet goes out and the middle one goes in.