follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #43
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayvelliott View Post
just spreading the word as i said in another thread

Guys don't wait! Please take yours into the dealership..i have a black brz bought it slightly used with 4k on it...it now has 10k and i just dropped it off at the dealership because of the same issue however my situation has got alot worse.. due to the horrible transition btwn gears especially going into 3rd i have a feeling my clutch assembly is now in pieces...and they are going to diagnoses the car and determine if its due to abuse...if thats the case im straight up getting lawyers involved ...in any case what happen this weekend was inexcusable...

i went for a ride..had the same 3rd gear issue as always... then came to a red light..tried to put it in 1st and it wouldn't go in at all..when i finally got going... i made it to my destination...as i was leaving..got in the car and tried to go in reverse and the sound was horrible..the gears sounded like they were working against each other...think of a castle gate being lowered..that sound is exactly what i heard...now i get loud thuds going into 1st and 2nd...3rd will not work unless its in neutral first...here is a video to hear what it sounds like just sitting in neutral..

I actually noticed a similar but more more faint noise in neutral recently. I hope it doesn't grow to something worse. Interestingly enough though, shifting feels a bit better across the board now that it's a bit cooler outside. guess we'll see what happens...
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #44
Silver86

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Got the Motul 300 in my tranny and rear diff today and let me tell you its a world of difference.

1st is much easier to put into gear and doesn't fight me anymore when I'm down shifting at 5mph to go over a speed bump or up a entrance incline. It was ridiculous having to totally stop to get the car to go into first gear.

3rd was never a huge issue. I've had it randomly (but very rarely) nick the gear while going through the gate and now I don't get that "on the edge of grinding" feeling when going into third.

5th gear no longer feels like shit when downshifting from 6th.

This could just be my imagination but it seems like the car isn't working near as hard, like I'm getting higher speeds before 3k RPM.
Silver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver86 For This Useful Post:
Marchy (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #45
Silver86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayvelliott View Post
just spreading the word as i said in another thread

Guys don't wait! Please take yours into the dealership..i have a black brz bought it slightly used with 4k on it...it now has 10k and i just dropped it off at the dealership because of the same issue however my situation has got alot worse.. due to the horrible transition btwn gears especially going into 3rd i have a feeling my clutch assembly is now in pieces...and they are going to diagnoses the car and determine if its due to abuse...if thats the case im straight up getting lawyers involved ...in any case what happen this weekend was inexcusable...

i went for a ride..had the same 3rd gear issue as always... then came to a red light..tried to put it in 1st and it wouldn't go in at all..when i finally got going... i made it to my destination...as i was leaving..got in the car and tried to go in reverse and the sound was horrible..the gears sounded like they were working against each other...think of a castle gate being lowered..that sound is exactly what i heard...now i get loud thuds going into 1st and 2nd...3rd will not work unless its in neutral first...here is a video to hear what it sounds like just sitting in neutral..

Yeah they would be insane to deny you for that.

Abuse? You would have to be pretty fucking hard on your car to blow the trans or clutch out like that in 6k miles.

but hey, Subaru has been pretty cold blooded when it comes to deciding whether or not to deny service due to misuse. Seems like Subaru is eager to blame the consumer for common problems with the car.

Any issues I've had so far with my FRS, toyota has been pretty good about taking care of. They have even been proactive on things like ordering new heat shields for my car and offering to change the trans and diff fluid for free.

The only problem I've had with Toyota so far is when trying to get them to take the small issues I've had with 1st, 3rd and 5th gear as truth. The service manager wants to help me but the regional rep says that either he needs to come drive the car (which I've told them would be great) or I need to get the shifting issues on tape. So far my service manager and I have gone on 2 15-20min drives together trying to get the shifting issue on video but its hard since mine are very rare.

I'm scared to put the headers on and then have the trans or clutch go out. I already worry that my intake and crank pulleys are going to cause some kind of friction when dealing with the dealership on any engine problems I might have.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #46
rip curl

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have just uner 400km on my BRZ and I've got the netural to 1st thunk and notice the gears don't shift as smoothly. I'll wait until break-in is complete and take it to the dealer...
rip curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #47
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip curl View Post
I have just uner 400km on my BRZ and I've got the netural to 1st thunk and notice the gears don't shift as smoothly. I'll wait until break-in is complete and take it to the dealer...
The 'thunk' is normal, you're stopping one of the shafts from spinning, there's a decent amount of mass behind that. Try keeping your foot on the clutch longer before putting it in first to allow the shaft to spin down, the noise should be less or nonexistant. Try counting to ten very slowly.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Silver86 (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #48
Silver86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip curl View Post
That thud in first gear is natural and isn't going away. Hold down the clutch a little longer to allow everything to slow down before trying to go into 1st and you won't have the thud.

The thud isn't anything to worry about though.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #49
Silver86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
glad the car is shifting smoother for ya :happy0180:
Thx for selling me the fluid XD.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #50
enthennd
wat

Drives: a potato.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All of these symptoms sound like what I was having and I've only owned the car for 3 weeks. The notchiness, hard to get into gear, strange vibrations, felt like hitting a metal stop.

so I bought a kartboy short shifter(was put in last night), and trans mount/shifter mount, and I plan on putting those on tomorrow. upon getting the factory shifter out, the cotter pin thing, thats suppose to keep the shaft firmly in the shifter...well, wasn't even there. SOOO swapped in the kartboy, and grabbed a cotter pin from pep boys, and the car now feels well, awesome, very similar to the s2k's I drove.

may be worth a try to check and see, maybe my car isn't the only one missing this? Heres some pics from F1point4s thread for reference.

when i removed the lower dust boot, it pretty much looked like this, and it would slide around in the shifter whenever moving the shifter around. (no sexual puns intended haha)
enthennd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enthennd For This Useful Post:
abutterman (09-22-2013), Silver86 (09-22-2013)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #51
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Thread revival, but I wonder if this qualifies as a related issue:

Sometimes when power shifting (up or down), the shifter seems to get "stuck" between gates and doesn't go into gear, and my RPMs shoot up and I have to go back to neutral and reshift. Only happens when going between 4th and 5th (i.e., between the 3-5 or 4-6 gates). That also happens to be the longest throw, so is this just bad form on my part?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #52
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
Thread revival, but I wonder if this qualifies as a related issue:

Sometimes when power shifting (up or down), the shifter seems to get "stuck" between gates and doesn't go into gear, and my RPMs shoot up and I have to go back to neutral and reshift. Only happens when going between 4th and 5th (i.e., between the 3-5 or 4-6 gates). That also happens to be the longest throw, so is this just bad form on my part?
Found yore problem.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #53
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutterman View Post
Since i got the car, the shifter has always had a very inconsistent feel to it. It'll sometimes go into gear nice and smooth but sometimes random gears will feel sloppy and notchy, often feeling like its rubbing against rocks. It will sometimes feel as if its getting stuck half way through the gate. There are times that it feels tight and precise and then there's times where it feels almost loose and disconnected. When it starts to slip up, first gear in particular may not go in all the way at a dead stop and 3rd feels like it's knocking all over the place and you can hear it hit as it goes in.

I've changed the transmission fluid twice, first to Amsoil 75w90 and then to Redline MTL which is currently in use

I had tried the Perrin rear shifter bushing which made shifting almost impossible and is now back to stock bushing

Extremely weighted shift knob (anarchy knob) helps to reduce the feeling of the issues but its still there

There is NO grinding at all during these extremely sloppy shifter movements. Even when it feels almost like it didn't go into gear properly i can continue to drive without any grind.

I'm trying to think of what to look at next and looked around through some google searches for any info. Is it possible the ball joint needs to be greased up more on the shifter? Like i said, sometimes it'll go into gear buttery smooth but often requires a few tries before it loses the notchiness.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
KB short shifter, mtec springs, rear shifter bushing, heavy shift knob... profit.

I've got all those in my MT BRZ and shifting is excellent. Very precise and I KNOW if I went into the gate or not, and it's a very definite feel when done correctly.

I have KB SS, KB rear shifter bushing, KB transmission mount bushing, mtec springs, and currently a wc lathewerks stainless piston knob (565 grams) while waiting on my anarchy motive shift knob.

I'm definitely not rowing gears anymore, but throwing the lever around. Not that it's loose feeling, but basically all I do is guide the shift lever into place and then push or pull through the gate for it to click into place. Great feeling! Excellent transmission!

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #54
nataku
Negative Mass

Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have the double trans bushing setup (whiteline + perrin) and an Exedy stg 1 clutch. The rattling noise in neutral is pronounced as hell now, but the transmission sounds completely normal (whiny as hell ) when I get up to speed. I've experienced all the issues mentioned in this thread and have decided it's just how the transmission operates. It's felt the same for all 27k miles I've driven on it.