follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #1
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Racecomp Engineering Superstreet 2 coilovers available now (RCE SS2)

You asked and we listened.

We've been really excited to hear all the positive feedback on our SS1 coilovers over the past 4 years. Great ride quality and solid performance...a phenomenal 4 season road & track type coilover.

But we know many of you wanted something a bit more on the track side, with a little more edge to them. Something with the same high quality damper valving, suspension travel, lowering front camber plates, but add rear lowering upper mounts, firmer valving, and stiffer spring rates.

So we've been quietly working with KW Suspension and are excited to finally release our SS2 coilovers! Development was performed on both first and second gen cars with enough flexibility for a range of tire choices, drivers, and supporting modifications.

While it's a little more track focused, this coilover suspension is still very capable of being daily-driven, and with the pre-installed front camber plates and rear pillowball lowering mounts, the whole kit is completely plug-and-play. No assembly required.

These camber plates and rear mounts are some of the best out there in our opinion, with a lowering design that adds bump travel as well as a high quality bearing that's sealed on the bottom for long-lasting quiet operation.

Features:
  • 20 clicks of adjustable rebound damping
  • 7 kg/mm front and rear linear springs with helper springs.
  • Front lowering camber plates
  • Rear lowering alloy mounts
  • Weatherstrip seals for front and rear mounts
  • Increased spring rates over SS1
  • Increased damper valving with larger range of adjustment than SS1’s
  • Zinc coated galvanized shock bodies with exceptional suspension travel

These are live on our website now.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
bhmax (12-27-2022), Breezio (12-28-2022), churchx (12-21-2022), cueball89 (12-20-2022), Dzmitry (12-29-2022), jkamelo (12-23-2022), Lynxis (01-16-2023), RToyo86 (12-20-2022), SCFD (12-22-2022), spcmafia (12-20-2022), Tatsu333 (12-23-2022), Teseo (12-20-2022), x808drifter (12-22-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

We wanted the same "easy button" type of coilover as our SS1, but for someone that finds themselves at the track or autocrossing more often. No complicated set up, no annoying day to day compromises, and all the usual RCE after-sale support.

You can think of these as sort of a simplified RCE Tarmac 2 for those who don't necessarily need 2 way damping adjustability, but with the benefit of camber plates and rear top mounts included. Our T2s are still a great solution for those that do want 2 way damping adjustability or the option to run OEM style mounts.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Tatsu333 (12-23-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 03:21 PM   #3
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why the lowering range difference between SS1 (20-50 mm) and SS2 (10-30 mm)?
Would these work with the OEM rear mounts? If so, I think it would be nice to have that option (like with SS1) for people that want to save some money and don't need the aftermarket mounts.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:02 PM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Why the lowering range difference between SS1 (20-50 mm) and SS2 (10-30 mm)?
You can go as low 50mm if you like. We recommend about 25-30mm since this is a more function first type of coilover. I should probably edit that on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Would these work with the OEM rear mounts? If so, I think it would be nice to have that option (like with SS1) for people that want to save some money and don't need the aftermarket mounts.
OEM mounts will fit but we don't plan on selling these without the top mounts at this time.

- Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (12-20-2022), x808drifter (12-22-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 04:15 PM   #5
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Drives: 2015 BRZ Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did y'all work with Eibach for these springs? Any plans to continue working on the RallyX springs now that these are out?
Old 12-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn_Of_Creation View Post
Did y'all work with Eibach for these springs? Any plans to continue working on the RallyX springs now that these are out?
For these we worked with KW Suspension.

Haven't forgotten about the rally springs though! Will post something about those soon (not a big update, but an update).

- Andrew
Spawn_Of_Creation (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #7
tazio

Drives: Don't yet have a Toyobaru
I was just browsing your site! It seems chapters are missing from the damper series, which I otherwise enjoyed...

Not to question of it's justified, what goes into the price increase over the SS1 kit?

Why does the more "track focused" kit have a smaller lowering range?

Why do you list the spring rates of some kits in US Customary Units and others in metric?

Why have the damping adjustment be rebound only, rather than a combination of compression and rebound?

How/why do the SS1s have more compression travel than stock? Do the SS2s?

What are the servicing requirements? Warranty?

Thanks!
tazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 05:26 PM   #8
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazio View Post
I was just browsing your site! It seems chapters are missing from the damper series, which I otherwise enjoyed...
Yeah we need to add those to the site! I changed the way I put those articles together, and it takes me some time to upload to the website. All of them are on our Apex Files instagram (linked in our signature below). But yes that's my project over the holidays.

Quote:
Not to question of it's justified, what goes into the price increase over the SS1 kit?
Big part of that is the rear top mounts being included, but it's also been a significant investment in development, using the KW 7 post shake rig, track time, etc. to really dial these in for a level up in performance.

Quote:
Why does the more "track focused" kit have a smaller lowering range?
It's the same and I should change that on the website. We don't recommend slamming a track focused car (most of the time)...25 to 30mm is the right spot.

Quote:
Why do you list the spring rates of some kits in US Customary Units and others in metric?
If it were up to me imperial units wouldn't exist anywhere in the world. But Myles (owner) prefers imperial. So it looks like it's switching back to imperial lol.

Quote:
Why have the damping adjustment be rebound only, rather than a combination of compression and rebound?
When you only have 1 knob, we prefer it to be rebound only. We don't always want to change compression damping when we change rebound and the adjustment ends up being more precise when we only adjust 1 instead of both at the same time. If you have to choose 1, you choose rebound.

Quote:
How/why do the SS1s have more compression travel than stock? Do the SS2s?
Our coilovers are designed with a shock body that is designed to be lower than stock from the start...you can see how the body extends down below the lower mount. This in conjunction with the lowering style camber plate which extends the upper mounting point higher means more room for things to come together. So even when lower the stock, you have the compression travel. Factory shocks have plenty of droop travel, but are limited in compression travel (plus use a longer bumpstop).

Same total travel for SS1 and SS2.

Quote:
What are the servicing requirements? Warranty?
3 year warranty. Good thing about KW dampers is they last a long time and are very durable. With more track time comes more frequent rebuilds, but we still see people getting 50k miles and more out of well worked RCE SS1 and RCE Tarmac 2s.

Quote:
Thanks!
Anytime. We pride ourselves on being available and responsive. Sometimes we do things like have both metric and imperial units on our website but you can reach us by phone almost anytime, 7 days a week or just PM me.

Apologies if I explained any of that poorly.

- Andrew
Spawn_Of_Creation (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 06:27 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
You forgot to mention they will take a stiffer spring then the SS1.
Racecomp Engineering (12-20-2022), x808drifter (12-22-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 08:24 PM   #10
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You forgot to mention they will take a stiffer spring then the SS1.
This is true! SS2s can handle a much stiffer spring than SS1s.

- Andrew
Old 12-20-2022, 08:56 PM   #11
tazio

Drives: Don't yet have a Toyobaru
"...using the KW 7 post shake rig, track time, etc. to really dial these in for a level up in performance."

Interesting. Did you actually do simulated laps on the 7 post rig for damper tuning? Or, if it's durability testing, why does KW need to redo 7 post rig testing for each aftermarket application? I would have expected them to have all the load capabilities/limitations proven before they market the dampers to you. And are the SS2s tested to a higher standard than the SS1s or fewer sales to spread the costs over?

"It's the same and I should change that on the website. We don't recommend slamming a track focused car (most of the time)...25 to 30mm is the right spot."

How do you pick a ride height to recommend? And why recommend lowering for the "street focused" set?

"If you have to choose 1, you choose rebound."

And so you did... but why?

"Our coilovers are designed with a shock body that is designed to be lower than stock from the start...you can see how the body extends down below the lower mount. This in conjunction with the lowering style camber plate which extends the upper mounting point higher means more room for things to come together. So even when lower the stock, you have the compression travel. Factory shocks have plenty of droop travel, but are limited in compression travel (plus use a longer bumpstop).

Interesting - I'd have expected OEMs to use the full bump travel permitted by the tire envelope.

Other than rewarding your charming forum participation, what's your sales pitch for the Superstreets over competitors? For example, the CSG Spec Tein Flex A has the same spring rates as the SS1, also has rebound adjustability, also includes camber plates, and is the same price or cheaper, depending on sales. (And CSG is also active on fora...)

Thanks again!
tazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #12
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
"...using the KW 7 post shake rig, track time, etc. to really dial these in for a level up in performance."

Interesting. Did you actually do simulated laps on the 7 post rig for damper tuning? Or, if it's durability testing, why does KW need to redo 7 post rig testing for each aftermarket application? I would have expected them to have all the load capabilities/limitations proven before they market the dampers to you. And are the SS2s tested to a higher standard than the SS1s or fewer sales to spread the costs over?
Yes, we do have a lot of existing data to use but we're also able to do more testing when needed. Working with KW is interesting and we've learned a lot from them, but we also generally have different ideas or goals for our suspension than their stuff. They are of course still involved with the development of our line up.
We do expect to sell more SS1s than SS2s, but sometimes the market surprises us. In terms of durability, we have done some additional testing since we expect more track use from SS2 users but there shouldn't be a real difference between the 2.

Quote:
"It's the same and I should change that on the website. We don't recommend slamming a track focused car (most of the time)...25 to 30mm is the right spot."

How do you pick a ride height to recommend? And why recommend lowering for the "street focused" set?
Recommended ride height is based on bump/droop travel ratio of the coilover and suspension geometry. That 25 to 30mm recommended drop ends up being great for a street car as well when it comes to looks, general convenience, not obliterating your bumper all the time, etc. But they're height adjustable coilovers and the user certainly has the ability to go lower for looks (or if they have some geometry correction) if they like, or add some rake.

Quote:
"If you have to choose 1, you choose rebound."

And so you did... but why?
Rebound adjustment simply has a larger and more noticeable effect on the car.

I don't know of any 1 way coilovers that adjust compression only. It's possible, but no one does it.

Quote:
Other than rewarding your charming forum participation, what's your sales pitch for the Superstreets over competitors? For example, the CSG Spec Tein Flex A has the same spring rates as the SS1, also has rebound adjustability, also includes camber plates, and is the same price or cheaper, depending on sales. (And CSG is also active on fora...)
We didn't really design the SS1s or SS2s to compete with anyone else. They're just coilovers we've wanted to make for a very long time (the mid-range road and track type coilover). Anyway, we focus on things like quality valving, quality components, and plenty of travel. The camber plates and rear mounts are IMO the best out there for a car that still sees the street, not just because of the lowering design but because they're 99% quiet.

Thank you for the kind words about my charming personality! I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to a sales pitch, we just make parts that we think are cool and functional and what we ourselves or our customers want. We've been working with this platform since before it came out (~10 years), working with KW for ~15 years, and on Subarus for more than 20 years. CSG certainly know their way around these cars too and have plenty of happy customers. There are a lot of companies that sell parts for these cars. There are fewer that specialize in suspension, fewer still that know what they're doing, and then only a couple that provide real support. CSG is good company to be in.

- Andrew
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (12-21-2022), Mach V Dan (12-21-2022), NoHaveMSG (12-21-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (12-21-2022), Stonehorsw (12-30-2022), Tatsu333 (12-23-2022), Turdinator (12-21-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #13
Plastic Robot

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Premium
I'm curious about the maximum ride height. I'd like to run these higher than the recommended 25mm drop. Ideally closer to 10mm drop from stock height. Wondering that's feasible and if there are any differences in max ride height between SS1 and SS2?

Can you also comment any more on ride quality? With the stiffer springs I'm guessing it's not quite as comfortable on the street as the SS1, but wondering how much of a difference there is.
Plastic Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:05 PM   #14
marco_mc22

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Robot View Post
I'm curious about the maximum ride height. I'd like to run these higher than the recommended 25mm drop. Ideally closer to 10mm drop from stock height. Wondering that's feasible and if there are any differences in max ride height between SS1 and SS2?

Can you also comment any more on ride quality? With the stiffer springs I'm guessing it's not quite as comfortable on the street as the SS1, but wondering how much of a difference there is.
If those shocks are exactly the same as Kw/St (which I think they are) max ride height is -5 from stock using stock top hats and -20 using lowering mounts as SS2 use. This is because those camber plates and rear mounts roughly add 15mm of bump travel so at -20 your bump/droop ratio is the same as -5 with oem rubber hats.
marco_mc22 is offline   Reply With Quote