follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #15
GJR726WY

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
The misfiring was probably within the ECU's tolerance as a CEL is only lit when a misfire continuously happens and not one-off, as I recall.

Since it seems to be getting 'worse' - electrical or connection issue?
It seemed to have started when it got really hot here back in July. I'm wondering if the heat exposure/buildup is just causing the packs to deteriorate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I believe it only pops a code when it detects so many misfires within a certain period.

I mean there are a lot of things that CAN cause a misfire, coil pack is a common one. I suggest moving the coil off #1 and swapping it with a different cylinder to verify the issue.
If they weren't so much of a pain in the butt to change I would totally try something like this, but with it being my DD, I just need to get it running right so I can get to work. Also doesn't misfiring contribute to potential top-end issues if you keep driving it around like that? I'd hate to cause any damage to the top of a piston or something.
GJR726WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:07 PM   #16
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@GJR726WY you can use a OBDII reader to count misfires while you're driving around.

I think you'll probably see spark plug problems before anything else, which is annoying in itself since the plugs are hard to get to. If it were me, I'd get a new coil on that plug as soon as I could.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
GJR726WY (09-28-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #17
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR726WY View Post
It seemed to have started when it got really hot here back in July. I'm wondering if the heat exposure/buildup is just causing the packs to deteriorate.

If they weren't so much of a pain in the butt to change I would totally try something like this, but with it being my DD, I just need to get it running right so I can get to work. Also doesn't misfiring contribute to potential top-end issues if you keep driving it around like that? I'd hate to cause any damage to the top of a piston or something.
Heat is a known reason why the packs fail.

So you don't want to do more diagnoses to confirm the issue?
Old 09-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #18
GJR726WY

Quote:
Heat is a known reason why the packs fail.

So you don't want to do more diagnoses to confirm the issue?
I'm not against confirming the issue. I don't like the idea of moving the packs around and driving on a severely misfiring cylinder for fear of doing any detonation damage. I've seen misfires combined with AFM woes melt holes in pistons, warp valves, all sort's of weird catastrophic stuff. I don't know if these engines would do that, but I don't really want to find out.

Does anyone know why exactly the heat is causing the packs to "fail"? I read in another thread that the electrical connections themselves are getting worn from constant heating/cooling. I also read in another thread that for a coil pack to fail the computer will throw a specific code for the pack and lots of us are replacing coils unnecessarily. After this I'm not ready to give up on the packs, I read about preloading the pins in the electrical connectors, so I think I will try that first and just see.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:40 AM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR726WY View Post
I'm not against confirming the issue. I don't like the idea of moving the packs around and driving on a severely misfiring cylinder for fear of doing any detonation damage. I've seen misfires combined with AFM woes melt holes in pistons, warp valves, all sort's of weird catastrophic stuff. I don't know if these engines would do that, but I don't really want to find out.

Does anyone know why exactly the heat is causing the packs to "fail"? I read in another thread that the electrical connections themselves are getting worn from constant heating/cooling. I also read in another thread that for a coil pack to fail the computer will throw a specific code for the pack and lots of us are replacing coils unnecessarily. After this I'm not ready to give up on the packs, I read about preloading the pins in the electrical connectors, so I think I will try that first and just see.
You said it was your DD and you are driving it anyway, post 15, so why is it you are all the sudden worried about it creating a problem on a different cylinder?

Misfire is not detonation. Totally different issues. Totally different potential problems. A coil pack isn't going to cause detonation. Running on a slight misfire in the short term isn't a huge deal.

You are guessing it is a coil pack. If you move it to a different cylinder and clear the code, and the misfire moves to whichever cylinder you moved the pack to, you confirmed it's the coil pack. Verify the issue, then replace parts. Don't just throw parts at the problem hoping it works

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2022, 09:51 AM   #20
GJR726WY

Quote:
You said it was your DD and you are driving it anyway, post 15, so why is it you are all the sudden worried about it creating a problem on a different cylinder?

Misfire is not detonation. Totally different issues. Totally different potential problems. A coil pack isn't going to cause detonation. Running on a slight misfire in the short term isn't a huge deal.

You are guessing it is a coil pack. If you move it to a different cylinder and clear the code, and the misfire moves to whichever cylinder you moved the pack to, you confirmed it's the coil pack. Verify the issue, then replace parts. Don't just throw parts at the problem hoping it works

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
I'm using my Wife's car currently BRZ is parked.

I will try switching coils around this weekend, and will also start logging with the Bluetooth reader I ordered at the beginning of this whole debacle. I may attempt pin tweak if I have to move coils around anyway.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:05 AM   #21
GJR726WY

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@GJR726WY I used an OBDlink bluetooth OBDII reader and "torque app" (usual recommended android phone app) to log various things from the car. You just point the app to all the different listed functions and tell it to log:

IAM ignition advance multiplier
long term and short term fuel trims
flkc and fbkc knock correction
AVCS logging
You don't happen to have any of the PIDs for these functions? I've been trying to get useful data with the TorquePro app and a bluetooth adapter and am not having any luck.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:53 PM   #22
GJR726WY

Ignition Projects tested the coils and found cylinder 1 and 3 to be faulty. They replaced both under warranty. Car seems to be great now. Will have to figure out a way to keep that side of the head cooler I guess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GJR726WY For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-24-2022), x808drifter (10-25-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 08:48 PM   #23
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Why are you using aftermarket coilpacks out of curiosity's sake?
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:48 AM   #24
GJR726WY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Why are you using aftermarket coilpacks out of curiosity's sake?
When it came time to do plugs, recommended maintenance says to change coils. At the time the IP Quad Sparks were a few dollars cheaper than OEM, so I researched them quite a bit and found a lot of good reviews and recommendations so I went that route.

At this point I may still end up having to buy a set of OEMs ... only time will tell.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:20 AM   #25
GJR726WY

**Update - Cylinder 2 and 4 are acting up now, just as it started getting hot around here. I've unfortunately got to give these IP coils a thumbs down since they cannot seem to handle heat...

Anyone have any suggestions as an alternative that is proven to be reliable in hot weather?
Old 07-19-2023, 09:21 AM   #26
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Upgrade to the 15+ coils?
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:53 AM   #27
GJR726WY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Upgrade to the 15+ coils?
That's been my lingering option of choice so far. I'm trying to figure out the best place to get an OEM set currently.