follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #15
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I was going to see if I could figure something out for a heatshield, but I realized that part of the issue is that there's no moving air. Once the heat gets trapped between the coilpacks and the heat shield, it might be even worse for them, so I dissuaded myself.
Yeah true, the heat shield might block the flow of air that would normally exit the bottom. I’d still love to see it tested though, just to confirm. Could also use it in conjunction with hood vents or ducting to make sure cooler air is being brought in.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-20-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #16
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If the coilpack is bad, it will have a specific code that says which cylinder it is, and specifically stating it is a coilpack problem. Misfires problems (where only the code for misfire on X cylinder is shown) are never a coilpack problem in my experience. I have gone myself thru about 8 coilpacks, a head gasket and a couple of sparkplugs and have seen my fair share of trouble for other 86 owners at the track. Never has a coilpack been the culprit when the code was not a code for a coilpack, and the other way around as well, never has something else been the problem when the coilpack code is thrown. Dont replace parts for the sake of replacing, it is not a way of doing things, its a way of wasting money and time.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 03:59 AM   #17
treedodger

Drives: 2022 GR86 (was 2013 BRZ)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2013 BRZ. I had been through two coil packs with my stock class setup, and three coil packs after I de-catted a 2017 header and added hood vents. Apparently, cooling engine compartment didn't fix the problem. FYI:5 total coil check engine lights: 3-P0351 (front right, closest to the cat) and 2-P0352 (front left cylinder)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
If the coilpack is bad, it will have a specific code that says which cylinder it is, and specifically stating it is a coilpack problem. Misfires problems (where only the code for misfire on X cylinder is shown) are never a coilpack problem in my experience. I have gone myself thru about 8 coilpacks, a head gasket and a couple of sparkplugs and have seen my fair share of trouble for other 86 owners at the track. Never has a coilpack been the culprit when the code was not a code for a coilpack, and the other way around as well, never has something else been the problem when the coilpack code is thrown. Dont replace parts for the sake of replacing, it is not a way of doing things, its a way of wasting money and time.
treedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #18
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedodger View Post
I have a 2013 BRZ. I had been through two coil packs with my stock class setup, and three coil packs after I de-catted a 2017 header and added hood vents. Apparently, cooling engine compartment didn't fix the problem. FYI:5 total coil check engine lights: 3-P0351 (front right, closest to the cat) and 2-P0352 (front left cylinder)
So exactly like my case, each coilpack going bad comes with a P0351-P0354 code. If OP is just getting missfires with no code, or the code is just missfire on cylinder 1-4, then it is not the coilpacks. Everyone on this thread seems to assume that a missfire = a bad coilpack, and its really not always the case.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (01-28-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #19
prandelia

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just adding cooling doesn't fix the real issue, especially with hot tunes or cars making more power and running high RPM. You need a coil pack designed to handle the higher current and heat load.

IP or Cusco both address those issues. I run Cusco, and I hear IP works great too. I had misfires immediately upon racing my car, switched to Cusco coils and have never had an issue since. Adding gold foil will not fix that issue, you need a coil that can handle a higher secondary charge and more heat.

Not losing track time, or having to reinstall these are a PIA, so they pay for themselves.

I added DEI "form-a-shield" to my exhaust around the coils (they are also ceramic coated) to protect the coils from heat soak as well.

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prandelia For This Useful Post:
BatStig (05-20-2022), CSG Mike (02-05-2021), DarkSunrise (02-12-2021), Lonewolf (02-05-2021), treedodger (02-04-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 05:45 PM   #20
ROADRACER

Drives: unlimited cheap build N/A track car
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have been getting the P0351, P0352 codes intermittently for years but have not had any issues with the car running poorly or a coil pack actually failing. I clear the code and rock on.

Have you guys actually had failures or just getting trouble codes?
ROADRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #21
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADRACER View Post
I have been getting the P0351, P0352 codes intermittently for years but have not had any issues with the car running poorly or a coil pack actually failing. I clear the code and rock on.

Have you guys actually had failures or just getting trouble codes?
I was datalogging one time at the track when I got a p0351 code. I saw elevated FLKC (around -3 to -4 degrees) above 6000 rpm afterwards, which I attributed to the coil failing.

Btw I also typically lose coilpacks 1 and 2. Coil 1 makes sense (being so close to the overpipe and cat), but Coil 2 makes no sense to me.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 03-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #22
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by prandelia View Post
Just adding cooling doesn't fix the real issue, especially with hot tunes or cars making more power and running high RPM. You need a coil pack designed to handle the higher current and heat load.

IP or Cusco both address those issues. I run Cusco, and I hear IP works great too. I had misfires immediately upon racing my car, switched to Cusco coils and have never had an issue since. Adding gold foil will not fix that issue, you need a coil that can handle a higher secondary charge and more heat.
Can confirm the above. Neither gold foil nor switching to thinner brackets for the DI ECU helped in my case. Lost coil pack 1 after just 2000 miles on it (mostly canyon). This was on E85 tune.

Currently debating between Delicious, IP, and Cusco coil packs. Looks like Cusco works but is the most expensive of the three options.

Has anyone solved their coilpack issues with Delicious or IP?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 03-21-2021, 11:59 PM   #23
treedodger

Drives: 2022 GR86 (was 2013 BRZ)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know friends that have gone with IP coils with good results.
The other approach is to replace the 2013-14 engine harness with one from a 2015-2016, and use the newer coils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post

Has anyone solved their coilpack issues with Delicious or IP?
treedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to treedodger For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (03-22-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #24
Butterballz

Drives: Black FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know the difference between the older ignition projects coil pack versus the newer IP quad spark coils? Link to the quad spark coil https://www.ignitionprojectsusa.com/...sku-ip-m149401

I'm at 60k miles so looking to change the spark plugs and the coils at the same time. Thanks!
Butterballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #25
GJR726WY

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterballz View Post
Anyone know the difference between the older ignition projects coil pack versus the newer IP quad spark coils? Link to the quad spark coil https://www.ignitionprojectsusa.com/...sku-ip-m149401

I'm at 60k miles so looking to change the spark plugs and the coils at the same time. Thanks!
This thread appears to have puttered out, but I just replaced my spark plugs and coil packs this weekend on my 2013 BRZ using the IP Quad sparks. Car seems to have a pretty large reduction in throttle response and overall power, I am not getting any CELs though, was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar results.
GJR726WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #26
Brz-123

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR726WY View Post
This thread appears to have puttered out, but I just replaced my spark plugs and coil packs this weekend on my 2013 BRZ using the IP Quad sparks. Car seems to have a pretty large reduction in throttle response and overall power, I am not getting any CELs though, was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar results.
Did you do a throttle reset? How long have you driven it?

It takes about 50 to 100 miles for the car to relearn the fuel trims and be back at its best.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Brz-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz-123 For This Useful Post:
GJR726WY (11-09-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #27
GJR726WY

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brz-123 View Post
Did you do a throttle reset? How long have you driven it?

It takes about 50 to 100 miles for the car to relearn the fuel trims and be back at its best.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
I replaced the battery at the same time, but did not do a specific throttle reset. I did not see anything about that in the information I read before performing the service. I will look into how to do that. I've only driven it to work this morning which is about 25 miles. All I know is that the car runs and drives "fine" until you want to try and get some more spirit out of it and it's just not there. Was not a problem pre-service and the plugs were definitely due to be replaced upon inspection after pulling them. I was hoping for a vast improvement, but so far that is not the case.
GJR726WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #28
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR726WY View Post
I replaced the battery at the same time, but did not do a specific throttle reset. I did not see anything about that in the information I read before performing the service. I will look into how to do that. I've only driven it to work this morning which is about 25 miles. All I know is that the car runs and drives "fine" until you want to try and get some more spirit out of it and it's just not there. Was not a problem pre-service and the plugs were definitely due to be replaced upon inspection after pulling them. I was hoping for a vast improvement, but so far that is not the case.
Starting with the car off, switch the ignition to accessory mode. Press the throttle pedal all the way down and release 20x. Switch the ignition to off. Repeat once more, then start car as normal.

Should fix your throttle response. Basically speeds up the relearning procedure.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-09-2021), GJR726WY (11-09-2021), jeepmor (09-08-2022)