follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2021, 01:30 PM   #1
Phantomworks78

Drives: 16 Challenger Shaker 13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2019 Short Block for A 13 Rebuild

Hello, new here and have a compatibility question. I've searched for a few hours on trying to get a clear answer, but it seems that most information people are giving on this form conflicts with other depending on what time frame the posting was from. So sorry if its been asked a dozen times, couldn't find it through the form or google search.

I have a 2013 knocking from a spun bearing [shocker] at 120k, and I'm looking to see if a 2019 short block assembly will work with everything else from my 2013. (swapping sensors and all) I've seen a few mentions about the reluctor wheel having different phasing on 2017+? But haven't found anyone that actually confirmed that. Any help would be appreciated!

Has there been any thread done on detailing the changes from each model year?

Also while I'm here, who has the best writeup for the engine assembly? FA-20's are new to me, although building engines isn't.
Phantomworks78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Trdfrssx

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Subscribed.. I'm in the same dilemma and looking to swap in a new 2017+ short block with all my 2013 parts. Cant find any good info on this either.
Trdfrssx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
There is tons of threads on this. Most have to deal with swapping complete engines. Yes it will work.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119729

FYI don't use the forum search function, use google search like this "ft86club: 2017 engine in 2013" . Tons of threads pop up this way.
Trdfrssx (07-13-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
Berserker

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
There is tons of threads on this. Most have to deal with swapping complete engines. Yes it will work.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119729

FYI don't use the forum search function, use google search like this "ft86club: 2017 engine in 2013" . Tons of threads pop up this way.
Op, is asking to just swap the short block. Keep all his original heads, cams, timing cover, chains etc etc.

In for info. I never looked into the exact details for the 13-16 vs 17+ motors.

I would assume small things like valve springs, sensors, harness's etc
Old 05-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Op, is asking to just swap the short block. Keep all his original heads, cams, timing cover, chains etc etc.

In for info. I never looked into the exact details for the 13-16 vs 17+ motors.

I would assume small things like valve springs, sensors, harness's etc
Yes, I understand that. But if you go through the thread I linked a lot of things, such as the differences in engines over the years is in there. As I said in my post it will work.

There isn't a step by step guide, you need to do research and read between the lines.
Ultramaroon (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #6
Berserker

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I hear you, but if someone has done this before it would only take them a few minutes to give some good details in here. Before going through pages on pages to find maybe a simple, “yes the heads fit” or “ no the water passages don’t line up” Op created a thread no biggie, making a thread and searching is logical

Edit- Looked through those 7 pages linked & it's mostly two guys fighting and a lot of complete long block swap talk with sensors.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I hear you, but if someone has done this before it would only take them a few minutes to give some good details in here. Before going through pages on pages to find maybe a simple, “yes the heads fit” or “ no the water passages don’t line up” Op created a thread no biggie, making a thread and searching is logical
It has been since 4/23 that the OP posted and they didn't respond so doubtful that the guys that did it or going to see it and post. It is usually just easier to go to those threads and PM the person. Search on this site is pretty broken which is why I posted how to search from google. Something, something teach a man to fish........

A quick read of the other threads though shows it only becomes an issue when you start trying to mix and match sensors from post facelift cars with pre facelift cars as they don't play nice with the different ECU's. Since he is just swapping his stuff onto a new short block then he won't have those compatibility issues and it should be pretty straight forward. Head castings are the same. The reluctor and pickup are different but in the thread with the 17' engine, the guy was able to put his 13' reluctor and pickup on the 17' engine so we know those parts will fit onto the newer block. He could also always call someone like IAG and ask since they sell built short blocks. Do the whole "hey I bought one of these used from a 13' and have a 19' is this going to be an issue?" routine.
Wally86 (05-26-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #8
Trdfrssx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
It has been since 4/23 that the OP posted and they didn't respond so doubtful that the guys that did it or going to see it and post. It is usually just easier to go to those threads and PM the person. Search on this site is pretty broken which is why I posted how to search from google. Something, something teach a man to fish........

A quick read of the other threads though shows it only becomes an issue when you start trying to mix and match sensors from post facelift cars with pre facelift cars as they don't play nice with the different ECU's. Since he is just swapping his stuff onto a new short block then he won't have those compatibility issues and it should be pretty straight forward. Head castings are the same. The reluctor and pickup are different but in the thread with the 17' engine, the guy was able to put his 13' reluctor and pickup on the 17' engine so we know those parts will fit onto the newer block. He could also always call someone like IAG and ask since they sell built short blocks. Do the whole "hey I bought one of these used from a 13' and have a 19' is this going to be an issue?" routine.
I did stumble onto those threads you linked and it helped. I recently acquired a 2017 long block (for dirt cheap and only 11k miles!!) I have the heads separated since there was some head damage that i need to repair from an accident. I have both enignes, my 2013 and the 2017 heads off and I can confirm the 2013-2016 heads will bolt up, as you mentioned its the same casting. The 2 engines are almost identical minus the valvetrain and a few sensors and cam wheels ets as mentioned. I wont be bolting on my 2013 heads since the 2017 heads have a better valvetrain and like new condition.
I did measure the 2013 cams and there identical except they have higher lift about .0254" more (confirmed in the engine repair manual). I wonder if you can swap the old cams into the newer engine and adjust valve clearances. The newer valve stems must be longer to band aid rocker arm failures.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trdfrssx For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-13-2021), Wally86 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #9
Trdfrssx

Another thing worth mentioning is the high pressure fuel pump cam lobe is smaller so fuel flow will be different. I'll keep an eye on AFR and most likely will get a re-tune and go flex fuel at the same time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trdfrssx For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-13-2021), Wally86 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trdfrssx View Post
I did stumble onto those threads you linked and it helped. I recently acquired a 2017 long block (for dirt cheap and only 11k miles!!) I have the heads separated since there was some head damage that i need to repair from an accident. I have both enignes, my 2013 and the 2017 heads off and I can confirm the 2013-2016 heads will bolt up, as you mentioned its the same casting. The 2 engines are almost identical minus the valvetrain and a few sensors and cam wheels ets as mentioned. I wont be bolting on my 2013 heads since the 2017 heads have a better valvetrain and like new condition.
I did measure the 2013 cams and there identical except they have higher lift about .0254" more (confirmed in the engine repair manual). I wonder if you can swap the old cams into the newer engine and adjust valve clearances. The newer valve stems must be longer to band aid rocker arm failures.
Thanks for sharing. This should really help out people in the future.

Trdfrssx (07-14-2021), Wally86 (07-14-2021)

Tags
2013, 2019, compatibility, fa20, short block