follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #183
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
@86MLR I've always enjoyed and valued Engineering Explained
Hard break in does NOT mean flooring it or redlining the engine from the get go.

Hard break in is about breaking in the engine during its first few heat cycles, and definitely within the first 50 odd km.

"Progressively" increasing load and rpm.

Sure, you will end up flooring the car, and hitting redline, BUT, before that you have spent a good amount of time increasing the load and RPM.

Whilst some of those engineering explained videos are informative, I've found contradictions is some of his theories and claims.

Apparently he a smart young fellow, but, meh, I can show other smart people who would disagree with him on this subject.

How many engines has he broken in himself, from my experience theory and practical never line up straight.

So meh to youtube guy, he is throwing out some info and making some dosh, so good for him.

In the end live testing tells the truth, I've done the testing over the years and I have found, what I believe, works best.

What works best for you may end up different.

Who is right? Who is wrong?

What are the variables?

In the end all that matters is your engines performance and reliability, and it's ability to do mad skids.

Compression, leak down, blowby, if your method of break in gives good results then your onto a good thing, if not, then test and adjust and keep shooting till you hit your target.

And sometimes you just have a Friday car that was assembled by a ham fisted monkey with a hangover, this is also why a hard breakin is handy, if there is a issue with poor parts of assembly I want it to raise its head straight away, before I start to modify the car and risk not being able to claim warranty because I've increased the power with aftermarket parts.

Needless to say, typically all of my cars and bikes are modified well past the point of warranty before they are even 1 year old.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote