follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Znu

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S A/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A/T CEL, Hard Downshift from 3-2,2-1

Hi everyone,
I’ve been having an issue with manual mode on my A/T 2013 FRS. Like the title says, my check engine light is on and upon downshifting from 3 to 2, or 2-1, it feels as though the car has completely forgotten how to rev match, and I feel a jerk forward as the rpm drudges to normal levels. The issue doesn’t happen in higher gears (6-5,5-4,4-3). There also seems to be a very low downshift limit. Normally, I can downshift even if I’m at 5-6k rpm, but ONLY in 2nd gear, I can’t downshift if I’m above 2.5k. I did some reading and am assuming this to be an issue with the transmission solenoid (?). Just want to find out if I can fix this myself or if I should take it to a transmission shop.

Thanks in advance!
(Also, yes I know; it’s because I drive an A/T)
Znu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You really shouldn't be downshifting at 6k ever, or above 2.5k going into 1st (honestly why do you need to downshift into 1st?). I drive manual though so I can't really comment on the rest.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanist View Post
You really shouldn't be downshifting at 6k ever, or above 2.5k going into 1st (honestly why do you need to downshift into 1st?). I drive manual though so I can't really comment on the rest.
huh? no, even on manual it is fine to downshift & rev match into 1st...it is something you should learn if you're serious into driving stick...

....but with this being the auto it should be a piece of cake...I was always only in M mode when I had my auto FRS and I would always engine brake, downshift & hit limiter back down into 1st at every stop light with no problems...

as for OP I stopped at the check engine light. Clearly something is wrong with your car and you're asking about other issues? Do you even know what code is coming up?
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
FL4WLSS

Drives:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When was the last time you changed the trans fluid?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
FL4WLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,831 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
huh? no, even on manual it is fine to downshift & rev match into 1st...it is something you should learn if you're serious into driving stick...

....but with this being the auto it should be a piece of cake...I was always only in M mode when I had my auto FRS and I would always engine brake, downshift & hit limiter back down into 1st at every stop light with no problems...

as for OP I stopped at the check engine light. Clearly something is wrong with your car and you're asking about other issues? Do you even know what code is coming up?

+1 on figuring out why you have a CEL first.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
Znu

@arkanist hahaha I know, just saying that even at that rpm on other gears I have the option to do so, but only on second, I don’t. @HKz Yeah, im gonna go get it scanned right now. I was just wondering what could potentially be causing these issues. I’ve had the issue before, but the CEL just kinda disappeared last time, literally on the way to the shop hahaha. @FL4WLSS less than two months ago. @whataboutbob on my way to do so right now!
Old 11-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Znu

Hi guys, so the CEL disappeared on the way to autozone but came back up today. Immediately went to get it scanned and P0351. After looking around, I’ve found that it’s a problem with my coil pack and I’ll probably be replacing it as soon as I can afford parts hahaha. Thanks for the help all!
Old 11-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znu View Post
Hi guys, so the CEL disappeared on the way to autozone but came back up today. Immediately went to get it scanned and P0351. After looking around, I’ve found that it’s a problem with my coil pack and I’ll probably be replacing it as soon as I can afford parts hahaha. Thanks for the help all!
Important note, a lot of engine codes and problems will cause the transmission to feel sluggish or laggy or shift incorrectly. Always diagnose the code first.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #9
Znu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Important note, a lot of engine codes and problems will cause the transmission to feel sluggish or laggy or shift incorrectly. Always diagnose the code first.
Ahh didn’t know that! Thanks for the info!

Tags
a/t, automatic frs, cel, downshifting, transmission