follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #15
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Interesting setup.

I like the inclusion of the scan gauge.

Is that a mechanical Bosch oil pressure gauge? I generally dislike those as you usually have to run a hot oil line into the cabin, and those lines can kink/wear through etc. Additionally, these cars with 0-20 run over 100psi cold, and even higher with heavier weights.

Yes, but I use copper line instead of the plastic that comes with the gauge.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #16
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Yes, but I use copper line instead of the plastic that comes with the gauge.
Solid improvement. Still hot oil in the cabin. It bugs the slightly illogical side of me.

The same one that dislikes oiled panel filters because it puts oil in front of the MAF. Not ideal but not the worst thing in the world, and if done correctly really shouldn't cause a problem.

SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #17
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubix View Post
Just went out for a short drive to test it. At 176F idle it sits around 10psi which is basically to spec. I think my conclusion is the gauge only reads "0" after hot idle because its not the most accurate. I guess in the end its still better than a dummy light ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Maybe I'll get a T Fitting installed so I can run both.
What oil brand weight are you running?

Quote:
Solid improvement. Still hot oil in the cabin. It bugs the slightly illogical side of me.

The same one that dislikes oiled panel filters because it puts oil in front of the MAF. Not ideal but not the worst thing in the world, and if done correctly really shouldn't cause a problem.

For what it's worth, I kinda put this to the test. Replaced the dry-flow filter (I think it's a Works, I was expecting it to be stock/OEM replacement) in my new to me BRZ, with my used Perrin panel filter which I cleaned and oiled with UNi foam filter cleaner and oil.

Drove it for a week, then pulled the MAF. It looked spotless. Still cleaned it with CRI MAF cleaner anyway. I like tinkering with my car on the weekends so I don't mind cleaning and re-oiling the filter and cleaning the MAF every now and then.

The filter oil does get around the inside of the airbox though. It looks to be catching a lot of dirt before the intake tube.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #18
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post

For what it's worth, I kinda put this to the test. Replaced the dry-flow filter (I think it's a Works, I was expecting it to be stock/OEM replacement) in my new to me BRZ, with my used Perrin panel filter which I cleaned and oiled with UNi foam filter cleaner and oil.

Drove it for a week, then pulled the MAF. It looked spotless. Still cleaned it with CRI MAF cleaner anyway. I like tinkering with my car on the weekends so I don't mind cleaning and re-oiling the filter and cleaning the MAF every now and then.

The filter oil does get around the inside of the airbox though. It looks to be catching a lot of dirt before the intake tube.
For me it's 50% "Oil belongs in location A not location B", and 50% removing the change for human error, (over/under oiling.)

Imagine accidentally spilling a bunch and not being able to get enough of it out.

I run the AVO dry flow, it's dry, I'm happy.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
Old 08-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #19
Cubix

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Motul 8100 0w20
Cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cubix For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #20
Lunatic

Quote:

I hear ya. I tried a electronic sending unit digital gauge and didn't like the fluctuations I was getting. Also being almost 70 I guess I'm kinda of old school.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #21
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I hear ya. I tried a electronic sending unit digital gauge and didn't like the fluctuations I was getting. Also being almost 70 I guess I'm kinda of old school.
Hahaha understood.

I grew up with a 'cutting edge hot rodder' for a dad.

EFI on Chevy big blocks on water shoved into the back half of a beetle, destroked 427 in an anglia, blown 454 in a rusty, mismatched paint malibu wagon, etc.

He was pushing the boundaries and making the old school guys uncomfortable when he was getting into it, and when I started showing him low displacement boosted engines, stepper motor powered gauges, EBCS's, and low(er) profile tires he was uncomfortable too.

He's come around to it, but it's as fun to teach him the new ways and help him make improvements as it is to apply one of his old school theories to new cars when I can't seem to resolve something.

(DIY Cryotreated axles, anyone?)

We just recently started a collaboration of sorts. I've always helped him with his projects, and he's always helped me with mine.

But now, we're grafting E36 M3 suspension and driveline into a 68 1/2 notchback mustang with a 289k code, fully gutted, tubed where appropriate, full racecar type build.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #22
Lunatic

Quote:
Hahaha understood.

But now, we're grafting E36 M3 suspension and driveline into a 68 1/2 notchback mustang with a 289k code, fully gutted, tubed where appropriate, full racecar type build.
Sounds interesting.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #23
G_Rossney

Drives: 2013 BRZ, Limited, 6spd MT, GBS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to G_Rossney Send a message via MSN to G_Rossney Send a message via Yahoo to G_Rossney
I'm going crazy with trying to ensure accurate readings from my gauges. Yes, I purchased Prosport gauges. My 176 degree idle does seem to be around 8 PSI and I'm running 10w30 oil. However, PSI mirrors my RPM (30 PSI @ 3,000, 50 PSI @ 5,000, etc). I've got the sensor in the oil gallery plug on the top of the engine. I'm trying to get Oil temp and pressure, but a tee fitting affects temps.

I threw a rod bearing and had the engine rebuilt and it seems to be burning oil almost a quart at the last track day and occasionally blows big cloud of smoke at startup. So I don't know if my lack of pressure could be indication of a mechanical issue as well.
G_Rossney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #24
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Rossney View Post
I'm going crazy with trying to ensure accurate readings from my gauges. Yes, I purchased Prosport gauges. My 176 degree idle does seem to be around 8 PSI and I'm running 10w30 oil. However, PSI mirrors my RPM (30 PSI @ 3,000, 50 PSI @ 5,000, etc). I've got the sensor in the oil gallery plug on the top of the engine. I'm trying to get Oil temp and pressure, but a tee fitting affects temps.

I threw a rod bearing and had the engine rebuilt and it seems to be burning oil almost a quart at the last track day and occasionally blows big cloud of smoke at startup. So I don't know if my lack of pressure could be indication of a mechanical issue as well.
Sounds like you need to do a compression and leakdown test.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #25
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Rossney View Post

That appears to be normal idle oil and running pressure according to the FRS/BRZ Repair manual. A table of the expected oil pressure levels was posted by the OP on the first page: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...86&postcount=7

My car (which I presume has no issues) idles at just above 0.5bar (which is about 8 psi) per my gauge with sensor located on sandwich plate just upstream of filter. Redline seems to run about 6.5bar (95psi), so about on a "mirror trend" as you call it between RPM and pressure. This is on spec with the OEM oil pressure table above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Sounds like you need to do a compression and leakdown test.
Like mentioned, you should look somewhere other than pressure in this case for signs of the leak. A tiny hole may not show up as a pressure loss at extended distance, but it certainly can push fluid

Also, don't hoon the car when the oil is cold. When you first start the car, oil pressure is 8bar (120 psi) at 2k RPM, easily goes over 10 bar (140 psi) by 4k PRM. Already 30% to 60% higher than redline warm...

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 10-23-2020 at 06:36 PM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-09-2020)