follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #29
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
......Now with the report that sales expectations have not been met, I wouldn't be surprised if the car is killed after 2015 to focus resources on getting the FT-1/Supra into Production.
are you talking about that european blog thing where the editor artificially enhanced the one guys position, who pretty much said that the 86 sucks because it doesn't have a diesel in it?
DAEMANO (03-01-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #30
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
It totally changes it. People don't want to own the lesser version.

I'd be forced to upgrade if a turbo model were introduced. So I'm glad the temptation isn't there.
you dont think its a bit silly to buy a car because you like it and then when the car you own doesnt change in any capacity is somehow is now inadequate?
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #31
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
you dont think its a bit silly to buy a car because you like it and then when the car you own doesnt change in any capacity is somehow is now inadequate?
Not silly at all. If a Turbo version had been announced when I had mine on order I of course would have cancelled the order and got the turbo.

If a turbo version comes out for the 86 I'll be forced to sell it and buy the better version.

It's just the way I am. I like to have the best version.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:47 AM   #32
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
The best car is one you create. There are lots of solid FI kits out there dive in and have fun. I could care less if they changes their mind and made a boosted version "which they obviously clearly are NOT". I'd keep chugging away with what I have now. I find it funny people hold back or choose monogram or 10 series cause of knee pads and all those interior blings, that is all available NOW and easy to do.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #33
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The best car is one you create. There are lots of solid FI kits out there dive in and have fun. I could care less if they changes their mind and made a boosted version "which they obviously clearly are NOT". I'd keep chugging away with what I have now. I find it funny people hold back or choose monogram or 10 series cause of knee pads and all those interior blings, that is all available NOW and easy to do.
well FI is one thing, trim levels are another. I got the monogram because I would have paid way more to buy the extra items separate and add them on later.
the other thing is not everyone wants to void their warranty to make extra power. but I will agree with you that if you really want boost you should just buy an aftermarket kit today.
kbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #34
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbye View Post
well FI is one thing, trim levels are another. I got the monogram because I would have paid way more to buy the extra items separate and add them on later.
the other thing is not everyone wants to void their warranty to make extra power. but I will agree with you that if you really want boost you should just buy an aftermarket kit today.

Agree when I got mine I knew there were options coming didn't care as I seen the aftermarket was there to take care of those small things and frankly I love fiddling in garage and taking things apart. Of all the cars in past I've owned this one is dirt cheap and easy to work on so not a biggie I said to self.

This is kinda like the waiting for everything game and I learned do things in the moment and enjoy them now for what they are. A person will wait forever and enjoy nothing as something new always comes into play then you're waiting for "that". Reaching far past cars..."tvs, gadgets, you name it..."

In the end people forget this is a tuners car, folks that are doing stuff up off the get go are not crazy they're just willing to take those risks and in most cases it isn't their only vehicle to begin with. Adding power can be done safely and reliable it's just about taking the right approach and not being greedy.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:54 AM   #35
Ponwh

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
Just give it more power. Idc how. Just do it please.
Lose some weight

!diet diet diet
Ponwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #36
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Here's an article from 2011:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...2-CAR-review-/

"Turbocharging the flat-four would be straightforward (after all, that’s what Subaru does with the Impreza), but chief engineer Tetsuya Tada told us that he ‘doesn’t like turbos’ and has ‘decided to reject the numeric power war’."

2012:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirm...be-eventually/

There's other articles but those two came up first when I searched for the car and turbo.
I guess the school system is failing us... Lol no jk :p

yeah but this is pretty much official confirmation from a Toyota executive that a turbo model isn't coming. that's big news to me...
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-01-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #37
gymratter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i just dont get all the buzz around this idea. im pretty sure he said the same thing years ago. if you want a more powerful frs, buy a cayman. its already a thing. on the other hand, owners glad about this is also puzzling. the existence of a turbo or more powerful car doesnt change the car you bought in any capacity.

the car does its job pretty well. if you want to accomplish something else, buy a different car.
again guys, Tada San hinting at no turbos is one thing. but the Vice President of Toyota Europe confirming it is another.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #38
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I still don't see why people who already have an FR-S/BRZ care about a turbo model, considering that an aftermarket turbo kit is going to cost less money and offer better performance. And the warranty argument for not going with an aftermarket turbo kit doesn't make alot of sense if you're warranty is expired by the time they released a turbo model anyway...

The only power increase I'd consider trading my car in for would be a 4U-GSE with VVTL-i, which would add very minimal weight, no decrease in mpg's, and I'd love to have a screaming ~8400 rpm redline. A hybrid powerplant would add weight, which wouldn't interest me. A bigger displacement ~2.5L would interest me, but it would likely lower the mpg's, lower the redline, and possibly weigh more.

I'm pretty happy with the car as is, to be honest. My K&N + OFT has made the car feel great for daily driving. When my warranty expires and I'm ready for more power, an aftermarket twin scroll turbo kit will satisfy me perfectly. Plus whatever other cool stuff that Fullblown and other companies keep developing for our engines...
DAEMANO (03-01-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #39
stock

Drives: 2015 FRS Steel (manual)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
It totally changes it. People don't want to own the lesser version.

I'd be forced to upgrade if a turbo model were introduced. So I'm glad the temptation isn't there.
I'm happy to own the lesser version of this car.
I plan on keeping my FR-S no matter. Im happy with it as is (NA).

When Toyota comes out with an FR-S Mk2 Turbo'd, or 6 cyl Ill be buying one, but not trading.

Buy the time they come out with it the FR-S will be paid off or close to it. It can become my daily, the new FR-Supra/FR-SII will be my new prized car. Hopefull an actual Toyota name tag.
(Or who knows, if the new Nissan 510 might be looking good).

I actually wish I could buy two FR-S right now. One to drive, one to keep for later.

Either way, happy to keep my FR-S as is and not trading it, even if they do soup up the FR-S.
stock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stock For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-01-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #40
gymratter

just because we arent getting a 2.0 turbo doesnt mean the FRS wont get a power bumper. there is still the 2.5 with 250hp
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #41
mitosis

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2008 Fit
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
This is all just conjecture and opinion, but I'm gonna say it anyway and I'm not gonna add "IMO" and other such things before every sentence, OK? So power down your laser-powered flame throwers, please. Something of note: smileys don't work on this computer I'm using for some reason, so you'll just have to imagine all the sarcastic looks and winks and whatnot.

It would seem to me that Toyota "controls" FHI.

https://www.fhi.co.jp/english/ir/share_info/share.html

You don't, after all, have to have a >51% ownership of a company to be considered the "majority stock holder"... you just have to have the MOST stock compared to anyone else, which it would appear that Toyota DOES.

Why would you need to make a contract with a company that you control? It would seem to me that you would just filibuster at the next shareholders meeting and get your way through the fact that you control more stock than anyone else. Heck, if you add up every other "major" stock holder listed on their site you only wind up with 22.06%... and it's doubtful that nobody else would side with Toyota if push came to shove.

This is the context in which I see all these "Toyota and Subaru aint getting along" type articles, which makes me take them with a very hefty grain of salt.

My own personal agenda would make me desire that they keep producing the twins, completely (or mostly) unchanged. I say so because I really, REALLY want to do some awesome things to my car... after I pay my loans off (student and car) and after my warranties expire. If the car stops being made, then aftermarket support will fade. Sure there will still be some aftermarket, but the rapid pace of development will likely slow and most companies will move on to the next cool thing for their new projects and MAYBE will continue producing what they've already made.

With my Fit I had similar plans for boosted awesomeness post-payoff, and back in '08-ish there was this cool new company with some old players backing it making Rotrex kits with a CARB legal tune and all that and they would say things like "it it a good idea to wait until you've got around 60k miles on your car before doing this". Well guess what Jackson/KW? I've got 60k on my car now and it's all paid off, where's my supercharger for my Fit? Oh... right, you don't make it anymore. What the hell, man? ...darn.

No need to point out to me the vast differences between my grocery-getter and what is arguably the most exciting tuner car to hit the markets in a long time... but still the same trends will hold true, it's just that with this car the "while still being produced" aftermarket is much stronger... but once the car is not being produced anymore the aftermarket WILL get weaker, it's just a fact of life.

I don't want that to happen anytime soon, so I'm hoping for no changes at LEAST thru '15 model year with hopefully nothing more than a facelift for the next 2 years or so after that. Then I might hope they do a "mkII" version of the car, but once again I hope it will remain mostly parts-compatible and only happens after a good 5 or 6 years of producing our version of the car. This outlook is selfish, but so what? If you think this is all just the mad ramblings of an insane man, then good on you! I might agree.
mitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mitosis For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-01-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #42
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
just because we arent getting a 2.0 turbo doesnt mean the FRS wont get a power bumper. there is still the 2.5 with 250hp
No power bump includes no different motor not just no FI .... Lol always someone in the room hoping for that one in ail lion chance lol. I'll call it now regardless of the (repeated) news that this platform power wise will get zero change peeps still hope full but... The nail in the coffin is the new supra coming Toyota now has zero need to fill small requests. For those that want that power and trim level they'll pay to play with a Supra. I know if final looks, specs and priced below 100k I'll pay to play along with keeping my frs I love the little fella.