follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
Enalband24

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ahh just came across this photo from my wedding. BEST, CAKE, EVER.

If anyone can't tell, it's a BRZ. And don't worry, it wasn't the real wedding cake, the wife would have killed me....
Old 11-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
Enalband24

Garage
Carsmo spoiler dropped off for paint today. Can't wait!

FYI, as soon as the Carsmo spoiler is installed, my limited wing with the STi gurney flap will be up for sale. Look out for the FS thread. I will link it here if anyone wants.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Haha, I love that cake! Plus it's got minty frosting, so that makes me like it even more.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
Enalband24 (11-14-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #18
Enalband24

Garage
Gave my buddy a hand changing the oil on his 1999 V-8 540i. A 20 minute oil change turned into a few hours after we discovered this beauty:

The last person who changed his oil stripped the threads on the bolt and the pan. Left us with a bolt that just kept spinning in the pan. So lucky we were able to get it out without dropping the pan, and HE was lucky his oil hadn't been leaking.

There is just something about having to tap out the oil pan threads on a Sunday evening that gets me so excited.

Last edited by Enalband24; 11-18-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Enalband24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #19
malubawla
poor man's evora

Drives: Turbod BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
car looks good!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looking good! We have similar engine setups! I like the triple pillar gauge pods!
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tye300 For This Useful Post:
Enalband24 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
Carlos_M

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Firstly, this is looking awesome, great job! Secondly, where did you get the emblem wraps?

Thanks for any help!

-Carlos
Carlos_M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos_M For This Useful Post:
Enalband24 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #22
Enalband24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_M View Post
Firstly, this is looking awesome, great job! Secondly, where did you get the emblem wraps?

Thanks for any help!

-Carlos
Thanks man, I appreciate the support!

I got the emblem wraps here:

http://www.jdmfanaticvinyls.com/12-13-brz/

There is a ton to choose from. Quality is pretty good too. Once applied, they are pretty durable. When I removed them, they preferred to rip into many pieces before they would come off clean. They were on there good.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Enalband24

Garage
Carsmo spoiler finally installed! Looks great! I will post up a DIY very soon!

EDIT: Some crappy iPhone pics for the time being. As said, a full DIY coming soon!

Last edited by Enalband24; 12-03-2014 at 07:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enalband24 For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (12-01-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #24
Enalband24

Garage
Stayed tuned guys. There is big plans in the works for this winter. I will be upgrading most of the drivetrain between this winter/early spring in preparation for the Vortech 2.87" pulley and water/meth injection next spring/summer.

I already have the carbon fiber driveshaft from DSS and water/meth PnP kit from Ptuning. Planning on throwing in some DSS 1000hp axles, an upgraded clutch (Not sure which yet), a Kaaz Super Q 2 way LSD, and a 4.56 final drive (both being installed in a spare used rear diff).

This is gonna be fun....

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on clutches based on my set up, throw em out there. I know there are plenty of threads on this, but I figured I'd ask, can't hurt! Thanks guys!

UPDATE: Spare used rear diff assembly and Kaaz 2 way Super Q diff ordered.

UPDATE #2: Clutch and 4.56 final drive ordered. Bought the final drive from Weir Performance, heard nothing but good things - very excited for this. Ended up going with the ACT XT Street Clutch Kit Normal, this is with the slightly heavier flywheel (11.8lbs) as compared to the pro-lite (10.2lbs I think). Can't wait...lightened flywheel, lightened drive shaft, shorter final drive...

Last edited by Enalband24; 12-12-2014 at 10:57 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enalband24 For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (01-08-2015), Tye300 (12-03-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #25
Enalband24

Garage
Carsmo Spoiler DIY

OK. Here is the Carsmo spoiler DIY as promised!

Tools Required:
-1/4" Ratchet
-1/4" Small Extension
-8mm Socket
-Small screwdriver
-Very Sharp Scissors/Razor Blade
-Electrical Tap/Vinyl/Vinyl Tape
-3M Automotive Grade Double-sided mounting tape (Provided with spoiler)
-3M Adhesion Promoter (Provided with spoiler)
-Automotive Soap
-Wax and grease remover
-Microfiber Towels
-High Quality Wax

I don't have any pictures of the spoiler as received, but it was just straight white. Very good quality, and fit perfectly when I mocked it up before paint.

So, first things first. Either have it painted, or paint it yourself. I chose to have mine color matched to my car - dark grey metallic (61K I believe).

OK, now that the spoiler is painted, lets get to installing!

If you have the limited wing, like I do, start by removing it. Open the trunk and remove the trunk lid liner. Remove the 6-7 pop clips holding it in place, and put it aside.

Next, there are 4 grommets that conceal 4 bolts securing the wing to the trunk, 2 on each side (Forgot to take a picture, I will throw it up soon). Find the grommets, remove them. Next, grab the 1/4" ratchet, 1/4" extension, and 8mm socket. Begin removing one bolt at a time. **ONCE YOU KNOW THE BOLT IS LOOSE, DO NOT TRY AND PULL IT OUT YET, YOU WILL BUMP THE EDGE OF THE LID AND LOSE IT IN THE TRUNK LID, ASK ME HOW I KNOW** While applying light pressure on the bolt into the wing, slowly lower the trunk lid until it is almost closed and crushing your hand (within reason), then slowly lower the bolt out of the lid. If you have a magnetic socket (if they even make this), that would be IDEAL. Repeat for all four bolts.

Once the bolts are removed, now we move onto the clips. There are 3 pop clips with no tabs (blue and green), and 2 pop clips with tabs (white/clear). Make sure you remove only the white/clear clips first. If you loosen the green and blue first, when you remove the last white/clear clip, the opposing end of the wing will fall down and strike the rear panel. Again, ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Begin removing the white pop clips using the small screwdriver, applying pressure to the tabs and the end of the wing simultaneously. Put some tape on the end of the screwdriver so you do not damage the paint. Repeat for the other side making sure that the white clips do not pop back into place.

Now that the white clips are unsecured, lower the trunk, apply medium pressure from both ends lifting the wing. It should just pop right off once the green and blue clips pop free.

OK. Now that the wing is removed. Wash the trunk lid. Ideally, you would have already washed the car prior to the installation so that the trunk isn't that dirty to begin with besides what is underneath the wing. I just used some rinseless car wash solution to clean the trunk. I then used the wax/grease remover to prep the surface for adhesion.

Next, apply the adhesion promoter to the spoiler underside. Follow the instructions on the tube. Crush the dot, apply liberally to all surfaces where the 3M double sided mounting tape will be applied, and wait 5 minutes.

While waiting for the adhesion promoter to dry, start to apply your vinyl tape over all the exposed holes, inside and out. It is pretty straightforward. I also covered up some chips to prevent corrosion that would be hidden underneath the spoiler.

Now, go back to the spoiler and apply the 3M double sided tape to appropriate areas of the underside of the spoiler. TAKE YOUR TIME, THIS STUFF IS PRETTY MUCH PERMANENT FROM HERE ON OUT. Try to mate the strips in the corners the best you can as to form a seal when applied to the trunk lid.

Once you are done applying the double sided tape, mock it up to the wing. See what you think and get and idea of how you are going to lay it down, whether you are doing it by yourself or with some help. Remember, we are taking our sweet ass time now.

Once you're happy, and you have a really good idea of how you are going to lay it down/make sure it is square/even with the rest of the body, start peeling the ends of each strip to form "tabs".

Now, carefully apply the spoiler as you had planned making sure it is square/even with the body/trunk lid. Apply a little pressure, then start removing all the tabs, pulling slowly as to not tear them (reason for making one on each end). Once all the backing is removed, apply firm pressure to the entire spoiler for a 15-30 seconds ensuring it is on there good.

Once completed, wash the spoiler and apply your quality wax, and presto, your done!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #26
Enalband24

Garage
OK, update. ACT XT Street Clutch Kit installed as well as the DSS carbon fiber driveshaft. Still breaking in the clutch, but everything feels awesome. Much more responsive.

Did the install with the help of my brother Steve. Two people makes this process much, much easier.

Big thanks to @Supermassive for the DIY. It was INCREDIBLY helpful. Never would have attempted this had I not seen his DIY. Thanks again!

Old 01-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #27
Enalband24

Garage
Well, I've been in the market for an oil pressure gauge recently, figured it would be a good idea to monitor the pressure, especially with the tendency of the oil temps to rise so easily in this vehicle. So I picked up an AEM digital oil pressure gauge and mounted it in the CravenSpeed flexpod mount after seeing the flexpod in @Dezoris and @Tye300's 86's. So here are my thoughts on both.

CravenSpeed Flexpod Mount:

I found this pod set up to be excellent overall. The adjustable pods allow the gauges to be right where you need them to be visible, and out of the way of vital instrumentation on the cluster (depending on your steering wheel height). The mount is stout and made out of aluminum which has a black matte finish (very clean in my opinion). I had two small issues. 1. The bolts they supplied were too long and allowed the pods to be loose when the bolts were fully tightened into the mount (I ended up sourcing my own shorter bolts). 2. When properly tightened, the steering would hit the bezel on the AEM gauge, there was not enough clearance (I found some small washers and placed them on the bolt in between the pod and mount to set the gauges back a bit farther). As I said though, I am very happy with the flexpod mount, solid mounting solution.

AEM Oil Pressure Gauge:

I'm not really sure what to think yet. I love that it is digital. However, my oil pressures seem to be pretty jumpy, it is never just on a number. It is constantly changing numbers with a range of +/- 10psi from the ideal pressure. I can't imagine my pressure is ACTUALLY fluctuating this much. I am wondering if this is due to having the sensor mounted in the oil galley plug, or simply because it is a digital gauge, or bc it is a POS. Not sure. I sourced the proper extension bolt to use the TRD sandwich sensor plate in conjunction with the mocal thermostatic sandwich plate. I will try moving the sensor to the sandwich plate and see if that helps. I will report back.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...07945125781915

**I will post pictures up later, no pics, no proof**

Last edited by Enalband24; 01-08-2015 at 08:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enalband24 For This Useful Post:
Tye300 (01-10-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #28
Enalband24

Garage
Ah, so I forgot to post this up. With the help of my brother and @Dustin's thorough Diff + Ring & Pinion DIY, I started building the differential.

So far, we have the old diff out of the housing, and the new ring gear installed on the new KAAZ 2-Way diff.

Now, I am just waiting for more parts to come in from the Subaru dealership as they messed up my first order.

Will post more updates as it progresses. Enjoy!

My brother giving me a hand:

Massive help to have a bearing heater:

And a maintenance department to use:

Tags
#firstbuild, #firstsubaru, #moretocome, fbmboosted