follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2020, 04:07 AM   #1
Ryan GT86

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What's the easiest way to bed new XP10s and new rotors?

I'm getting new blank rotors (Stoptech/Centric for front/rear) all around along with new XP10 front pads (my current set of XP10 rears have plenty of life in them). What's the easiest way to bed them?

I was thinking of just doing multiple brake runs from 70 to 30 and one 80 to 20 brake run like I did for my XP10s onto the OEM rotors but I'm wondering if there's easier or better methods since I'll be on fresh rotors.

I know Carbotech's instructions are to use your first session on track to bed them in but I don't want to do that with other cars on the track that could be behind me.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
biggie

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Carbotech instructions states that you need to heat them until some slight fade is noticeable, but in a 2 step approach.
I do several 70 to about 10 mph moderate intensity brake runs to put some heat in the pads and then several high intensity (threshold braking, so no ABS) with same speeds until brakes are fading. Park the car for at least 1h (no handbrake).

It's not easy but it's the right way (as per Carbotech).
biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie View Post
Carbotech instructions states that you need to heat them until some slight fade is noticeable, but in a 2 step approach.
I do several 70 to about 10 mph moderate intensity brake runs to put some heat in the pads and then several high intensity (threshold braking, so no ABS) with same speeds until brakes are fading. Park the car for at least 1h (no handbrake).

That is mostly right. You need to drive for about 10-15 minutes without touching the brake if you can, to cool them down before parking. Otherwise you will stick a bunch of pad material to the rotor.

Personally my favorite way to bed XP10's is to throw them away and buy a real pad.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
When I bed my brakes I like to do 4-8 (depending on pads) 50-20mph braking to get the brakes warmed up. Then I make a u turn without coming to a stop and do 4-8 60-10mph hard stops. When I start to see sparks I’ll do an intense brake 1 or 2 more times.

Like mentioned, make sure you end your hard braking going in a direction you won’t have to use your brakes at all. The worst thing you can do is ride the brakes or come to a full stop with the brakes pressed.

I am in the Bay Area too and I do it next to Redwood Canyon golf course. I drive past the course to the bridge, make a u turn and warm up the brakes. I then make a U turn at the golf course entrance and start my hard braking. Then I am facing the winding part of redwood road and I can cruise for 20 minutes without touching my brakes.

Sorry if this is TMI to your original question lol.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
Ryan GT86

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
When I bed my brakes I like to do 4-8 (depending on pads) 50-20mph braking to get the brakes warmed up. Then I make a u turn without coming to a stop and do 4-8 60-10mph hard stops. When I start to see sparks I’ll do an intense brake 1 or 2 more times.

Like mentioned, make sure you end your hard braking going in a direction you won’t have to use your brakes at all. The worst thing you can do is ride the brakes or come to a full stop with the brakes pressed.

I am in the Bay Area too and I do it next to Redwood Canyon golf course. I drive past the course to the bridge, make a u turn and warm up the brakes. I then make a U turn at the golf course entrance and start my hard braking. Then I am facing the winding part of redwood road and I can cruise for 20 minutes without touching my brakes.

Sorry if this is TMI to your original question lol.
Thanks for the info guys. I'll bed them on some roads in an industrial section near me to avoid traffic.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You can bed them on the track. They run hot so it's easy to bring them up to temp in the first session while holding 70-80% pace without engaging ABS.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote