follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #15
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
I had a Mk1, be careful to not swap ends, they do it quite well with their mid engine layout.

And not fun oversteer, the, I'm going backwards.........NOW.......type.

You can set them up to handle really nice though, and 4AGE screaming off its tits is a beautiful thing to hear.

They make the FA sound like a tractor.

You will think your driving, a reliable, old 911.
I actually like quick responding chassis... the FR-S was good but just a tad slow compared to what I like. Actually had a FWD Integra RS that was setup to wanting to swap the rear end out on track... a lot more tail happy than my FR-S was. I do understand that mid-engine and rear end requires proper cornering and braking techniques, having to always be on top of the chassis - you can be fairly lax with the FR-S and it won't bite you. The Porsche 911 GT3 RS is my go to car in full blown racing sims (not arcade games like Forza and Grand Turismo).

Depending on condition of bushings @ 166k miles it has, I will leave it as is for a little bit or just go immediately to the T3 front and rear arm and link setup... it already has Koni dampers with Eibach ProKits so good on suspension otherwise.

4AGEs are indeed beautiful sounding engines...especially in race trim:

Last edited by Vracer111; 07-19-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #16
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
I actually like quick responding chassis... the FR-S was good but just a tad slow compared to what I like. Actually had a FWD Integra RS that was setup to wanting to swap the rear end out on track... a lot more tail happy than my FR-S was. I do understand that mid-engine and rear end requires proper cornering and braking techniques, having to always be on top of the chassis - you can be fairly lax with the FR-S and it won't bite you. The Porsche 911 GT3 RS is my go to car in full blown racing sims (not arcade games like Forza and Grand Turismo).

Depending on condition of bushings @ 166k miles it has, I will leave it as is for a little bit or just go immediately to the T3 front and rear arm and link setup... it already has Koni dampers with Eibach ProKits so good on suspension otherwise.

4AGEs are indeed beautiful sounding engines...especially in race trim:

LOL

My daughter liked my old AW11.

I sold it to guy at work who put it into a wall backwards.

I wouldn't mind a SW20
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 12:20 AM   #17
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Out of curiosity if your only complaint was a little lack of power in the FR-S why didn't you slap on a low maintenance, low boost supercharger?

Was it that you didn't want to wrench on the FR-S? Or that you didn't want a bit the added maintenance? Was it a bit too much money?

All good reasons but, kind of counter productive if your next step is buying an older project car that will require more wrenching, more money and more maintenance.

(Just thinking out loud.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-01-2020), soundman98 (07-20-2020), Tcoat (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #18
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The only issue with test driving a 15 to 25 year old car is that the one you test could be very, very different from the one you buy. You could be totally deceived one way or the other and not buy something great or think you like it just to find the one you bought sucks.

I can understand the driving new ones but that could still wait until you are actually shopping not a couple of years ahead. Things can change a pile in one model year.
This. Bushings, engine/trans/ujoint/etc/etc/etc wear can be vastly different on two different 20 year old cars, even with the same mileage.

OP: FWIW I've never had an issue test driving any older car. Some private owners will care more than others of course so I tend to target dealers instead but that's not always possible. And it's not like I've ever been selling a car to have a buyer come by to drive it that was CLEARLY wasting my time.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-01-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (07-20-2020), Tcoat (07-20-2020), why? (08-01-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 12:29 AM   #19
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Out of curiosity if your only complaint was a little lack of power in the FR-S why didn't you slap on a low maintenance, low boost supercharger?

Was it that you didn't want to wrench on the FR-S? Or that you didn't want a bit the added maintenance? Was it a bit too much money?

All good reasons but, kind of counter productive if your next step is buying an older project car that will require more wrenching, more money and more maintenance.

(Just thinking out loud.)
I'm assuming this is directed to me? I never mentioned anything about lack of power, I've always been fine with the stock FR-S power level (I'm one of those guys). I was talking about speed of its chassis responsiveness - it's reflexes... It's a stable, pretty safely setup chassis (and am talking about the very first two years more tail happy suspension setup before it was neutered some from '15 onwards...) I prefer just a little bit quicker rotating than the '13 FR-S.

Most everything I did to the FR-S was to increase it's responsiveness... solid aluminum steering bushings, stiff motor/transmission mounts, lighter 17x7.5 wheels with smaller 205/45-17 tires, much lighter custom center exit exhaust, Winmax W3 pads. If I kept the FR-S would have wanted to go racing flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, and Essex Sprint front brake setup along with finally upgrading from stock suspension (to Bilstein B6 dampers and RSR springs [because one of the few spring sets that keep really close to the original F/R balance along with minimal lowering amount]) as it was starting to get a little tired at 63k miles. I didn't really want to get rid of my FR-S at all, but did so to get out of debt because it was the quickest, easiest way to do so. It was the logical thing to do... but not something I wanted to do.

I don't really do forced induction... simply have a thing for quick revving N/A motors in a light chassis that has good reflexes. Was into Honda's for the longest time, before they went away from double wishbone suspension setup and started getting fatter and sloppier. Mainly concentrate on removing weight and quickening the responsiveness of the chassis. The closer can get it to a racing kart in responsiveness the more I like it. Was not actually looking to get the MR2, it just happened and I went with it...because couldn't say no to this deal. Was really just looking to get a couple thousand dollar beater vehicle with no ABS, no traction/stability system, and fully mechanical inputs... because after selling the FR-S was one of the first time ever since driving that I only had a single vehicle... and I really don't like only having 1 vehicle.

Mostly been a truck + fun car kind of vehicle owner so started looking for cheap fun cars. The MR2 just happened to be the right car at the right time for the right price. I don't need speed or power to enjoy a car - I do need it to react quickly and precisely to inputs though... the more telepathic and lightning quick it's responsiveness the more I'll like it, though would be nice to have a good sense of planted stability versus skittishness. That's kind of where the FR-S rides the line - a responsive, quick chassis but with good stability and planted feel after a little bit of work put into it.
Kiske (07-21-2020), why? (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 01:43 AM   #20
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
The reason is that I don't want to test drive a particular car for buying, I want to test drive a car to device which car I like. For example, if in 5 years I want to replace the BRZ with something more fun and decide I want to check out a Series 2 Elise, a 987 Cayman and a MR2 Spyder, these cars would be 15 to 25 years old. Say I see an Elise for sale, test drive it and like it, how do I know I won't like the MR2 better? Or the Cayman? So I decide to wait until I can get a test drive on them as well. While I'm waiting the Elise is sold. I would much rather know what I'll want and then wait for a good car to show up.

That's a great suggestion, but does involve a lot of effort, especially if I'm interested in multiple cars. I've actually saw a few posts like that in the past in enthusiast forums and the responses were fairly supportive. Thanks!

You sound like a great candidate for RENTING the cars you want to experience. I don't think a simple "test drive" will be enough for you.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (08-01-2020), why? (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 01:48 AM   #21
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Agree, how can you know you want to invest in a car unless you drive it? It's not all about vetting any issues. I try to be a bit more sensitive with private sellers as I'm taking up someone's personal time - but I have no hesitation with trying out a car from a dealer. It's why they're there and it's not a crime to test drive any car (even though some snotty sales folks may act like it is).
What's the differentiation between wasting someone's time at a dealer vs a private seller? Aren't you wasting their time either way?

While I totally get that the internet loves to hate dealers, that salesperson is a person too.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:52 AM   #22
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
I'm always one to plan ahead, and am thinking about the next car after my BRZ. Having come from a FWD hot hatch to a RWD coupe, I don't see too many options to really improve on my driving experience. This is especially true as modern cars are more and more muted.

I've been thinking of an older car that will also serve as a project car (might replace the BRZ, might join it), and a Series 2 Lotus Elise piqued my interest. Question is, how do I get a test drive on one to know if I like it? They are not sold as new, are pretty rare and I doubt I'd see a used one in a dealership in my area. I can only imagine the situation getting worse in the years to come or for older/rarer cars.

I'm also considering a 987 Cayman or a 996 911 (which do pop up occasional at dealers around here) and an MR2 Spyder (not as bad as the Elise, but rarer than the Porsches).

How do people test drive these (and older) cars? I'd hate to wait until a local car's on sale only to test drive it without intention of buying it. I know Turo might be an option (specifically has a couple of Exiges, but nothing close by). Am I missing anything?

BTW, for the more mundane cars that I think of getting used in the future I test drive new cars in the dealership a few years ahead of the purchase. So if I know I'll be in the market in a couple of years for a 2-3 years old SUV I'll test drive the options today, write down my impressions (I love spreadsheets) and will be ready to shop in 2 years time.
Find a local group of enthusiasts who you both trust and trust you. With enough trust, they'll happily allow you to drive their cars and even push it within your limits. Don't be shy about returning the favor. If you're not comfortable handing over your keys, don't expect them to be comfortable handing over theirs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (08-01-2020), soundman98 (08-01-2020), strat61caster (08-04-2020), why? (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #23
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
What's the differentiation between wasting someone's time at a dealer vs a private seller? Aren't you wasting their time either way?
I'd say there's an expectation from a dealer to have a test drive, while with a private party the expectation isn't typically there. This is especially true of new cars (obviously), but also for used cars. It's a part of a dealer's "job description" - allow test drives even for "non-serious" buyers. Window shopping for cars includes not just sitting in them, but also driving them.
Also, it's not just a matter of "wasting their time", but also (more so?) about a stranger driving your car.

Quote:
You sound like a great candidate for RENTING the cars you want to experience. I don't think a simple "test drive" will be enough for you.
Yep, totally agree with that. Turo would probably have been a boon for me had I lived in a more cosmopolitan area. Sadly I'm in the heart of the Midwest, so pickings are slim. I'll happily invest $100-$200 for a few hours with a car on my short list (Cayman, Elise, MR2).

Quote:
If you're not comfortable handing over your keys, don't expect them to be comfortable handing over theirs.
I guess that's the main reason behind my hesitation to ask a "window shopping test drive" from a private party - I wouldn't want to give somebody a "joy ride" on my car. Thanks for the insights!
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-01-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #24
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Hagerty Driveshare is another option for renting a wide variety of vehicles for hours/days at a time.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #25
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

While I totally get that the internet loves to hate dealers, that salesperson is a person too.

Well my point was salespeople are there to sell cars, and part of their job is to show cars. They know that you're not necessarily going to buy the car you test drive, and they are there all day to show cars in the homes that someone does buy the car. Private sellers, while they're somewhat obliged to put time into showing their car if they have any hopes of selling, they are not employed 8 hours a day by a dealer to do so. In my mind there's a difference
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-02-2020), spike021 (08-02-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #26
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I don't understand why you need to test drive something if you are not prepared to buy it. If a car comes up for sale and you're ready to buy it, go test drive it. If you don't like it, move on.

You must have an astounding amount of free time if you're test driving the "mundane cars" that you might be in the market for in a few years.
I'm late to the party, but a test drive of this nature is far more acceptable with a dealership (because there are often so many of 'em, you could be bargain shopping). When I had my WRX, I test drove a 370Z because on paper it looked like the best next car. Then I test drove one and was instantly turned off by the frumpy controls. For dealers, ALWAYS call ahead. Walk-ins at your local Porsche dealer never give you the time of day unless you're dripping in diamonds.

I highly advise NOT to ask for a test drive while you're window-shopping private listings. This is extremely disrespectful (but I know y'all aren't doing that). Riding passenger is totally acceptable.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-03-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #27
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
I don't really do forced induction... simply have a thing for quick revving N/A motors in a light chassis that has good reflexes.
Why not have both?
Attached Images

ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-03-2020), NoHaveMSG (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #28
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Well my point was salespeople are there to sell cars, and part of their job is to show cars. They know that you're not necessarily going to buy the car you test drive, and they are there all day to show cars in the homes that someone does buy the car. Private sellers, while they're somewhat obliged to put time into showing their car if they have any hopes of selling, they are not employed 8 hours a day by a dealer to do so. In my mind there's a difference
Both the private seller and dealer salesperson have the same objective to sell you the car, and both hope you buy.

Both are only paid if you actually purchase.