follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #1
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CV joint issues on track cars

So a few guys seem to have had issues with CV joints on lowered cars and now I'm paranoid. My BRZ is lowered slightly (Still some dead cat space between tyre and guard) with MCA Race Primes only because that's what they recommended. IDGAF about 'stance' or appearance. Anyone experienced CV joint issues with track use or is it mostly an excessive travel issue on stupidly low cars.

I have heard what I now believe to be some CV clicking, only on one very hard corner of the track as I accelerate through it. I think my suspension might be compressing too much. (I'm on 235 AO50 softs). Anyone have similar experiences?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I know @rice_classic has killed some and has some good info in his T4 build thread. I haven't had an issue yet but I carry spares. Could try checking the torque on the axle nut. I had one that used to make some noise that just needed tightened. I haven't come across another twin owner that has told be about a failure on track yet.
Purist (08-04-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #3
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
So a few guys seem to have had issues with CV joints on lowered cars and now I'm paranoid. My BRZ is lowered slightly (Still some dead cat space between tyre and guard) with MCA Race Primes only because that's what they recommended. IDGAF about 'stance' or appearance. Anyone experienced CV joint issues with track use or is it mostly an excessive travel issue on stupidly low cars.

I have heard what I now believe to be some CV clicking, only on one very hard corner of the track as I accelerate through it. I think my suspension might be compressing too much. (I'm on 235 AO50 softs). Anyone have similar experiences?

Click here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=111

Another good grease, BTW is the Swepco 101
Purist (08-04-2020), Stonehorsw (12-10-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

It happens under big compression moments, and particularly if you get air with one side only and shock the rear.

Aftermarket axles typically fix it, as does getting a drop knuckle.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Purist (08-04-2020), smg1138 (12-09-2020), Wally86 (12-08-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Purist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It happens under big compression moments, and particularly if you get air with one side only and shock the rear.

Aftermarket axles typically fix it, as does getting a drop knuckle.
Thanks heaps. Always grateful for advice I get on this forum. Especially from people who really know.
CSG Mike (08-04-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
ROADRACER

Drives: unlimited cheap build N/A track car
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am lowered around 1.5 inches and have run over 25 track days with the stock axles. I recently damaged a boot and disassembled the cv joint to take a look. It had very little wear and I have no worries about re using it.
I wouldn't worry to much about them with a NA car.
ROADRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADRACER View Post
I am lowered around 1.5 inches and have run over 25 track days with the stock axles. I recently damaged a boot and disassembled the cv joint to take a look. It had very little wear and I have no worries about re using it.
Your experience =/= everyone's experience. While it may not have had happened to you, it's happened enough times to enough folks that it's known to be an issue that can and will occur. Maybe it's luck of the draw.

here's a picture of my axle when the CV decided to give up.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
ayoshioka1

Drives: 2019 BRZ / E36 325is
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
before i started taking my car to the circuit. i installed the cusco drivers side axle heat shield. simple yet effective piece where it blocks the heat coming off the exhaust by blocking the unnecessary heat into the cv joint. hopefully this will extend the life of the grease and bearing components. part was cheap and easy to install. might be a worthwhile investment if your a bit worried about your drivers side cv joint giving out.

pn: 965-047-A
CSG Mike (08-06-2020), norcalpb (12-08-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
Purist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

Root cause analysis? Excessive angle= excess stress on the housing? Any warning signs?

Last edited by Purist; 08-05-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Purist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
Purist

Quote:

What type of track work and what tyres?

Old 08-06-2020, 01:27 AM   #11
CSG Mike

Quote:

Root cause analysis? Excessive angle= excess stress on the housing? Any warning signs?

No real warnings besides the usual clicking on load change. Came off of a berm and no more acceleration.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
ROADRACER

Quote:

Ive run NT01 a lot as well as Maxxis RC1. As far as the type of track work...I would say lots of pushing the car hard and wide open throttle everywhere including places that compress the suspension and put maximum load on the CV joints.

Im not saying cv joints never fail, but if you go to a track day virtually everyone is running stock axles and I haven't seen any cars going home on a trailer because of it.
Some people on this forum have a vested interest and a history of trying to scare people into buying expensive parts from them that they don't actually need.
Ive been running hard for years with no concerns and no issues until I accidentally damaged a boot while messing with the exhaust. I disassembled the joint and it looks like new, but the boot is ruined so I replaced the whole axle with a used OEM one I got off ebay for $75. It is working fine as well.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Quote:
Ive run NT01 a lot as well as Maxxis RC1. As far as the type of track work...I would say lots of pushing the car hard and wide open throttle everywhere including places that compress the suspension and put maximum load on the CV joints.

Im not saying cv joints never fail, but if you go to a track day virtually everyone is running stock axles and I haven't seen any cars going home on a trailer because of it.
Some people on this forum have a vested interest and a history of trying to scare people into buying expensive parts from them that they don't actually need.
Ive been running hard for years with no concerns and no issues until I accidentally damaged a boot while messing with the exhaust. I disassembled the joint and it looks like new, but the boot is ruined so I replaced the whole axle with a used OEM one I got off ebay for $75. It is working fine as well.
That's not what breaks axles. It's sudden shock load when the axle cannot take any more.

Just because you've not had a history of failures doesn't mean everyone will mirror your experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Purist (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #14
ROADRACER

Quote:

This is the CV joint after a lot of hard track miles. When I run my fingers over the wear surfaces there are no indications of wear. I may get a new boot for it and keep it as a spare just to insure I will never need it.lol.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to ROADRACER For This Useful Post:
Purist (08-07-2020)