follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
mrdanyo

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (World Rally Blue)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there a best way to use the college rebate?

I'm not exactly sure how the college rebate factors into the sale of the vehicle, but at what point of the conversation would it be best to mention it?

Could I go in and negotiate an OTD price/financing option, and then only after I'm happy with the number, bring up the rebate for additional savings?

I don't want the rebate to be used as part of the "dealer incentive" in the negotiation process, because really, it's a rebate that I've already been prequalified for.

I'd love to know how others have used their prequalified rebates in the negotiation process!
mrdanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
SVThis

Drives: Scion FRS
It shouldn't make a difference. If you qualify for the rebate you get it. It shouldn't affect the dealer one way or another
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SVThis For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdanyo View Post
I'm not exactly sure how the college rebate factors into the sale of the vehicle, but at what point of the conversation would it be best to mention it?

Could I go in and negotiate an OTD price/financing option, and then only after I'm happy with the number, bring up the rebate for additional savings?

I don't want the rebate to be used as part of the "dealer incentive" in the negotiation process, because really, it's a rebate that I've already been prequalified for.

I'd love to know how others have used their prequalified rebates in the negotiation process!
That's probably a good idea. I bet if you just waited until you sign all the final paperwork, you could 'let them know' about it then to potentially get the most off the car as you could. The financial manager's job is to account for any misc. things at the end anyway so that sounds like a good option to me as the price still wouldn't be 100% finalized.

That being said, I don't know if you'll be able to negotiate - scion has something called "pure pricing" which means you always pay the MSRP price. At least my dealer did. Stupid, IMO...
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
mrdanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVThis View Post
It shouldn't make a difference. If you qualify for the rebate you get it. It shouldn't affect the dealer one way or another
I know that I'll get it, but when is the rebate applied? Is it applied in the negotiation process, or through the finance department AFTER I've already negotiated a price at the dealer (which would mean additional savings on my behalf)?
I've never dealt with car dealerships before, so I'm not too familiar with the entire process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
That's probably a good idea. I bet if you just waited until you sign all the final paperwork, you could 'let them know' about it then to potentially get the most off the car as you could. The financial manager's job is to account for any misc. things at the end anyway so that sounds like a good option to me as the price still wouldn't be 100% finalized.

That being said, I don't know if you'll be able to negotiate - scion has something called "pure pricing" which means you always pay the MSRP price. At least my dealer did. Stupid, IMO...
Yeah, Scion's pure pricing... (n)
But I'd be going for the BRZ anyway, so I know that it's still possible to work your way with the numbers. :P
Old 03-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Sonolin
Banned

Quote:
But I'd be going for the BRZ anyway, so I know that it's still possible to work your way with the numbers. :P
Ah ok, you posted in the fr-s forum so I just assumed sorry about that.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I know that I'll get it, but when is the rebate applied? Is it applied in the negotiation process, or through the finance department AFTER I've already negotiated a price at the dealer (which would mean additional savings on my behalf)?
I've never dealt with car dealerships before, so I'm not too familiar with the entire process.

The dealer shouldn't use it as leverage, you should agree on a car and when the "handshake" happens (after you agree on the car and price and begin the paperwork) bring it up. Make sure you have proof, this is very important. A copy of your degree or an official transcript should do.

It shouldn't matter when you bring it up, the dealer gets the money anyway through Scion.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
mrdanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
Ah ok, you posted in the fr-s forum so I just assumed sorry about that.
Woops! I thought I was in the BRZ forum (should I repost it there?), but I guess it wouldn't matter where I asked. And no need to apologize, your input was helpful too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The dealer shouldn't use it as leverage, you should agree on a car and when the "handshake" happens (after you agree on the car and price and begin the paperwork) bring it up. Make sure you have proof, this is very important. A copy of your degree or an official transcript should do.

It shouldn't matter when you bring it up, the dealer gets the money anyway through Scion.
Thanks, this was exactly what I was wondering.
I graduated in calendar year 2011, so I still have some time before I sign the dotted lines. Just looking to get the most out of it! :P
Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
aghuman

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had anther discount valid before I purchased my FR-S so I didn't mention the grad rebate until the final OTR price was done at which point i gave them the details that I was eligible for a grad rebate. The fact of the matter is that the grad rebate is self its from Toyota Canada(or U.S.) and not from an individual dealership so they seemingly have no gain or loss from you claiming a grad rebate. Presumably the later you mention the better, that's the option I chose and it worked well for me.
aghuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Sonolin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghuman View Post
I had anther discount valid before I purchased my FR-S so I didn't mention the grad rebate until the final OTR price was done at which point i gave them the details that I was eligible for a grad rebate. The fact of the matter is that the grad rebate is self its from Toyota Canada(or U.S.) and not from an individual dealership so they seemingly have no gain or loss from you claiming a grad rebate. Presumably the later you mention the better, that's the option I chose and it worked well for me.
Sounds like solid advice. No point in telling them you have an extra 1k cash off the bat.

GL with getting your new brz, btw, don't baby her too much
Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
shawnperolis

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT "Panda"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No negotiating at Scion, they'll just take the 500 off for the student discount and that's that.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just make sure they take the $500 off the PRE-tax amount...free tank of gas depending on your states tax.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
JDKane527

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I got $1000 off for recent grad when I purchased beginning of March. I mentioned it while we were doing paperwork early on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
amg

Drives: FR-S: Firestorm
The rebate comes from the manufacturer, so this does not affect the dealer's revenue. You can bring it up anytime you want.

I did it right in the beginning and then told them about the APA pre-negotiated price. Ended up getting the car for ~$30,700 after everything (tax, freight, etc.) and Global-i registration.
amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg View Post
The rebate comes from the manufacturer, so this does not affect the dealer's revenue. You can bring it up anytime you want.

I did it right in the beginning and then told them about the APA pre-negotiated price. Ended up getting the car for ~$30,700 after everything (tax, freight, etc.) and Global-i registration.
This is Exactly it. Although, some dealers will want to Steal it from you. Rebate belongs to you from the Manufacturer.

Negotiate first, then After the price is Negotiated, put the Rebate on top of that price.

So, for example, if you can negotiate the car from 27,000 to 25,000, then Rebate 1000 = you have the car at 24000. The dealer still selling the car for 25,000

Again, Some dealer will want to steal it away. Always ask for the Sell price without rebate. If that is un-reasonable high, then do not go for it, just walk away

There is no point for someone without rebate buying at the same price as You with the Rebate. That means they Stole it.

BTW, the rebate is Before Tax.....
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote