follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #127
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Actually, I think this entire thread is about an ESC being just as good, more cost effective, or better than a traditional FI set up.

Better is a subjective opinion when comparing two different products. To some people a lower cost and or install time makes it better in their eyes.

Other people don't mind investing more time or money or they have higher power goals, for them traditional FI is better.

Everyone that is in the thread that has purchased one has done it for specific reasons, peak power is not one of them. Most people want a modest boost in HP while adding a nice punch of torque down low. The cost of the system and the ease of install is a great plus for the ESC.

It took me much longer to install my OpenFlash header and i got alot less gains from it....but i bought it for different reasons than all out power. In my mind the sound was worth the money and time it took to install.

The barrier to entry with the ESC is very low, thats why many people love the extra power for a relatively small investment.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (04-07-2015), DAEMANO (04-07-2015), GT86meMR2 (04-07-2015), WRB5titch (04-08-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #128
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I love how on a forum where we constantly explain to people why we didn't buy the car with the most horsepower we have to explain to people why we didn't buy the SC with the most horsepower.
brzaapi (04-07-2015), continuecrushing (04-07-2015), CY86 (12-06-2018), DAEMANO (04-07-2015), Quasar Kid (02-12-2016), Sojhinn (04-07-2015), tyrantcf (04-11-2015), Ultramaroon (04-07-2015), WRB5titch (04-08-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #129
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
I love how on a forum where we constantly explain to people why we didn't buy the car with the most horsepower we have to explain to people why we didn't buy the SC with the most horsepower.
omg quote of the month.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-07-2015), Sojhinn (04-07-2015), Ultramaroon (04-07-2015), WRB5titch (04-08-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #130
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post

Holy crap. This sums up everything perfectly.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (04-07-2015), DAEMANO (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #131
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
@LucidMomentum, thanks for my new sig!

You stole my idea.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-07-2015), Ultramaroon (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #132
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
You stole my idea.
Nope. Couldn't do that. I don't even own one yet. It's yours.

There ya go. I backed out.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #133
PowderfaceTr.

Drives: stock
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Say what ever you guys want about all this subjective appreciation. The numbers don't add up. The only thing the ESC has on a EBAY turbo kit is the some people cant unscrew a manifold for the life of them. They both spool the same. Have any of you ran a small turbo? They have tons of low end and fall on their face just a fast as the ESC. Its the same physics, only one is efficient the other is inefficient and pile of Lead. Do you really think adding more lead to your car is a performance modification? so whine all you want about install time, too much power, and cost. The fact is banks, the ones that back product design firms, don't care about your dreams unless you can prove it in a paper. I suggest you find some engineer undergrad to write his thesis on the applications of ESCs before you go sell your house.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #134
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderfaceTr. View Post
Say what ever you guys want about all this subjective appreciation. The numbers don't add up. The only thing the ESC has on a EBAY turbo kit is the some people cant unscrew a manifold for the life of them. They both spool the same. Have any of you ran a small turbo? They have tons of low end and fall on their face just a fast as the ESC. Its the same physics, only one is efficient the other is inefficient and pile of Lead. Do you really think adding more lead to your car is a performance modification? so whine all you want about install time, too much power, and cost. The fact is banks, the ones that back product design firms, don't care about your dreams unless you can prove it in a paper. I suggest you find some engineer undergrad to write his thesis on the applications of ESCs before you go sell your house.
Aaaaaaand he's officially gone off the deep end.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #135
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
everyone please just stop responding to his bs
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-07-2015), Ultramaroon (04-07-2015), weederr33 (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #136
Simplicity

Drives: 15' MT FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow bro.. awesome story, will definitely bookmark and make sure to read this again!!
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simplicity For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #137
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #138
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Nope. Couldn't do that. I don't even own one yet. It's yours.

There ya go. I backed out.

It's all yours. It applies to all of us no matter what sc we use.

Installed Mods:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #139
PowderfaceTr.

Drives: stock
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just something I was reading before I came here. Since you like good reads.

CPT is backed by several private-equity funds and other investors, including Kuwait Petroleum, Conduit Ventures and National Technology Enterprises. It has two operations in the U.K., both former Visteon facilities, with mechanical development centered in Essex near Ford and software engineering housed not far from Jaguar Land Rover headquarters in Coventry.

Controlled Power Technologies' innovative application of switched reluctance motor technology for existing 12 and 24 volt systems means it is well placed to exploit the proposed 48 volt electrical architecture fast gaining grounf in Europe and other key automotive markets. Other applications of a more powerful air charging solution for reducing CO2 emissions without sacrifcing vehicle performance include commercial vehicles for reducing diesel engine NOx and particulate emissions.

Controlled Power Technologies (CPT) will be present at Engine Expo North America, the region’s brand-new trade fair for automotive powertrain design and development, which arrives at the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi, Michigan, on October 25, 26 and 27. CPT is developing a 48 volt version of its electric supercharger based on its variable torque enhancement system known as VTES. The more powerful higher voltage variant will support moves by European vehicle manufacturers announced earlier this year to introduce 48 volt passenger vehicle power networks to help meet the requirement for lower fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

CPT currently provides the only production ready 12 volt supercharger available as original equipment for passenger car applications. The scalable design and highly controllable switched reluctance motor technology means it can move swiftly to offer a more powerful 48 volt solution to meet a diverse range of OEM customer enquiries.

At 48 volts a VTES electric supercharger will efficiently transform 7kW of battery power into a highly boosted charge of air for downsized gasoline and diesel engines. Unlike crankshaft driven superchargers and exhaust gas driven turbochargers, an electric supercharger is mechanically decoupled from the engine, which means it can deliver the air almost instantaneously into the engine – spinning up to 70,000rpm in less than a third of a second.

“Even with the higher transmission gearing adopted by manufacturers to reduce CO2 emissions and particularly at the lowest engine revs, the instant additional torque when the driver needs to accelerate these smaller powertrains from low engine speeds is already very beneficial at 12 volts,” says CPT’s engineering director and chief technical officer Guy Morris. “Electric supercharging at 48 volts extends that envelope of torque enhancement. It’s an efficient way of using 7kW of stored electrical power to deliver not less than six times that at the crankshaft. In other words adding a useful 42kW boost for low speed overtaking and hill climbs.

“Depending on the turbocharged engine system optimization, the boost could be as much as much as 70kW or 10 times the instantaneous power extracted from the batteries or supercapacitors.”

CPT foresees a new generation of micro mild hybrid vehicles with radically downsized engines featuring transient electric boosting as a more effective hybrid alternative to the mechanical supercharging and/or twin turbo-charging systems in use today.

“The torque response of these future VTES equipped vehicles will be equivalent to the best mass market vehicles on the road today,” says Morris. “There will be no torque deficit or other tradeoffs from essential engine downsizing and higher gearing, which now dominates the development of internal combustion engines. If anything their low speed performance will be even better, while still delivering very significant fuel economy benefits and CO2 reduction.”

Commenting on additional applications, CPT’s senior manager for VTES, Mark Criddle adds: “We’ve also been responding to customer enquiries from vehicle manufacturers for some while now interested in applying VTES technology to diesel engines, both to help with the control of NOx and particulates, and for the regeneration of off-highway engine diesel particulate filters.”

CPT’s production ready VTES technology has already been incorporated as a 12 volt system in its ‘low cost’ ‘low consumption’ ‘low carbon’ LC Super Hybrid technology demonstrator. The company has commissioned AVL to build the demonstrator, which is currently undergoing final shake-down trials in Austria in readiness for evaluation by vehicle manufacturers. Following this initial assessment by carmakers, the vehicle will then be re-built with a 48 volt electrical system. The project is being supported and funded by the Advanced Lead Acid Battery Consortium (ALABC).

Last edited by PowderfaceTr.; 04-07-2015 at 10:32 PM.
PowderfaceTr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #140
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Rant.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...03#post2133203

Quote:
Article
So that means it works, right? That's what the article says.