follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2020, 12:33 AM   #15
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
home depot sells home renovation supplies to anyone with a credit card--even if it's not theirs. to draw a parallel, would this mean that any home renovation done via components procured through home depot inherently meet all applicable building codes?
to draw the accurate parallel, if a trained and licensed contractor procured components from my local building supply recycler and performed a flawless install of those components in accordance with codes, i’d be confused if someone came along and told me it’s not permissible for a contractor to do that and no one should trust a contractor that does, because the original home builder doesn’t approve.

Last edited by pope; 12-30-2020 at 01:12 AM. Reason: spelling
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:28 AM   #16
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Most of it comes down to insurance regulations and requirements. Insurance says the oems method is the only acceptable method.

I just worked is house today that had work obviously done by a contractor. On the surface, it was correct, but once the wall was opened, fittings were missing, and they hodge podged connections to make everything appear to work.

You're making a lot of assumptions that the person doing the work is qualified enough to make alterations to the repair process. In that previous body shop link, someone died in large part because of what could easily be considered a simple change in installation procedure. But it had serious ramifications in the structural integrity of the vehicle chassis that they didn't account for.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #17
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I’m not assuming the repair process is being altered, I am confused by the blanket statement that structural components can’t be reused even if they are installed according to the procedure outlined by the OEM for maintaining structural integrity.

I know from experience that as recently as 20 years ago (yes it may have changed in the intervening years) that at least one i-car collision repair training program included how to section salvage parts into a wrecked vehicle during a collision repair.

I read the link presented as evidence that shops must follow procedure or be liable, but the process the shop in the link followed was wildly different from the required procedure. Although, the required process was not different from the procedure taught in the training program.

I also find it surprising the entire auto recycling industry would continue to exist if insurance companies required vehicles to be repaired using only new parts and refused to pay for repairs using recycled parts.

If I’m wrong about the whether recycled components can be used to repair a vehicle, neat I learned something new today and am better informed for the next time I need to have a shop repair a vehicle and can challenge their operational methodology if necessary. However, this discussion has intrigued me, so I read the Toyota Techstream Collision Repair Guide For Our Cars and found absolutely no mention of part sourcing. Procedure for attaching parts during repair, yes, but no mention of whether the parts can be OEM recycled, OEM backstock/overstock, or aftermarket reproductions.

I’m also just having the “philosophical” thought: Is rebuilding a salvage vehicle in opposition to OEM procedures?
An undamaged and reused portion of a salvage rebuild is technically equivalent to an undamaged and reused component used to repair a clean title car. Both are structures from vehicles that were previously salvaged. If it is unacceptable in one instance, logically it should be unacceptable in the other as well, but isn’t, is it?
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
Tomm (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #18
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I’m not assuming the repair process is being altered, I am confused by the blanket statement that structural components can’t be reused even if they are installed according to the procedure outlined by the OEM for maintaining structural integrity.

I know from experience that as recently as 20 years ago (yes it may have changed in the intervening years) that at least one i-car collision repair training program included how to section salvage parts into a wrecked vehicle during a collision repair.

I read the link presented as evidence that shops must follow procedure or be liable, but the process the shop in the link followed was wildly different from the required procedure. Although, the required process was not different from the procedure taught in the training program.

I also find it surprising the entire auto recycling industry would continue to exist if insurance companies required vehicles to be repaired using only new parts and refused to pay for repairs using recycled parts.

If I’m wrong about the whether recycled components can be used to repair a vehicle, neat I learned something new today and am better informed for the next time I need to have a shop repair a vehicle and can challenge their operational methodology if necessary. However, this discussion has intrigued me, so I read the Toyota Techstream Collision Repair Guide For Our Cars and found absolutely no mention of part sourcing. Procedure for attaching parts during repair, yes, but no mention of whether the parts can be OEM recycled, OEM backstock/overstock, or aftermarket reproductions.

I’m also just having the “philosophical” thought: Is rebuilding a salvage vehicle in opposition to OEM procedures?
An undamaged and reused portion of a salvage rebuild is technically equivalent to an undamaged and reused component used to repair a clean title car. Both are structures from vehicles that were previously salvaged. If it is unacceptable in one instance, logically it should be unacceptable in the other as well, but isn’t, is it?
long and short of it is that you cannot follow any OEM quarter panel replacement procedure with a used panel. The panel will be damaged and drilled where you need to glue or spot weld, plus most modern cars now use a hem seem in the wheelhouse and that would have to be ground off of the wheelhouse where the structural adhesive is. just because shops do it does not mean you should, I would bet a lot of money there are a lot of shops in my area doing repairs on the same cars as we do and not doing them properly, this is something I take very seriously after doing many many re repairs that were done at the giant insurance backed chain shops.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evomike For This Useful Post:
Plumbus (01-06-2021), soundman98 (12-30-2020)