follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #2283
ThaBigUnit
Awesome Member!

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
No anger at all. It just reads that way. At least by people with anger in them transferring it to my written words.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #2284
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitcious View Post
The seats looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The seats do seem to be the best improvement, so long as they don't weigh a lot more. On paper the motor is a mild improvement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #2285
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not sure why they would show the redline at 7,400/7,500 but have the fuel cutoff at 7,000. I think terminology is just getting mixed up.

Right now I'm operating off the assumption that they mean the peak power comes in at 228@7,000 and fuel cutoff is around 7,400.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (11-18-2020), wbradley (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #2286
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow it looks great! Very happy with the new design. Interior and exterior upgrades are phenomenal. Definitely has the subtle Porche/Lexus influences and the little front lip and ducktail are nice additions. Also interested in weight, MPG, suspension and price. I can see why some people won’t like it and be disappointed in the lack of a turbo, but overall they kept the features that attracted buyers to the BRZ in the first place and made changes where needed. I was focused on the new Supra, but this may change my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
StE92ve (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #2287
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
Just watched the Redline Review! That isn’t my favorite car channel, but I’m not surprised he got one of the first up close looks at the 2nd gen. The little track drive looked really fun, and it sounded great.
So I’m 100% sure I’m going to wait and get a 2nd gen over a refreshed 1st gen. I think it looks fantastic, the 2.4 boxer provides more torque across the powerband, and you can still get a 6 speed. I’m so stoked for this car!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After I watched his review of the CTR never again. He said the hood scoop was there for cooling the engine bay, and he said it with a straight face like he knew what he was talking about. If he actually inspected the vehicle and opened the bonnet he'd know otherwise.

The dude is a phony that has no idea what he's talking about besides what he can find in a brochure, basically the Asian man version of supercar blonde.

Don't support POS channels.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-18-2020), Tcoat (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #2288
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Bigger engine, nice. A wee bit more power, nice. A wee bit more torque, nice. A more aggressive track mode, nice. 18inch wheels with decent rubber, nice.

Don't like the exterior... Too generic, rear lights look Korean Hyundai or something similar..

I will hold onto my series 1, nice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-18-2020), Hoahao (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #2289
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Going in, I thought I’d like the design but not be impressed by the mechanical changes. Instead I’m pretty satisfied with 228 hp/184 tq, lower CG and increased torsional rigidity. If anything, it’s the design (interior and exterior) that I don’t like.

I guess the good news about this being a joint project is there’s hope that Toyota did the design better.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
gymratter (11-18-2020), StE92ve (11-19-2020), Tokay444 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #2290
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBigUnit View Post

dumb stuff ...
Sounds mad as a box of frogs to me
Old 11-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #2291
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
After I watched his review of the CTR never again. He said the hood scoop was there for cooling the engine bay, and he said it with a straight face like he knew what he was talking about. If he actually inspected the vehicle and opened the bonnet he'd know otherwise.

The dude is a phony that has no idea what he's talking about besides what he can find in a brochure, basically the Asian man version of supercar blonde.

Don't support POS channels.
the guy's ok, hes a bit of a whiner though, and complains about stupid stuff (in his Toyota 86 GT review he complained about the lack of one touch 3 blink turn signal function, and he said the ride was Fiesta ST harsh...which i dont think any other reviewer said)

But he does go in depth into the details which i like.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #2292
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
The FR-S and 86 have always looked drastically better than the stupid smile of the BRZ. That shit reminds me of the Genpu Mazdaspeed3 every time I see it.
Again, very subjective. I was always one of few who liked the BRZ over the FR-S from the start. I'm going to miss the mustache
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
JD001 (11-18-2020), pope (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #2293
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
the guy's ok, hes a bit of a whiner though, and complains about stupid stuff (in his Toyota 86 GT review he complained about the lack of one touch 3 blink turn signal function, and he said the ride was Fiesta ST harsh...which i dont think any other reviewer said)

But he does go in depth into the details which i like.
He's a parrot, I wouldn't call any review he's done in depth. There are much, MUCH better channels. Go watch savagegeese or throttlehouse, these channels are actually decent.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #2294
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Car and Drivers brief look:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...TpQ13rVfnmlbqU

And Motor Trend:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/suba...7rIFLTwjwzTGw8

I am not a fan of the exterior design. Kind of reminds me of the transition from the previous version of the Eclipse to the last version (car, not SUV). Interior looks fine. I am hoping that the 86 will look better.

Last edited by Rampage; 11-18-2020 at 01:32 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rampage For This Useful Post:
StE92ve (11-19-2020), Th3rdSun (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #2295
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Car and Drivers brief look:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...TpQ13rVfnmlbqU

I am not a fan of the exterior design. Kind of reminds me of the transition from the previous version of the Eclipse to the last version (car, not SUV). Interior looks fine. I am hoping that the 86 will look better.
I don't think it's grossly offensive. I like what they did with the little baby supra ducktail. They removed that black plastic mouthguard on the BRZ, which I always thought was kind of weird. Also, I for one really like the interior styling. They kept a lot of the physical controls and the dual climate controls have a little nice dial you can rotate.

I'm just glad that we are getting an updated version of this car in general which seems to be an across-the-board upgrade that addresses its major problems, while enhancing its strengths. It's not a stupidly drastic change, but in this way the price can still stay affordable to the younger audience.

AND YET STILL, there are a few nihilistic old men who still find reasons to bitch and moan about it in every thread and every opportunity they get. (you know who I'm talking about) I remember three months ago when they kept saying the car was never going to be released, and when it was announced, they kept saying it was going to be heavier and more expensive. Now that it's here. It's still not enough for them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tanstin For This Useful Post:
ElijahF (11-18-2020), StE92ve (11-19-2020), Wally86 (11-18-2020), Will BRZ (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #2296
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Last night felt like Christmas Eve, finally we get all the info.

For better or worse it met my expectations. Engine, 2.4 NA which we saw coming, I'm happy they got 230hp out of it, not the 220. We all knew it would be somewhere between 220-240, so 230 was right around where I thought it would be. By my math, it needed this power bump to keep pace with its really true competitor the ND2.

Their emphasis on mentioning the torque increase to me just screams ok we heard enough about the damn torque dip, and it definitely looks like they corrected it. The power band looks linear, torque flat, I'm thinking this may finally be the endearing motor everyone wanted. Btw, is it me or does it sound pretty darn good.

Weight is will under 2900lbs, I think people were saying it's up like 80 or so pounds. Would've been impressed if they kept it at the current level or managed to shave some pounds off, but I can definitely live with that, more on this later. I expect that there won't be any surprises in the way this car feels, but it seems like they kept the recipe.

Exterior. The front bumper is quickly growing on me. Looking at the camo cars with the bigger mouth, I got accustomed to thinking it would look like a more aggressive late BRZ, but they eliminated the blacked out area, and when looking at the camo cars I can see where the actual grille matches the new car. When the BRZ first came out, one of my criticisms was that I hated the blacked out area, just a big expanse of fake grille opening, giving the car the look it's wearing a mouth piece, and I much preferred the FRS front bumper that seemed to handle it better. Over time though I've come to like the BRZ version more, it just had a more timeliness lines to my eye albeit with the blacked out area. This is a trend I really don't like but recognize is necessary with newer cars to fill the large expanses. So with that in mind I took a closer look at this new car, and what they did was flatten the front bumper and made all of the opening functional. As I watch more videos on it and seeing the actual shape of the front, I'm digging it more and more and realize the similarities to the current 86, but with cleaner lines. The first car I thought of when I saw it was the Kia Stinger and Porsche Panamera. The thing that's making me really like it is how it's lower overall, a throwback to cars of my youth like 240s and DC2s and such, so again, liking it more and more.

The fenders, they finally got rid of the upper faux vents which I really tried to love on these cars but just couldn't, just reminds me of all the 90s civics running around with Z3 vents. So, so glad they stuck a nicely sculpted, proportionate (looking at you previous gen 3 series), functional vent. What I wish it had more of though was more hip action, like a Z or S2000. One of my favorite design elements of a sports car is when you're looking at it from the front, seeing those fenders kick out over where the wheels are, and this is lacking that. I mean it's there, but not as pronounced as I'd like. But overall, great design.

Quarterpanels, nailed it, they didn't mess with the formula, has great hips, didn't over do it, very fitting for a car like this, zero complaints.

The rear end. Love it. To me, this is the biggest improvement, just refined all the way around. The tail pipes and the whole lower area looks more polished and upscale. The taillights no longer look like a 90s ricer dream. I always liked the shape of the current models, but the devil was definitely in the details that just cheapened the look of the car. This looks like a finished car.

I always hated the standard wheels of the current cars, these standard wheels look great.

Interior. Ok now this where I'm confused. In some photos and video, I see a dedicated cupholder between the console and shifter next to the ebrake, others I see nothing there. My biggest gripe about the current car's interior is the lack of a cover/armrest for the console, and a lack of a cupholder to put my keys in. So, if some of the photos are right, it looks like they fixed my two biggest gripes with the interior, they put a nice lid on the console, and added a cupholder next to the ebrake. I hope that holds up, it's absolutely necessary especially when you consider there's no storage tray ahead of the shifter or really anywhere else other than the cupholder in the door panel.

I prefer analog gauges, but I'm not going to be the old man yelling from my porch about the digital cluster, and frankly I hated the cluster on the original cars, the grey texture and surround they used made it look like it was for a truck and not a sportscar, just really cheapened the look of the car, and is one of the points of the car I look at most, so in that respect this is an improvement.

Center stack is whatever for me, cool bigger screen, cool it still has all the same stuff from the current car. I'm not sure if I like the new center ac vents more, but for those OCD people out there I do see that the seam around the center ac can be misaligned from car to car, something the previous gen with the hump hid better. I also see a ton of cheap plastic on the areas around the stereo and such, which is unfortunate given it's a visual and ergonomic high traffic area.

I do like the dash area on the passenger side. For all you aftermarket gauge junkies, that little hump will be a perfect spot to mount all sorts of things, but for me, and this is the old man talking, kinda wish they put in some sort of trays like the Rav4, would've made it look better and infinitely more practical. And for those that are yelling sportscar, you're also probably the types that gopro everything, so that would've been a perfect mounting point.

And the seats. I mean, cmon, all I worry about is how they feel, but I can already see all the poors breaking into my car to steal these seats, lol.

So overall, I'm happy they did what I hoped they would do, they pretty much took away all the cheapy stuff from the car- the fender vents, the altezza lights, the afterthought exhaust tips, adding a lid to the center console, fixed the gauge cluster, added a cupholder (maybe), better stock wheels, reduced amount of blacked out space. They added a noticeable power bump, which more importantly should translate to a more endearing motor, ala no more torque dip. And they appear to have done it without sacrificing too much weight and hopefully price.

Everything I've seen today tells me the price isn't going to change much if at all. The R&D was paid for, screens and tech are cheaper, engine is out of a mainstream vehicle, etc. Looking at the interior, there's still a ton of cost cutting there. The dash might as well be out of a Corolla, they didn't bother to even try to match the rear seats to the front, etc.

So this is a new engine, which always come with concerns regarding new engine bugs, imo I doubt it will. This isn't a completely new engine, but an evolved existing engine, with all the lessons learned applied to it (hopefully). I can't imagine Subaru saying yeah well that valve spring recall hurt, let's do that again. By all accounts, the FA24 seems to be holding up well, granted it took 7 years for the valve spring recall to happen.

Now I just gotta see how the Toyota version looks, and I can't wait for all the technical breakdown videos once the tuner channels get a hold of it. I'm crossing my fingers that they came up with a better solution to access the spark plugs, and hoping that the internals are beefy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheDonEffect For This Useful Post:
Baldeagle (11-18-2020), Bluefire98 (11-18-2020), Dadhawk (11-18-2020), StE92ve (11-19-2020), Tanstin (11-18-2020), Wally86 (11-18-2020), Will BRZ (11-18-2020)

Closed Thread

Tags
#still slow, fake news