follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Custom Brake Ducting.

Has anyone ever done their own custom brake ducting? I've done my own custom air intake ducting, and am thinking of doing the same for my brakes. Anyone else thinking of doing this?

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily

Last edited by Asterisked Accolade; 06-24-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Asterisked Accolade For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
NoVtec

Drives: FR-S
I am also planning on doing this!
Asterisked Accolade (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
taosracer
Frickin' Genius

Drives: GBS BRZ 6sp, 2002 ts wagon WRX swap
Yep, I fabbed brake ducts for my WRX, but kind of doubt that the BRZ will need them unless it gets a lot faster or a lot heavier.

On the WRX I used molded ducts from racer parts wholesale in the fog light openings and 3" ducting from aircraft spruce with some nifty parts for RV waste drains to direct the air at the brakes. Worked great

I hear on occasion, people say that they are bored...wrong answer....An engine can be bored, a person would more correctly state that they are boring.
taosracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I plan on doing this to my FR-S. I tried it on my Camaro I had but had clearance issues with 3" hose and the wide wheels - Camaro really didn't need it anyways brakes were fine and I could go full stop with them no problem (other than it could actually STOP way to fast, and you literally could come to a stop at a turn if not paying attention!) For the FR-S I will have block-off plates for the ducting as well, for the majority of time when not used on track. FR-S definitely feels like it needs more brakes on track to me - mainly a better pad compound (Hawk HP+ would be my) with cooling would give me the confidence to brake harder on track and not worry about any fading issues.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosracer View Post
Yep, I fabbed brake ducts for my WRX, but kind of doubt that the BRZ will need them unless it gets a lot faster or a lot heavier.

On the WRX I used molded ducts from racer parts wholesale in the fog light openings and 3" ducting from aircraft spruce with some nifty parts for RV waste drains to direct the air at the brakes. Worked great
There was a thread recently of a forum member taking his FRS around Tsukuba circuit. The brakes kind of shredded and he had to replace them with a large Big Brake Kit. So, perhaps the stock brakes don't do well with extreme tracking?

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Floggin Tires

Drives: ZC6, Junk of ALL sorts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11041
Floggin Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Phil from Element Tuning has run his FR-S In Time Attack events with much larger wheels and had no brake issues. Plenty of others have also run the cars on the track and I haven't read about any brake issues.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
I plan on doing this to my FR-S. I tried it on my Camaro I had but had clearance issues with 3" hose and the wide wheels - Camaro really didn't need it anyways brakes were fine and I could go full stop with them no problem (other than it could actually STOP way to fast, and you literally could come to a stop at a turn if not paying attention!) For the FR-S I will have block-off plates for the ducting as well, for the majority of time when not used on track. FR-S definitely feels like it needs more brakes on track to me - mainly a better pad compound (Hawk HP+ would be my) with cooling would give me the confidence to brake harder on track and not worry about any fading issues.
ducting like this is going to have no effect on single stop times, distances and street driving pedal feel. its more or less trying to prevent fade over the course of performance driving resulting from temps far above what you would see in the situations you mentioned. compound, fluids, lines and tires are more than enough for the majority of people even in a racing environment
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Although they may not be as effective, deflectors are an easy mod. But im unsure of fitments. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_1102wt_1257
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
ducting like this is going to have no effect on single stop times, distances and street driving pedal feel. its more or less trying to prevent fade over the course of performance driving resulting from temps far above what you would see in the situations you mentioned. compound, fluids, lines and tires are more than enough for the majority of people even in a racing environment
Well said. Even autocrossing, this won't be necessary. Should only be explored after extended track use with the standard treatments shows fade.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #11
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post
There was a thread recently of a forum member taking his FRS around Tsukuba circuit. The brakes kind of shredded and he had to replace them with a large Big Brake Kit. So, perhaps the stock brakes don't do well with extreme tracking?
noooooo. The stock PADS don't do well with extreme tracking. The stock brake rotor size is more than big enough for the power and weight of a brz on track.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
Asterisked Accolade (07-09-2012), rice_classic (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I spoke with derek at rexpeed and he said they are working on some cf ducts.
Asterisked Accolade (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
Ducting is for trying to keep the pads from exceeding their operational temperature range (via cooling down the rotors.) It also helps provide some temperature relief for the wheel bearings and wheels as well (ever touch the wheels after coming off of a track session...HOT!). I'd like to keep my wheel bearings from getting any warmer than they need to be - which is actually one of my main reasons for going with ducting as well (anything to help bleed off heat from the spindle assembly is welcome.) I noticed a change in the FR-S braking behavior during the first run session tracking it and I was only pushing about 90%... so until I get ducting I'm going to take it 'easy' and not brake 100% on track. I like systems that are MORE than adequate for track use, not just barely adequate for track use... All the FR-S needs for track duty brake system upgrades is cooling and a better pad compound - stock fluid held up fine at 90% braking (didn't even need to bleed it at all and I ran 5 sessions ~ 1 hour apart), would probably get a 'known' temperature range brake fluid for 100% braking on track though...

As I mentioned in my first post as well, I would make bumper blockoff plates for the ducting system for use on the street...
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote