follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
deedz

Drives: Rocket Bunny FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A few problems...but how bad are they?

So I've had my FR-S for a little over 2 months now and I've been experiencing a few issues that dont seem too big of a deal ( in my opinion) but they could be worse than I really think.

First, im experiencing the idle issue where my car drops to 400-500 rpm and then jumps back up before it stalls.

My car has actually stalled or the engine simply turned off WHILE I was moving. I was coasting at about 20-30 mph in neutral and when I tried to accelerate, I realized my car was off and I would have to restart it which happened twice. This worries me a bit more.

I also have issues starting the car once in a while. I've tried starting the car and turned the ignition on and it would take a few seconds for the car to start rather than the normal quick start up. It would choke for a while and after a few seconds it finally stars. This has happend a couple/few times.

Anyone else experiencing these problems or have any advice/tips for me?
I know the idle issue is common and I also read that some people are being compensated for some issues?

Only mod I have is an Injen Intake.
deedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
rapidcars

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The rpm dip/stalling resulted in my CEL coming on shortly after. Could also be a sign that the intake wasn't installed properly.
rapidcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
governor

Drives: 2013 FR-S Navy Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedzman View Post
So I've had my FR-S for a little over 2 months now and I've been experiencing a few issues that dont seem too big of a deal ( in my opinion) but they could be worse than I really think.

First, im experiencing the idle issue where my car drops to 400-500 rpm and then jumps back up before it stalls.

My car has actually stalled or the engine simply turned off WHILE I was moving. I was coasting at about 20-30 mph in neutral and when I tried to accelerate, I realized my car was off and I would have to restart it which happened twice. This worries me a bit more.

I also have issues starting the car once in a while. I've tried starting the car and turned the ignition on and it would take a few seconds for the car to start rather than the normal quick start up. It would choke for a while and after a few seconds it finally stars. This has happend a couple/few times.

I know the idle issue is common and I also read that some people are being compensated for some issues?

Get it looked at. Anyone can speculate the problem on the forum, only real live people that are trained can diagnose and fix your problem. Start with your aftermarket piece and after ruling it out get your car into a dealership.
governor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
deedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcars View Post
The rpm dip/stalling resulted in my CEL coming on shortly after. Could also be a sign that the intake wasn't installed properly.
I actually had the idle dipping before the intake but not sure if the stall was before or after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by governor View Post
Get it looked at. Anyone can speculate the problem on the forum, only real live people that are trained can diagnose and fix your problem. Start with your aftermarket piece and after ruling it out get your car into a dealership.
Ill probably bring it into a dealer but not sure if they are gonna make a fuss about an aftermarket intake and void my warranty...
Old 09-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
itsibarra

Drives: Supercharged Car
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

I have this exact same problem and i too just installed my Injen intake.
itsibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
deedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsibarra View Post
I have this exact same problem and i too just installed my Injen intake.
Your car turned off while coasting as well as the starting issue?!
The Following User Says Thank You to deedz For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
The car turning off while coasting with the clutch in is definitely an intake issue. I have seen this in other cars as well. The tubing and filter are not giving the MAF a good reading under those conditions confusing the ECU.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
deedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
The car turning off while coasting with the clutch in is definitely an intake issue. I have seen this in other cars as well. The tubing and filter are not giving the MAF a good reading under those conditions confusing the ECU.
Would it most likely be installer error? or is it just because the ECU is not flashed to know the intake is there?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
itsibarra

Drives: Supercharged Car
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Your car turned off while coasting as well as the starting issue?!
My car will stall right before coming to a stop when coasting in neutral, or braking at low speeds (speed bumps, bumper to bumper traffic, etc..) when in 2nd or 1st gear. I constantly watch my rpm's and can see it shutoff when the rpm's reach about 500 to 400. Sometimes the car shakes as if it were going to stall, but will bump the needle back up to 800/600 rpms keeping it going.

As far as startup, the engine turns over normally, but in hot weather it'll shutoff at almost every stop i come to and then have weird prolonged starts.

I believe it is the MAF sensor and the tubing or filter is messing with the airflow, giving the ecu incorrect readings.. I've had my car for a little over 2 months now and just swapped to the injen intake a week in a half ago. No problems prior to the install, so i will probably go back to stock, even though the intake does make the car sound a little nicer.
itsibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
deedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsibarra View Post
My car will stall right before coming to a stop when coasting in neutral, or braking at low speeds (speed bumps, bumper to bumper traffic, etc..) when in 2nd or 1st gear. I constantly watch my rpm's and can see it shutoff when the rpm's reach about 500 to 400. Sometimes the car shakes as if it were going to stall, but will bump the needle back up to 800/600 rpms keeping it going.

As far as startup, the engine turns over normally, but in hot weather it'll shutoff at almost every stop i come to and then have weird prolonged starts.

I believe it is the MAF sensor and the tubing or filter is messing with the airflow, giving the ecu incorrect readings.. I've had my car for a little over 2 months now and just swapped to the injen intake a week in a half ago. No problems prior to the install, so i will probably go back to stock, even though the intake does make the car sound a little nicer.
Damn I only had engine cut off twice but yours seems a bit more severe. Wonder if there are any solutions for these intake problems, its goin to be a PITA to re install stock.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What kind of gas are you using?

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #12
deedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
What kind of gas are you using?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
ozne99

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Any potential solutions to this? I've been encountering the same issue. Reseted my ECU several times and etc. I am going to go back to stock because the engine cut off is pretty damn annoying.
ozne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedz View Post
Would it most likely be installer error? or is it just because the ECU is not flashed to know the intake is there?
The ECU is not prepared for the turbulent air that is being created by the intake while coasting. Then when the RPM drops it is not able to hold it at idle. No amount of ECU resetting will fix this. Either keep a little throttle to keep it from stalling, get an ECU tune, find a way to modify the intake to straighten the air, or put the stock airbox back in.