follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
OatMilked

Drives: Scion tC 09
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Thinking of getting a 2020 Toyota GT86...

Recently my Scion tC 09 saw an engine problem. I bought the car at about 60,000 miles, its almost 69,000 now. I will have owned the car 2 years sometime mid this month.
My engine got a knock in it this past thanksgiving. More than likely from low oil, just being honest. Since I got the car if I drove respectably and kept the RPM's low, accelerating-wise, my oil changes would last as long as they should.
If I started gassing it around like I tend to do, as Im late for everything my oil light would come on and by the time the Maintenance would come on for the next oil change I would have put an oil change worth of oil in the car.

I have been without a car for a long time due to a lot of life issues. Riding a bike for a very long time. I got that car, loved it to hell and back. So much fun to just drive around. But now its sitting in the driveaway collecting pollen. Im tired of dealing with used cars (i know not keeping up with oil wont change anything...) so im thinking of putting the money I have now been saving down on a new from factory built 2020 Toyota GT 86 as I have found out it is the successor.

I bought my Scion tC 09 for about $6,000 used. 60K miles, came with a borla exhaust.

The shop in town has a warehouse of used engines from japan, or china I guess of the exact same motor at 60K miles.
$1200 for the motor, all in all replacement = $4200.

I have now saved over double that and im thinking get a brand new car, 0 miles.

Im not asking for advice if thats not allowed here. Im just saying I just put new tires on the thing, the junkyard will give me $800 for it. I cant have two of my own cars on this property. there will be 5 cars in a two car driveaway.

Looking at specs Ive noticed the 2020 86 GT has more horsepower and I thought my Scion was so fast. Noticed the torque is low relatively.

I test drove it yesterday, super fun, thoroughly enjoyed it. But it'd be a shame to get a brand new car and it pulls of slower. Ill say this when I test drove it with the Salesman, I pulled on the interstate and was getting up to speed real quick and I did not notice for a good minute I was doing 75. Did not notice at all that I got there that quick.

Sorry for the text wall, but just wondering what yall think. Last August I got my first chance at real career out of college. Making a little over 40K a year, then last month a promotion. I work for the state so I feel I can take on this new car ordeal

Thanks so much for everyones time, I just dont feel its worth it to put almost what I bought the car for back into it, I mean wouldnt the same engine at the same mileage I bought car potentially have the same problems, thats what really pushed me towards new as well.
OatMilked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,041 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Wait until fall, the new 2021/2022 model will have a much better powerband when it releases. We should have release date info by then for certain

I have to say, a new car will not tolerate low oil any better than a used one; I'd be more cognizant of your maintenance opportunities on the next vehicle you get
2020 model is still great, I would wait to see what the next generation brings. If you like 2020 model year better, you can probably get a better deal in fall
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
OatMilked

Just a note on the new model coming out, more power does sound dope. I figured at best in a year or something I could do some kind of trade-in with the new 2020 86 right? or is that not feasible, would be kinda weird. i dunno how that works. I guess I could also fix the thing and save for a new car next fall but shit. Ive had enough for the repairs for over a month now.
I mean i could put the 4200 in for the fix, and get some of that back using it as a trade in for the new 86 later this year. But if something else breaks on this such as transmission or whathaveyou, phewwww man. I dont know what i'll do.

(but..I dont have car at all right now. I work from home. I leave my house to go to my second job once a week. I walk up to the gas station every other day. Im struggling bro, for real. I havent had a car since Thanksgiving, i have barely done anything but those two things since then. I dont want to go without a car much longer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Wait until fall, the new 2021/2022 model will have a much better powerband when it releases. We should have release date info by then for certain

I have to say, a new car will not tolerate low oil any better than a used one; I'd be more cognizant of your maintenance opportunities on the next vehicle you get
2020 model is still great, I would wait to see what the next generation brings. If you like 2020 model year better, you can probably get a better deal in fall

Last edited by OatMilked; 03-01-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,132 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
sounds like you're a bit young/inexperienced (or china comment lol...all scion were MIJ)/just starting to make money...most of us have been there. You need to decide what is most important to you.

Hopefully you're looking at the twins for the right reason as you already mentioned how you think brand new car pulls slower.. the tC has a larger displacement engine and slightly more torque so with the twins you're supposed to drive over 5 K RPMs if you want to properly enjoy the power...still, both the tC and twins have quite low power so maybe you should open your horizons up a little so you can experience real torque from american muscle (or even Civic Si/Sport & GTI/GLI) before you decide on a twin.

If you get a 2020 86/BRZ only to keep it for a short while and trade it in on a 2nd gen 86/BRZ, you're just throwing money out. Cool if you really don't care and have nothing else to spend it on. But considering how little ya drive doesn't really sound like the best thing to grab another car now unless again you have nothing else to spend/save for. Much cheaper not to get insurance/registration/whatever else and do ride sharing stuff.

If I was in your shoes, I would save money and wait until 2nd gen. I doubt 2nd gen twin will be "much faster" or really better in any way, should just be an incrementally upgraded car but either way it should lower 1st gen prices especially for any leftover ones the dealer might have when the 2nd gen comes out and there's going to be plenty of used 1st gen twins. And yep as mentioned learn proper maintenance especially if you get a twin, they make it so easy to do oil changes and for the user to properly check all their fluids..

Last edited by HKz; 03-01-2021 at 02:24 PM.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
OatMilked

I dont have to much to add more so just me complaining probably,
but I dunno whats considered a lot of driving but I used to every day go to the skatepark after work. On my days off I might hit up a skatepark not to far away, 30 minute drive or so, have my dog with me, then hit up the local nature trail by the water, and just chill there all day.
I mean if you average 9000 miles over 18 months or so thats 500 a month.
I know when i first got it, I was avg. roughly 1000 miles a month.

But the real thing is like I just dropped most of my entire freetime/life off when my car hit the shit. Now Im just sitting at home. And Frankly its a bummer. This is the only thing I have to save for, besides a house or something, but I also dont want to live here forever and with a new job Im just gonna take that slow ya know.
Also I dont think the shop that quoted me even looked at anything, they even were relieved when I said i was gonna come tow it home. They were like good idea, put that down on something else. They sounded like they didnt want to do the work cause I guess you have to lift the car off the engine and it'll be on the ground to work with. The only thing they ever said when they first called me back was, you need a new engine buddy.

Either way Im gonna get another look over from my dads mechanic buddy if possible, he thinks I might have thrown an actuator bolt? or a rod? something that doesnt require a new engine?

But then still, I could fix it and trade it into the dealership once the new 86 drops...Im going to get a trade in quote on that in the meantime, and see if thats quoted more than whats it worth to fix. Thanks again for looking at my rambles. I appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
sounds like you're a bit young/inexperienced (or china comment lol...all scion were MIJ)/just starting to make money...most of us have been there. You need to decide what is most important to you.

Hopefully you're looking at the twins for the right reason as you already mentioned how you think brand new car pulls slower.. the tC has a larger displacement engine and slightly more torque so with the twins you're supposed to drive over 5 K RPMs if you want to properly enjoy the power...still, both the tC and twins have quite low power so maybe you should open your horizons up a little so you can experience real torque from american muscle (or even Civic Si/Sport & GTI/GLI) before you decide on a twin.

If you get a 2020 86/BRZ only to keep it for a short while and trade it in on a 2nd gen 86/BRZ, you're just throwing money out. Cool if you really don't care and have nothing else to spend it on. But considering how little ya drive doesn't really sound like the best thing to grab another car now unless again you have nothing else to spend/save for. Much cheaper not to get insurance/registration/whatever else and do ride sharing stuff.

If I was in your shoes, I would save money and wait until 2nd gen. I doubt 2nd gen twin will be "much faster" or really better in any way, should just be an incrementally upgraded car but either way it should lower 1st gen prices especially for any leftover ones the dealer might have when the 2nd gen comes out and there's going to be plenty of used 1st gen twins. And yep as mentioned learn proper maintenance especially if you get a twin, they make it so easy to do oil changes and for the user to properly check all their fluids..
Old 03-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I wouldn't spend big money on a twin. Get a nice used one 2014 up for the low. Hop on facebook, guys are always selling.

If want to spend the money then just wait for the newer one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joveen For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (03-01-2021), Dadhawk (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatMilked View Post
...I have been without a car for a long time due to a lot of life issues. Riding a bike for a very long time...
been there, done that. drove a car that leaked transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and oil everywhere it went. changed fluids half as often as i needed to, they leaked out faster than they wore out. it was also a convertible, so the top leaked anytime it rained. and then the recession in 2007-2009 hit, i lost my first full time job, and had to sell it to pay off part of some credit card debt i racked up trying to keep a job that suddenly no longer existed.

i drove my parents spare vehicle for the next 2 years while i got my feet back under me. i started out with a $10k used car after that, specifically financing it to boost my credit score for the future.

new cars are nice. but 1-5 year old used cars are better. while there's sometimes less options to choose from, picking carefully gets you the same reliability of a new car, but at a discount.
humfrz (03-03-2021), Wally86 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #8
CrazyOkie

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT "Taka"
I'm preparing to buy a 2020 myself, as a second car for fun. Maxing out an 86 GT with the TRD performance options. Yeah, I know there are better third party options but these are sufficient for me.

Yes, I could wait for the next gen. The new BRZ looks good and the horsepower is a decent boost (pun intended).

BUT, I love the look and the handling of the current gen. The 2020 feels like the best expression of that. I'm not going to be tracking the vehicle, so the available power and the more than capable handling is plenty for me. I can add a turbo later if I really feel I need it, but I don't think I will.
CrazyOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:20 PM   #9
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
My newest car, up until last July when I bought my 2020 BRZ, was a 2008 Land Rover. I had never owned a newer vehicle than 10 years old. I can say, if you’re in a place now financially to support a car payment and still have a savings, do it.

The feeling of not having to worry about starting issues, oil leaks, transmission noise, etc, is liberating.

Your OCD will go into overdrive with a new vehicle; trying to keep everything immaculate. If you like the new 2022 - go for it! Personally I think it is quite ugly, but the engine does seem decent and with some bolt-ons and a tune, it could be real sweet.
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86xz View Post
Hi everyone! I was a crazy fan of gasoline cars until I tried electric driving for several months in city mode. Instead of WRZ, I prefered Ford Focus electric for myself and forgot what oil consumption and engine problems are. It was amazing to me.
Yes. Bot's would prefer electric cars.
soundman98 (03-16-2021), x808drifter (03-15-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #11
CrazyOkie

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT "Taka"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatMilked View Post

I test drove it yesterday, super fun, thoroughly enjoyed it. But it'd be a shame to get a brand new car and it pulls of slower. Ill say this when I test drove it with the Salesman, I pulled on the interstate and was getting up to speed real quick and I did not notice for a good minute I was doing 75. Did not notice at all that I got there that quick.
So I bought mine a month ago. Love it even more now. If pulling off fast is what you want, this is not the car for you. You will not win any drag races. I'm not even sure the newer model will solve that issue. Heck, there are basic sedans and even SUVs that are likely faster in a straight line. This car is MADE for curves (or twistys, if you prefer). An absolute blast to drive. And as you noted - it's easy to get up to a really good speed without realizing how fast you're moving. I've been really careful to keep my RPM under 4000 during the break-in period, as Toyota recommends. Last week I was driving home and realized I was doing 85 and the car was cruising under 2500 RPM
CrazyOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrazyOkie For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (04-02-2021), Hoahao (04-05-2021), Tcoat (04-02-2021)

Tags
2020, knock, scion, scion tc 09, toyota 86