follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Not seeing the gain I expected. :-( What's going on?? **solved**

To avoid wasting anyone's time, I copy post 18 in here:

Quote:
Guys, I must admit I this thread was a mistake. Thank you for all your input. I apologize much for wasting your time!

I didn't do my due diligence and jumped to conclusions. I relied on memory and didn't load up all my old logs. I used one perhaps too optimistic log as a reference.

Anyway, loading up a bunch of logs, sorting and discarding based on shape and deviating number in either direction I came up with this. Admittedly it's biased towards the better numbers - but hey that what the pros do too

So in reality, I may be around 175-177 hp now vs. 168-170 before. More important than the actual number, this gap is present in the whole curve now.
---------------------- Original post----------------
I did 4 pulls today on as perfect flat road as they get - 2 in each direction.

I loaded the logs with Virtual Dyno, compensating for IAT and ambient pressure as read out from the logs at 4000 rpm. Compensated for wheel size (own measurement) to compare with my old logs (winter wheels).

So here are the results:
- Red, blue, dark green, yellow (first 4, are todays pulls). This is with a Gruppe S header and Wayno's most recent stg 2 tune and OFH timing.

The light green:
- A bit unreliable from when everything (incl tune) was stock but the best I have and fairly similar shape and number as an actual real life dyno pull I had made during a dyno day.

Here is the bummer:
- The purple pull is one of Wayno's most recent stg 1 tunes, with some extra timing. I don't think that it's more power than some of todays pulls as virtual dyno suggests. But just the fact that it appears to be in the same ball park I find truly disappointing.

I was expecting a 10 hp gain from installing the header. While the 4000 rpm torque dip improvement is nice, I'm not sure I think it can be right?

Butt dyno says there is more power obviously especially in the torque dip. But now I am starting to doubt if the rest perceived improvement is placebo? I'm a man of science, I tend to believe more in number than feelings.

Don't know if it's screwing up because of the wheel sizes? The old pulls where with AD08Rs in 225x40R18... Todays pulls with stock Primacys 215x45R17.

I'm close to putting the AD08Rs on to see if it makes a difference, though it might not be the best idea with temperatures below freezing at the moment.

If these are indeed true numbers, the header is being put up for sale!

Edit:
Here are the logs in datazap (3 logs):
http://datazap.me/u/tor/ft86club

No IAM drops in play or otherwise strange.

As mentioned IAT taken from 4000 rpm and pressure from an average of the highest and lowest in the logs, wheel sizes 24.88 for the old pulls, 24.6 for todays pulls. 2769 lbs weight for the car and 165 for the driver.

Last edited by Tor; 01-22-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Just go FI lmao
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Just go FI lmao
I can't... Living in Germany. It's fucking monopoly here.

There are only 2 legal kits. A turbo and HKS, and they can only be installed by one of the 2 companies that provide them respectively. Naturally they charge a shitload of money. Converted 8000$+. No fucking way I am going to spend that much money on a car that's worth 15-20000$.

Then I'd rather buy a Porsche.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
Bowen (01-21-2017), go_a_way1 (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
What about engine swap?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
What about engine swap?
Technically I'm not even allowed to swap the header.

But a header I can swap back in 30 mins every 2 years when the car has to get it's mandatory TÜV inspection.

I'm not quite sure about the orgins, but I think they introduced TÜV in the 1940'es.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
So stock was 156 hp/170 Nm, and pull 4 was 175 hp/190 Nm with a catless UEL header and tune. You gained 19 hp/20 Nm overall, and a lot more area under the curves. I'm not sure I understand the problem. Most UEL headers and tunes will get you in the 175-185 range. If you want to push 200 hp you need one of the nicer EL headers such as PTuning or ACE. Or go with E85, but I don't know how feasible that is where you are.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
I can't... Living in Germany. It's fucking monopoly here.

There are only 2 legal kits. A turbo and HKS, and they can only be installed by one of the 2 companies that provide them respectively. Naturally they charge a shitload of money. Converted 8000$+. No fucking way I am going to spend that much money on a car that's worth 15-20000$.

Then I'd rather buy a Porsche.

awe shit. Well that blows (kinda sorta pun there)
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
elBarto

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Technically I'm not even allowed to swap the header.

But a header I can swap back in 30 mins every 2 years when the car has to get it's mandatory TÜV inspection.
I don't know how they do a smog test in Germany, but in Belgium I passed the smog test with an OpenFlash UEL Header installed. Compleet exhaust-setup was OFH UEL, Milltek overpipe, OEM Frontpipe, Milltek CBE (the non EC version ). Passed without any problem
You can also use E85 to lower your emissions if necessary and E85 gives you a nice bump in power also.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
So stock was 156 hp/170 Nm, and pull 4 was 175 hp/190 Nm with a catless UEL header and tune. You gained 19 hp/20 Nm overall, and a lot more area under the curves. I'm not sure I understand the problem.
The problem is that without the catless header and just a tune I got 170-172 hp (the one used here is not a fluke, all my previous pulls on flat road was in that ballpark).

Sure there is under the curve improvements but only below 5000 rpm. I track the car, I was hoping to see improvement on the top as well.

I was hoping someone would post that Virtual Dyno is shit, but seeing the consistency between pulls I don't believe it can be discounted totally.

I don't want it to sound like I am bitching. Rather, I just don't get it! I run 5 deg more timing up top. What's wrong here??

Also, I am not bitching about the tunes. Rather I'm surprised how good and sorted Wayno's most recent stg 1is. If it outputs similar numbers at the top with 5 degs less timing that's truly astonishing.

The gained torque in the dip is nice, but I'm not sure I'm going to bother putting it back on next time I have to take it off for TÜV inspection.

Quote:
Most UEL headers and tunes will get you in the 175-185 range. If you want to push 200 hp you need one of the nicer EL headers such as PTuning or ACE. Or go with E85, but I don't know how feasible that is where you are.
Exactly, I was expecting to see 185 hp. Since the Gruppe S/Tomei header supposedly is regarded as one of the better UEL headers. That's why choose that.

I seriously doubt the 200 hp claim of the Ace headers. That's nice marketing from CSG. Probably they are max 190. 5 hp more wasn't worth more than double the price for me.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'll buy your headers then...
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #11
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydoo View Post
I'll buy your headers then...
Well I will only be selling one header. And because people here are scared of ordering overseas I could probably sell it with a profit even after using it a year until the next time the car needs inspection and I have to take it off.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elBarto View Post
I don't know how they do a smog test in Germany, but in Belgium I passed the smog test with an OpenFlash UEL Header installed. Compleet exhaust-setup was OFH UEL, Milltek overpipe, OEM Frontpipe, Milltek CBE (the non EC version ). Passed without any problem
You can also use E85 to lower your emissions if necessary and E85 gives you a nice bump in power also.
It's not just a smog test. They look at the vehicle too and I wouldn't want to risk going there with the header installed and praying they don't notice. They are nuts here, driving without a cat is considered tax evasion, since you pay a yearly tax fee to have the car registered based on emissions.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well I will only be selling one header. .
Oh dear, your German is dominating your application of English.
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #14
elBarto

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
It's not just a smog test. They look at the vehicle too and I wouldn't want to risk going there with the header installed and praying they don't notice. They are nuts here, driving without a cat is considered tax evasion, since you pay a yearly tax fee to have the car registered based on emissions.
In Belgium it's the same. It's illegal to remove any cats, only a CE approved CBE is allowed. But the header isn't visible from underneath the car and if you have a stock (looking) enginebay you don't see it from above also. The soundpipe blocks the view a little bit. With my car they only looked to see of the engine was in the enginebay :p . Guess I was lucky. But then again here are inspectors who try to smog test a Nissan Leaf.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Xperia L met Tapatalk

Last edited by elBarto; 01-21-2017 at 06:06 PM.
elBarto is offline   Reply With Quote