follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT - In Heaven Now
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Tomei Header

So, what is involved in replacing (some parts here) with the Tomei UEL? I would assume that I'm not qualified to install, so in addition, what kind of time does it take to complete? If I know that, I can ballpark the cost of having someone do it!

Thanks!

All we know is.... He's called The Stig
FNCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNCrazy View Post
So, what is involved in replacing (some parts here) with the Tomei UEL? I would assume that I'm not qualified to install, so in addition, what kind of time does it take to complete? If I know that, I can ballpark the cost of having someone do it!

Thanks!

Did mine in an hour on stands.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
Cole (07-30-2016), SlammedSilly (08-02-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
^ Tomei kits come with everything you need, gaskets a heat shield mat and a tube of anti-seize. You should not have to pay for more than 1.5 hr labor.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Anyone know a vendor or source with some of the best deals on it? PM me if you don't want to offend any vendors. I'm going to look around online, but as far as the PM'ing a vendor, waiting for response, etc. etc., I don't really have the time to do that if I want them installed while the car is torn apart.

I'll look around, and even search through and see which vendors carry it, pm them for their "special forum pricing," but unless they answer soon, I'll either have to go with an online place or lose money by not having the install thrown in to the price of the rebuild.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
FT-86SF has it for $690 with free shipping. A quick look through the vendor classifieds says it'll be pretty difficult to beat that. Plus they put candy in the box before they send it. So really, you're buying candy and getting a header for free.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/tome...ader-1686.html
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-30-2016), Teseo (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
FT-86SF has it for $690 with free shipping. A quick look through the vendor classifieds says it'll be pretty difficult to beat that. Plus they put candy in the box before they send it. So really, you're buying candy and getting a header for free.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/tome...ader-1686.html
Oooh, candy. I have something else I need to buy from them. Instead of saving on shipping, I'll order separately for more candy!

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Oooh, candy. I have something else I need to buy from them. Instead of saving on shipping, I'll order separately for more candy!

Thanks!
Plans for tuning? A catless UEL header without a tune is loud, but not especially effective.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Dyno, Ecutek tuning, custom map. But wait.... *How* loud?

Old 07-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Dyno, Ecutek tuning, custom map. But wait.... *How* loud?

You need to watch some videos in the exhaust forum stickies. Taking out the front cat will make it a little smellier at times, more raspy-sounding, and significantly louder. Combined with the UEL pipes gives it the traditional Subaru rumble. A number of people who had loud exhausts (e.g., Invidia N1, Tomei Type 60 or 80, Berk straight pipe) have ended up trading them for something quieter (e.g., Invidia Q300, Perrin 2.5" resonated) because the combination of the loud catback and the catless header ended up being excessively loud and obnoxious. Some people love it; others hate it. It's best to go into the purchase with an idea of what it'll sound like beforehand.

Make sure your tuner turns off the P0420 code and gets rid of the cold start cat warm-up period. Without the front cat, you won't need it, so it'll just be loud and raw and wake your neighbors up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-30-2016), Teseo (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Thanks!

dude....literally. why are you so lazy to search! you know there are plenty of YouTube videos that show how to install headers and theres even a diy thread on here too for that. people like you who don't search and recreate threads should be banned.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. BRZ For This Useful Post:
calmtigers (07-30-2016), FNCrazy (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #11
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
dude....literally. why are you so lazy to search! you know there are plenty of YouTube videos that show how to install headers and theres even a diy thread on here too for that. people like you who don't search and recreate threads should be banned.
Wow! A little over the top aren't we? What makes you think I know there are YouTube videos of this header?? Especially on an otherwise stock frs?? I knew exhaust videos were there of course, but most people who have this header have aftermarket exhaust. How do I hear only the header in those videos again? But, you're right, it didn't occur to me, probably because of all that I would suspect. But nah, some random Internet troll decides some other random member must know I knew all about this and I'm just fucking lazy, making sheriff brz come in and straighten out this forum member,as is his fucking job, policing everyone else while being a prick about it.

And what makes you think I know there's a diy article??

And of course I searched. The main point of this thread was to see what kind of man hours (you know, to pay a shop?) it would take to install. So tell me please, how a DIY thread is going to help me when there's little chance I'll do it myself??

Again, I searched. You say this is a duplicate. Feel free to search yourself and show me the thread I missed that told shop hours for install of this product. I will then apologize and hopefully learn from the master of search.

Again, lazy?? Should be banned for not finding a thread that may or may not exist? Wow. Is someone having a rough day?

Peace

Last edited by FNCrazy; 07-30-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Anyway, even if every single thing you said was true, why decide to be an asshole? I mean, a possible duplicate thread??? Oh my God! We've only got, what, 13 more available threads before we run out??

Why does one get so pissed about a possible double thread that he feels himself important enough to call for the BANNING of another member? Wow, anger issues much? Instead, how about you fuck off? Twice. Then, don't read my threads at all, and if your panties are really in that much of a twist, go to your control panel and ignore me. I'm sure by the time your ranting here is over, I'll certainly have blocked your dumb ass. I hate people that think they're all badass and take out aggression on Internet people because you're nice and anonymous and safe, instead of addressing your anger and bullying problems in real life.

Get help man, seriously, this is no way to live.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #13
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
message @Gruppe-s on the forums. their headers are basically the same as Tomei's and it only costs $475 (plus shipping). I would also get the overpipe since you're down there anyways and it's cheap as well. you also want the heat shield addon.

here is their thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81839

EDIT: also, you will definitely want a tune after getting the header. the cheapest and easiest option in my opinion is to buy a used OFT (for around $400 on these forums) and load a stage 2 tune. you don't need anything else aside from the tablet and a computer to update the tablet and load tunes to. for EcuTek, you will need to pay almost twice as much though it makes sense if you are going a specialty route such as E85 or FI but if you are staying NA with just an UEL header, then OFT is perfectly fine.

here is an exhaust video if you were looking. I have the Gruppe-S header and overpipe, with stock front pipe and MXP cat back. skip the first minute if you want to hear drive bys.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRp_73Ee89s"]Subaru BRZ Exhaust Video (UEL Headers + Catback) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by ryoma; 07-30-2016 at 04:14 PM.
ryoma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryoma For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-31-2016), Gruppe-s (08-02-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #14
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I pass sound with flying colors at my local sound-restricted autocross (limit is 93dB at 50'). Setup is a catless UEL, stock mid pipe, and a 6" muffler delete. It's really not that loud, and this setup captures more than 90% of the horsepower and weight savings available.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote