follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
There are so many options with open source. With a locked tune, you only have ONE option.

What Steve just wrote. You will only get as good of a tune as the capability and time spend from your tuner/yourself - regardless of the system used.
Yes I agree. The tuner makes the difference. As mentioned already I had bad experiences in both worlds. OFT and Ecutek. So, it is more to check different options and see with what you are satisfied more. It is not so much about the device , but what the tuner will do with your car and what additional parts will suggest (more important to me). And I don't care if the tune will be locked, if it works as I want.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #16
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
issue with locked tunes can be when you want to sell or buy car, not only is tune locked ecu is locked as well.
especially if you don't have ecutek/brzedit cables/software

their is no "read" facility with ecutek or brzedit even for tuner level software. not even tuners can read other tuners work. all you can do is overwrite.

also if you need to change tuners, you have to start from scratch again as new tuner cannot use original tune a base for even a minor change.

not always huge issues but can be.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #17
Baron_T

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Optimal for one point in time is not optimal

There is another aspect to this that @Tor and @steve99 are hinting at: an optimal tune for today may not be optimal 3 months from now. Suppose you've tuned your car optimally for an early autumn day, and then you want to go skiing? How is that optimal tune doing at 6000 ft / 2000 m higher up and Zero deg. F. / -18 deg C?

Unless one is actually exclusively racing that car, perhaps one should be willing to give up a couple percent of ultimate performance right now in order to get a broad band of good performance across a variety of conditions.

Good tools help, but they also have to be used right. Good professional tuners already know this. Good DIYers learn it.
Baron_T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron_T For This Useful Post:
Tor (11-23-2017), Vin (11-23-2017)