follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #169
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi@RR-racing View Post
Yes, you are correct, but 315 vs 330 is not a big difference. All the performance credentials are there with our new Sport Performance 4 piston kit, and its hands down a better option than using STi Brembo calipers in the back.

Rafi
Thanks, I figured that might be the reason. I have a few more questions for you before I go ahead with my decisions:

1) Can you update the f/r bias chart you did to include sport front and sport rear?

2) I noticed the sport rear has only BP20 as a pad option, but the sport front defaults to BP10 pad - is there a reason for that? Should they be matched if you order both? I don't want squeal, and I mostly daily drive on the street (99.5% of the time )

3) Also the sport rear has a high-downforce option - I assume the default for this should be the non-high downforce if you don't have a giant wing?

4) The rotor pictured for the front sport kit has one direction slots, but the rear has opposing direction slots, are the pictures correct?

Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #170
ハチロク

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
We just tested the Sport Performance 4 piston front kit with stock wheels. It requires 5mm spacers to clear the calipers. That's not bad, as in most cases it does not require using longer studs.

The Sport Performance kit requires a bit more clearance than our Stage I kit, because it uses thick 0.8" pads, which are really economical (last a long time) and great for the track.

Rafi
I think you may have covered this before but I would like to clarify. You say that the Sport Performance 4 piston front requires 5mm spacer to clear the stock wheels and that it requires more clearance than the Stage I front kit.

If the Stage I kit requires less clearance does the Stage I front kit fit the stock wheels without a spacer at all? The last post I saw mentioned something about 10mm. Maybe that was the Stage II and I was misunderstanding...
Old 11-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #171
acro

Drives: GT-86
Check your PM
Old 11-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #172
Wraithrider

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Pearl White
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rafi
How long will the sale on the sport setup for the BRZ run ? Can't find my way clear to make a purchase till the end of Dec.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #173
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ハチロク View Post
I think you may have covered this before but I would like to clarify. You say that the Sport Performance 4 piston front requires 5mm spacer to clear the stock wheels and that it requires more clearance than the Stage I front kit.

If the Stage I kit requires less clearance does the Stage I front kit fit the stock wheels without a spacer at all? The last post I saw mentioned something about 10mm. Maybe that was the Stage II and I was misunderstanding...
It is my understanding the Stage 1/3 will fit behind the stock wheels, the stage 2/4 kits require 10mm spacers and the sport kit requires a 5mm spacer. No issues with any rear kits.

Quote:
Our new Sport Performance 4 piston rear kit is steel (uses STi rear rotors) so its 100% functional like stock.
I don't really see the rear kit as an enticing value proposition compared to the front kit because the pads are listed as only slightly thicker than stock. I'd consider getting the rear kit to have a match to the front kit because I'm OCD like that but it seems the rear rotors have a different slot pattern than the fronts which would bug me. Can you clarify on the rotor setup or any way to get matching rotors if they are different?

Last edited by Lynxis; 11-18-2015 at 04:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
ハチロク (11-19-2015), djdnz (11-18-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #174
Rafi@RR-racing

Drives: Toyota GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
It is my understanding the Stage 1/3 will fit behind the stock wheels, the stage 2/4 kits require 10mm spacers and the sport kit requires a 5mm spacer. No issues with any rear kits.

I don't really see the rear kit as an enticing value proposition compared to the front kit because the pads are listed as only slightly thicker than stock. I'd consider getting the rear kit to have a match to the front kit because I'm OCD like that but it seems the rear rotors have a different slot pattern than the fronts which would bug me. Can you clarify on the rotor setup or any way to get matching rotors if they are different?

Yes, regarding BBK fitment for stock wheels, what you wrote is correct.

The Sport Performance Rear 4 piston BBK is a huge value proposition because what we achieved is more heat capacity AND a big shift in rear bias which benefits braking performance tremendously. The rear pad wear rate is much less than fronts, so the thickness of the pads is plenty sufficient. You will find that the rear pads will still outlast the thick pads we use on our front BBK's, so this is a non-issue.

Next week we will have front rotors that match the Sport Performance kit rears. I will post pics of the new front rotor option that matches rears by next week.

Bias chart:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rafi@RR-racing For This Useful Post:
ハチロク (11-19-2015), DAEMANO (11-20-2015), MaximeT (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #175
ハチロク

Garage
Where would the Sport Performance Front setup fall in that brake bias chart? I think seeing the Sport Performance Front/OE Rear bias and the Sport Performance Front/Sport Performance Rear bias would be helpful. I would assume the 4 piston Front would have a smaller piston area and that would cause the brake bias to be pushed further back. It seems like the Sport performance Fronts with OE rears would be a very attractive setup for budget minded buyers.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #176
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Next week we will have front rotors that match the Sport Performance kit rears. I will post pics of the new front rotor option that matches rears by next week.
Awesome, happy to hear that!

Quote:
Where would the Sport Performance Front setup fall in that brake bias chart? I think seeing the Sport Performance Front/OE Rear bias and the Sport Performance Front/Sport Performance Rear bias would be helpful. I would assume the 4 piston Front would have a smaller piston area and that would cause the brake bias to be pushed further back. It seems like the Sport performance Fronts with OE rears would be a very attractive setup for budget minded buyers.
Bias is likely similar between the 4 pot and 6 pot front kits. Clamping force is primarily a function of the size of the surface area of the pistons so it is likely the 4 pot kit uses larger pistons to offset the additional number of pistons in the 6 pot kit to end up with equivalent brake torque.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
ハチロク (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #177
ThatBlueBRZ

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Yes, regarding BBK fitment for stock wheels, what you wrote is correct.

The Sport Performance Rear 4 piston BBK is a huge value proposition because what we achieved is more heat capacity AND a big shift in rear bias which benefits braking performance tremendously. The rear pad wear rate is much less than fronts, so the thickness of the pads is plenty sufficient. You will find that the rear pads will still outlast the thick pads we use on our front BBK's, so this is a non-issue.

Bias chart:
I had recently purchased a Front Stage 1 Wilwood BBK from your company and it worked as it said. On the BBK fitment side, it did NOT clear front stock wheels. I needed at least 3mm spacers to clear the Stage 1 Wilwood BBK.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #178
ハチロク

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBlueBRZ View Post
I had recently purchased a Front Stage 1 Wilwood BBK from your company and it worked as it said. On the BBK fitment side, it did NOT clear front stock wheels. I needed at least 3mm spacers to clear the Stage 1 Wilwood BBK.
Can you post pictures with stock wheels please?
Old 11-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #179
Rafi@RR-racing

Drives: Toyota GT86
Quote:

All our front BBK kits (Sport Performance 4 piston, or the Stage 1-4 six piston kits) have exactly the same piston area.

Sport Performance 4 piston kit is the ultimate budget BBK... and you can get our Sport Performance front AND rear 4 piston kits for less than most reputable front kits alone. It is a great performance and value proposition.

Rafi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rafi@RR-racing For This Useful Post:
ハチロク (11-20-2015), DAEMANO (11-20-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #180
MaximeT

Drives: GT86-ACE-JRZ-RPF1-Essex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
The kit looks really good.
I took that with my phone :
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaximeT For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-23-2015), Rafi@RR-racing (11-22-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #181
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisraval View Post
Just got the stage 1 kit from Neal@The Racer's Line.
With a 5 mm spacer it clears RPF1 17x9 +45.

So then you feel the kit should clear the 17x9 +35 w/o spacers?
Old 11-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #182
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Rafi,

What is your thoughts on mixing the Sport Rears with the compition fronts? I see you have a holiday sale going on, that is a $100 of the purchase of a F/R sport kit. But, would prefer the 6 piston fronts.

Closed Thread

Tags
big brake kit, competition, track