follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2022, 04:08 PM   #1
SpeBud07

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RCE SS1 vs Ohlins RT

I'm working on my build and trying to decide on a suspension set up that meets the following in order:

Good to Great street ride -- car is still primarily a DD. I need working kidneys.
Good baseline for future suspension mods -- I don't want to do this twice
Good for Solo II and some limited long track time
Rebuildable/upgradeable in the future

I know the two aren't really the same price wise, but I've been considering the RCE SS1s or saving a few more pennies to get the Ohlins R/T. I think they both check off most of the boxes, but I'd like a few opinions.

Thanks!
SpeBud07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:29 PM   #2
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
While I like Ohlins for motorcycles...the RCE SS1 are the best choice for this platform given the awesome amount of travel and specialized valving they provide in this price range and your use case. I'm converting my build from an autocross specific focus, removing my MCS 1WNR and installing a set of RCE SS1 if that gives you any indication.

Last edited by Lincoln Logs; 05-30-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:16 PM   #3
SpeBud07

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Logs View Post
While I like Ohlins for motorcycles...the RCE SS1 are the best choice for this platform given the awesome amount of travel and specialized valving the provide in this price range and your use case. I'm converting my build from an autocross specific focus, removing my MCS 1WNR and installing a set of RCE SS1 if that gives you any indication.
I’d love to save the $800 bucks between the two platforms. It seems that the Ohlins have more of a street lean to them, which is more ideal for me now. I’m probably kidding myself if I honestly think this will be the last set of shocks I’ll want.
SpeBud07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:41 PM   #4
Koba

Drives: 2020 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Logs View Post
While I like Ohlins for motorcycles...the RCE SS1 are the best choice for this platform given the awesome amount of travel and specialized valving the provide in this price range and your use case. I'm converting my build from an autocross specific focus, removing my MCS 1WNR and installing a set of RCE SS1 if that gives you any indication.
A bit off topic, sorry OP.
LL, would you mind explaining why you're moving from MCS to RCE? Looking at track suspension myself and these two are on my short list, just want to gather as much info as possible before purchase. Thank you!
Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper just to re-valve and re-spring MCS?
Koba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koba View Post
A bit off topic, sorry OP.
LL, would you mind explaining why you're moving from MCS to RCE? Looking at track suspension myself and these two are on my short list, just want to gather as much info as possible before purchase. Thank you!
Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper just to re-valve and re-spring MCS?
I could do that, and probably spend just as much on them doing so. As it sits I think it is easier to take them off, sell them for someone else to enjoy (only 2k miles on them and a handful of autocross events) and install the RCE which were built from the ground up as a road and track set up.

The MCS are great, but I'm just in a different place in life now and enjoy the car a bit differently. Let me know if you are interested in them. They have 450lb springs, Vorhslag top hats front and rear with the optional radial bearings as well.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:09 AM   #6
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I was pretty disappointed in the ohlins cars I rode in, very stiff despite their blowoff valve tech. The twin tube KWs have great road manners once you get the ride heights and damper settings right, op sounds like the rce are the way to go to me.

You’ll lose out on rebuildavle/upgrade, kw only does refreshes (replace the orings and oil) now, nobody can revalve them anymore but you’ll still be able to tweak spring rates a bit and play with the knob.

Honestly, for autox+track: alignment is the best bang for the buck, but you’ll have to balance your street tire wear with how aggressive you want to be for autox. Camber plates on the rce are a big plus imho.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
SpeBud07 (05-28-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Here's my 4 cents. Many/most people don't get to try many suspension setups. They upgrade once, end of story. So providing there is an improvement over what was on the car it is a win. What many people seem to miss is after sales service/advice. It sucks to spend your money only to find out get your trick set up has no support. This is why I would never consider RCE suspension; I am in Australia and sending bits overseas for overhaul is cost prohibitive. But for you people in the States the help and advice from RCE makes me think their products are a no brainer.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (05-29-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 11:51 PM   #8
eyeballs

Drives: '22 BRZ
I just installed the SS1s on my '22. It really is crazy how in the majority of street driving scenarios it rides smoother and more comfortable then stock. Out of 20 damper settings, right now I'm at 10F 7R from soft. I do think the front plates transfer more road noise into the car vs a setup with stock hats (which I really only notice when driving at slow speeds). You may also get more height with the ohlins, as I'm close to an inch lower then stock height (once settled and height readjusted with driver weight) with maybe a mm or so more room for extra height before the rear springs preload. I thought about the ohlins too, but so far zero regrets with the ss1 setup. Unfortunately I have to wait until next month to have some fun with them.
eyeballs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eyeballs For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (06-11-2022), Racecomp Engineering (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 06:29 AM   #9
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
In my opinion, you're unlikely to rebuild coilover systems that fall below the ~$1.5k range. As a ROM, it costs about $150 a corner just for a rebuild on an lower-end system (more if you want to customize: revalve, respring, etc.). By that point, you will have probably outgrown the system and will be looking to upgrade rather than sink more money to refresh the same set-up. I spent a few years on an entry level system (Tein Flex A); rather than rebuilding and revalving it, I will just be moving-on to a higher end system. The advantage of a lower end system is that you can get a feel for the characteristics and then be able to easily upgrade to the same family/derivative later or switch things up without a lot of loss if you find out that you don't like the suspension set-up you're with.

If you're looking for a 1-shot buy, the Ohlins (or a higher end system) will certainly grow with you for longer. The downside is that you might not be able to get the full potential out of such a system until later in your growth, especially if you're just starting out and also have to navigate dialing-in two-way systems (which isn't an issue for the Ohlins necessarily with a single adjustment knob). If you find out you don't like the system, then you've lost a little more time and money there. The upshot is if you do like it, you'll hold onto the single system for longer and be able to take advantage of a more practical cost scaling for rebuilds.

Really up to you the route you want to take. A high quality coilover system will perform just fine on the street and handle some track time as well (entry level or not). The rest is preference and budget.

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 06-02-2022 at 06:42 AM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 10:05 PM   #10
colinshark

Drives: Some RX-7s
I'd go with the SS1's. The top hats are awesome, and amazing for the price. When I researched it, the Ohlins didn't seem like they offered enough spring rate increase to match the lowering.

I was dead set on SS1's until I realized they don't get the stainless steel bodies, and I drive year round in Michigan. Went with Tarmac IIs.

Super happy with them, and I consider the car comfortable by enthusiast standards now that it's sorted. Spring rate is slightly more than the SS1's and fine to me on the street. Got the ride height correct, dampers adjusted, and 100% clunks out.

I will note that I'm on OEM-style top mounts, so that contributes to the refinement.
colinshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:53 PM   #11
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I love Ohlins but I don't think they are the ideal platform for this car. The Ohlins have non-standard end link connection points. They are not able to get as low as most other coilovers. The Ohlins are also much more expensive than the RCE SS-1.

I have had the SS-1s on my car for about 2 years. They handle better than stock but are not noticeably stiffer. RCE support is great to work with. I have had no issues really and they are probably the best option in the price range. However, the SS-1s don't go quite as low as I would like and there are other coilovers out there that allow you to get a bit more negative camber.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:17 PM   #12
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I had GReddy x KW (similar to RCE SS1) and moved to Ohlins MP20. I didn't love the KWs, I felt they rode rather harshly and weren't responding well to the damper changes I was inputting. Their mounting system for the actual spring was also something I disliked, as I managed to accidentally strip out the set screw in the locking collar the first time I attempted to change the ride height :/.

Though not a true 1:1 comparison because of different alignment settings, wheels + tires, seat, and bushing changes, I prefer the Ohlins MP20 on the car now. I feel they're able to more easily adapt to changes in the road as well as on track hitting curbs (no bouncing or trying to settle). I can feel the difference two "clicks" on the damper makes compared to the KWs.

These are just my "$0.02", I am by no means an expert and am simply sharing my experience.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:23 AM   #13
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I enjoy my RCE SS1's. I will be upgrading soonish once I get my aero installed. But RCE SS1s are great dual street and track car setup. Can handle 200TW tires and mild aero no problem.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (06-11-2022)