follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
VABeachBRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Having troubles deciding Turbo or SC

I've had my eye on the JDL GTX28 kit, but I see sprintex and JSRC getting lots of love on their SC.

What's a reason to go with one and not the other?
VABeachBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
......damn.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Id say read the owners threads. Then go from there.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I don't know about other people but the things that have drawn me to the supercharger route is from what I've read it(JRSC) runs cooler then alot of the turbo kits available and is also very easy to install and reverse back to stock vs the turbo kits.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
VABeachBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
I don't know about other people but the things that have drawn me to the supercharger route is from what I've read it(JRSC) runs cooler then alot of the turbo kits available and is also very easy to install and reverse back to stock vs the turbo kits.

Yeah but with the SC route comes less power. But a lot easier to go back to stock if need be.

But what gets me is, the price for SC and Turbo are really close. So why not go turbo and get more power?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABeachBRZ View Post
Yeah but with the SC route comes less power. But a lot easier to go back to stock if need be.

But what gets me is, the price for SC and Turbo are really close. So why not go turbo and get more power?

There are a lot of reasons. All depends on the kit, but generally the superchargers are more reliable. *GENERALLY* Also, you're not usually tapping the oil pan and installation is generally easier. Weight and placement of that weight is sometimes something to be taken in consideration as well. When you compare something like the edelbrock to a full race turbo kit (or any front mount turbo kit) you start to see where the weight is and why there could be cooling or installation issues with on versus the other.

Also, most turbo kits optioned out with newer tech turbos and safeguards are more than comparable supercharger kits. All depends, literally each option has its ups and downs.

For me, and my research, the edelbrock is the option. Lots of power potential, clean install, lots of support and its a proven setup for a decent price. It isn't the option for everyone and their goals / needs.
Calum (08-04-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
These reason and IMO the supercharger behaves alot more like the stock NA does. I like the stock feel but just wanted a few more ponies for when the urge arises. I don't feel the need/want for much more then 300whp so turbo route because more power didn't really appeal that much to me. I plan to do the ACE headers to finish off my full exhaust to maximize NA power before making a final decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
There are a lot of reasons. All depends on the kit, but generally the superchargers are more reliable. *GENERALLY* Also, you're not usually tapping the oil pan and installation is generally easier. Weight and placement of that weight is sometimes something to be taken in consideration as well. When you compare something like the edelbrock to a full race turbo kit (or any front mount turbo kit) you start to see where the weight is and why there could be cooling or installation issues with on versus the other.

Also, most turbo kits optioned out with newer tech turbos and safeguards are more than comparable supercharger kits. All depends, literally each option has its ups and downs.

For me, and my research, the edelbrock is the option. Lots of power potential, clean install, lots of support and its a proven setup for a decent price. It isn't the option for everyone and their goals / needs.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
VABeachBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
These reason and IMO the supercharger behaves alot more like the stock NA does. I like the stock feel but just wanted a few more ponies for when the urge arises. I don't feel the need/want for much more then 300whp so turbo route because more power didn't really appeal that much to me. I plan to do the ACE headers to finish off my full exhaust to maximize NA power before making a final decision.

I agree. But my plan and wants is to stay in the 350-400 range. Maybe with a SC and e85 I can achieve that. But with a turbo, I can go 400 easily and Moreno if need be
Old 08-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
I agree. But my plan and wants is to stay in the 350-400 range. Maybe with a SC and e85 I can achieve that. But with a turbo, I can go 400 easily and Moreno if need be

Then your motor is eating connecting rods, and then you're building a block, and then your tune isn't 100%...ever.... and your car never runs how it should exactly and you realize you have 50K in to a car that you could (maybe) sell for 18K, return it to stock, and ditch the car while never making anything back on your parts.

Seriously though, look at some of the build threads by Spencer Fab and Project9s and get an idea of what it takes to actually make some power with the FA20 and the chain reaction that happens. You'll see people ditch these cars left and right because they realize what it takes to make reliable power and decide it isn't worth it. Then again if you look at threads by @killboy you see a well put together vehicle being driven like it should, and they have both a supercharged and a turbocharged vehicle. Do a lot of research and find out what works best for your needs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
jasonojordan (08-03-2016), kch (08-03-2016), killboy (08-03-2016), Simply_the_best (08-03-2016), VABeachBRZ (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #10
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
That sir was an important bit of info that you could have included in your first post!

Another important factor is whether or not you plan on tracking the car.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
VABeachBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
That sir was an important bit of info that you could have included in your first post!

Another important factor is whether or not you plan on tracking the car.
Yeah I realized I forgot to mention my goals. I do AutoX some but nothing extreme yet.

I will read some build threads. BUT one thing I did see is, quite a few people are blowing motors when turbo. Mostly due to not taking care of it and running to much boost. I would think the FA20 could handle the JDL Single Scroll at about 375-400 without having to many issues
Old 08-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah I realized I forgot to mention my goals. I do AutoX some but nothing extreme yet.

I will read some build threads. BUT one thing I did see is, quite a few people are blowing motors when turbo. Mostly due to not taking care of it and running to much boost. I would think the FA20 could handle the JDL Single Scroll at about 375-400 without having to many issues
Hmm no I dont think so. At more than double the power level of the stock engine, it will fail, for sure, its a matter of how long will it last (a few weeks, a few months, maybe a couple of years?). Sub 300 is safe territory, many people have been tracking the car at that power level without issues for years now. Above 300, almost everyone has had some kind of issue and it requires a lot of supporting mods to make it stable.

TL;DR dont fool yourself into thining 375-400 isnt a lot of power compared to stock, because it is.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
VABeachBRZ (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #13
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98839

This guy has built a high power FA20.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2697698

Here is another thread

http://www.spencerfabricationcompany.com/spec86-brz/

More info

If you think it is "easy" to run 375-400 reliably, think again. JDL turbo kit is a solid option though, they even have a thread where people ask questions, post their setups, and discuss issues with the kit in the forced induction section.
VABeachBRZ (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #14
Ross

Drives: 85 corolla gts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
For anyone wanting to push 400 and north I recommend a swap. After you are done dealing with built engine, trans, cost of force induction kit, accessory parts, ect.... a swap does not look so bad. If you have moderate goals then fi is a good option. First one I ever built made 471, and lasted a long time. We went into the engine do to him wanting more power. Ultimately after doing a swap and after building several of these for high output fi, I feel the swap is the better answer.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-04-2016), CSG Mike (08-03-2016), VABeachBRZ (08-03-2016)