follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #43
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Many years ago when I was just out of short pants, a good friend was finishing up grad school and needed a new car.

He invited me along for test driving lots of cars all over the Twin Cities. Over the weeks it morphed into several activities and became known as Macho Saturday.

1- test drive several cars until we got sick of a he salesmen attitudes. We were scruffy looking back then, they didn't think we were financially viable . We weren't... then

2- go to Moon Valley and shoot pistols. You know, it's remarkably difficult to shoot accurately with a handgun standing still let alone on horseback

3- go to Stand-up Franks and drink some cheap whisky. No chairs at all in the place. Sometime go next door for exotic dancing.

4- go back to apartment and crash until dinner time. Then eat and go Uptown

The car should be part of an adventure. Ann Arbor is a college town. Make a day if it. Find good eats and a brew pub maybe check out a record store. Have fun checking out chics and a new scene

Last edited by g e; 08-23-2018 at 03:03 PM.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #44
Brooklyn

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
Many years ago when I was just out of short pants, a good friend was finishing up grad school and needed a new car.

He invited me along for test driving lots of cars all over the Twin Cities. Over the weeks it morphed into several activities and became known as Macho Saturday.

1- test drive several cars until we got sick of a he salesmen attitudes. We were scruffy looking back then, they didn't think we were financially viable . We weren't... then

2- go to Moon Valley and shoot pistols. You know, it's remarkably difficult to shoot accurately with a handgun standing still let alone on horseback

3- go to Stand-up Franks and drink some cheap whisky. No chairs at all in the place. Sometime go next door for exotic dancing.

4- go back to apartment and crash until dinner time. Then eat and go Uptown

The car should be part of an adventure. Ann Arbor is a college town. Make a day if it. Find good eats and a brew pub maybe check out a record store. Have fun checking out chics and a new scene
Never been to the twin cities but it sounds like a cool place based on this description.
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #45
Kgm32

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
The 86 is a completely different experience compared to the cars you've listed. It's a lightweight momentum car. I think the best comparison to any modern day car would be a Miata.

What have you driven in the past?

What @why? said above.
Current car is a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse, prior car was a
1998 Eagle Talon. Affordable coupes are getting harder to come by but I have test drove the Camaro (pass), Mustang (its okay) and RC350 (love it but as I am paying cash can only afford a used one with 20K or so miles and that still will set you back $40,000.)
Kgm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #46
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
Never been to the twin cities but it sounds like a cool place based on this description.
It was a remarkable town in the late '70's early '80's.

I moved away September 83 but get back every few years. It ain't what it used to be. Tearing down Moby D-ck's (they serve a whale of a drink) was the beginning of the end. That was a place I left no later than 10:30 on weekends.

Long Horn Saloon downtown Minneapolis - catching Elvis Costello very early in his career and Pere Ubu...,

I wonder if the Cabooze is still there?
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #47
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgm32 View Post
Current car is a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse, prior car was a
1998 Eagle Talon. Affordable coupes are getting harder to come by but I have test drove the Camaro (pass), Mustang (its okay) and RC350 (love it but as I am paying cash can only afford a used one with 20K or so miles and that still will set you back $40,000.)

If that's the case, do yourself a favour, and go drive this car. I don't think you'll regret it.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #48
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
If that's the case, do yourself a favour, and go drive this car. I don't think you'll regret it.
Honestly I think he'll hate it. He's driving softer, more practical cars with bigger engines. Based on what he's said so far, I don't think he'll enjoy the rawness of the handling coupled with the lack of power and limited amenities and utility. Some people find this car a joy to drive on a daily basis, whereas others find it to be a real chore. I think he's the latter.

Besides, if he drives it and hates it, he will have wasted a whole day.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #49
Sigint

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
I originally had a 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse. This car reminded me a lot of that one, but in a good way.

Just to throw my two cents in, I agree with a lot of what people are saying. These are niche cars and they're not going to appeal to most people who are wanting people carriers and not driver's cars.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sigint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #50
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Honestly I think he'll hate it. He's driving softer, more practical cars with bigger engines. Based on what he's said so far, I don't think he'll enjoy the rawness of the handling coupled with the lack of power and limited amenities and utility. Some people find this car a joy to drive on a daily basis, whereas others find it to be a real chore. I think he's the latter.

Besides, if he drives it and hates it, he will have wasted a whole day.

Hard to say...Personally, I don't know anyone that doesn't like it. Even my buddies that drive VERY high HP cars say how fun it is.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #51
extrashaky

Quote:
Personally, I don't know anyone that doesn't like it.
They're around. You don't hear from most of them because they instinctively stay away. But a few have popped up here on the board over the last few years.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:37 AM   #52
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It seems as if most of you are into modding this car and swear by only manual transmissions. You put on stiffer springs and those wide wheels and tires you don't really need plus to make the car much noisier with headers and exhaust systems. When I first drove a 2016 BRZ, I didn't like it much. While the handling was great, it was much noisier than I liked and it was too stiff. In addition, it didn't have the tech I wanted.

When I test drove the 2018 manual with PP, it was slightly quieter than the 2016 version, but was still stiff and somewhat noisy. But the 2018 Limited Automatic BRZ just had a different character. It had a much better ride, was a pleasure in daily driving, got better mpg, but still handled great and was loads of fun FOR ME.....

This car was also much quieter than previous rides in BRZ's. I did remove that damn sound tube. I placed Maxpider Kagu mats over the factory carpet mats and put the factory cargo liner in the back. The Maxpider mats do a good job of both protecting the car and make it a smidge quieter. Basically, you have the carpet padding, the carpets, the factory mats, and the Kagu mats on top -- four layers of sound isolation.

I can still use the paddle shifters or stick to change gears manually -- and I do that about a quarter of the time.

So, for the vast majority of BRZ and 86 buyers who don't mod their cars or want a stiff ride, there is a great solution -- especially with the newer models.

Thus, there is a solution for this guy, but it is just not the solution of most of you on this forum. On my 2018 I also have Android Auto, have added a center console cover, found a great solution for my phone that isn't put on the dash (which looks ugly IMO). I have the standard exhaust and it is just loud enough for me when I step on the gas.

I guess it is different strokes for different folks in this case. Just don't assume because this guy is not like you, that this is the wrong car for him. I've owned a number of Porsches and have had sports cars (almost all manual) my entire life. This is the one of the funnest cars I've ever owned. It reminds me of my first Triumph TR-6 back in '69, only a whole lot better.

My only real complaint is the sound system which I will address soon....
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #53
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
I placed Maxpider Kagu mats over the factory carpet mats and put the factory cargo liner in the back. The Maxpider mats do a good job of both protecting the car and make it a smidge quieter. Basically, you have the carpet padding, the carpets, the factory mats, and the Kagu mats on top -- four layers of sound isolation.
I checked the mats at Amazon and it's priced at $77, Amazon says this mat doesn't fit 2018 BRZ. Where did you get it from and how much? Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MMG9MQ21RJS5V9
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #54
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I placed Maxpider Kagu mats over the factory carpet mats and put the factory cargo liner in the back. The Maxpider mats do a good job of both protecting the car and make it a smidge quieter. Basically, you have the carpet padding, the carpets, the factory mats, and the Kagu mats on top -- four layers of sound isolation.
I would remove the factory mats, anything over them has a chance of bunching up under the gas or brake pedal and that would be bad. It may not ever happen but if it does...
Old 08-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #55
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikna View Post
I checked the mats at Amazon and it's priced at $77, Amazon says this mat doesn't fit 2018 BRZ. Where did you get it from and how much? Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MMG9MQ21RJS5V9
The interior of this car has not changed much it will fit. They probably just haven't confirmed fitment, but it should fit.

Last edited by Vital; 08-24-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #56
extrashaky

Quote:
It reminds me of my first Triumph TR-6 back in '69, only a whole lot better.
I started in a TR6, plus we had two MGs in the garage also, as well as several Corvettes of various vintages over the years. If you had a TR6, you have a much different frame of reference from a guy looking at Camaros and Mustangs. To us, the 86's ride is very comfortable in comparison to what we have driven in the past. To him, it's going to feel like he's getting the shit beat out of him while going too slow to justify the abuse.

So I stand by what I said. He should just forget this car and buy that Lexus he was looking at instead. Otherwise he'll be on here bitching about it for six months straight until he finally gives up and sells it to buy the Lexus anyway.