follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dangers of a Non-Intercooled SC?

I have the opportunity of buying a Sprintex 210 kit, nonintercooled, with about 20k miles on it. I’m a newbie to cars, but I know I’ll need an EcuTek tune of some sort after having the kit professionally installed.

With that said, since the kit is nonintercooled, should I expect any troubles with the kit? What does nonintercooled even mean? As for as my research goes, I’ve only gotten opinions that a FI kit should ALWAYS be intercooled.

Is 20k on a SC kit too much? What are some things that I should expect, besides my engine (72k miles) possibly grenading? Do you guys think I should pick the kit up? Thanks
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 AM   #2
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
it means that after 2 pulls with full gas it will be so much heatsoaked that the tuner must pull so much timings that you basically loose 30hp after 10 minutes
also you can t really track it because it would be so much heatsoaked and with low ign timing that you must be also carefull of the exhaust temperature
for normal driving it is good
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
kev0 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Rule of thumb always buy new.

There is always a reason why someone is dumping their headaches, I mean used parts.
That being said, it's your car your money.

As for expecting trouble, LOL why even ask?

As for any non inner cooled supercharger all depends on the build and end use.
Daily driving, it's going to get nice and toasty. Expect new engine soon.

A nice Civic Si is what you need. Sell that pos you're driving now. Can't beat a turbocharged Honda engine. Way more power out the box that would smoke any FI 86.

But if you want to buy a used and abused supercharger under they guíes of slightly used, go for it. I got some MPSS I can sell you for $200 a tire.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
kev0 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
I have the opportunity of buying a Sprintex 210 kit, nonintercooled, with about 20k miles on it. I’m a newbie to cars, but I know I’ll need an EcuTek tune of some sort after having the kit professionally installed.

With that said, since the kit is nonintercooled, should I expect any troubles with the kit? What does nonintercooled even mean? As for as my research goes, I’ve only gotten opinions that a FI kit should ALWAYS be intercooled.

Is 20k on a SC kit too much? What are some things that I should expect, besides my engine (72k miles) possibly grenading? Do you guys think I should pick the kit up? Thanks
unless it is 25% of the price it would be brand new or less, then don't do it.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
kev0 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
kev0

Drives: '14
Thanks, all. General consensus of those who replied to this thread pretty much screams no. I gotta admit, I was disappointed. I really did want something to spice up my daily driven vehicle. I guess I’ll have to wait to buy a brand new kit.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
coryandy

Drives: '14 SSM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
With a non-intercooled Sprintex, once it gets heat soaked, you will end up with barely more power than an E-85 NA tune with a full exhaust. This may be something to consider instead as it is much safer for your engine and more durable in the long run. I would think E-85 would be fairly easily available in Chi-town?
kev0 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #7
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I bought my SC with 30k on the clock and it's working great. It was the 210 IC. It is super fun on the street. If you have e85 around for it with flex fuel it really wakes up the kit and helps with heat soak.

Edit**

if you can get the price lower, you can put it towards a rebuild by Jon bond. For reference I paid 2800$ for my used 210 with the IC. Just looked and I have 1000 miles and no issues but a small bit of SC oil usage under heavy pulls

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's

Last edited by jflogerzi; 06-15-2019 at 12:28 AM.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #8
DaveB.inVa

Drives: 2016 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you can get it for a good price and its in good shape, you can buy the intercooler kit separately.
DaveB.inVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Get the kit if the price + a jon bond rebuild, and supercharger side catch can is at least 500$ cheaper then buying new when all is said and done. But i would really plan on WMI and or E85 especially if not intercooled. You can reach out to some vendors you might be able to find the intercooler upgrade kit for about 1600$. Could possibly have Jon bond install the intercooler supercharger plate when doing rebuild.

Any supercharger should have a intercooler, especially the sprintex. Or at very least E85/WMI. Once intake temps sky rocket all HP gains are gone. On the sprintex with No intercooler you get 1-2 good pulls before your power is dropped to full bolt on NA, with intercooler it’s about 5-6 pulls, with E85 alone maybe 3-4, WMI alone maybe 4-5, WMI or E85 + intercooler and it will never really be an issue.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Rule of thumb always buy new.

There is always a reason why someone is dumping their headaches, I mean used parts.
That being said, it's your car your money.

As for expecting trouble, LOL why even ask?

As for any non inner cooled supercharger all depends on the build and end use.
Daily driving, it's going to get nice and toasty. Expect new engine soon.

A nice Civic Si is what you need. Sell that pos you're driving now. Can't beat a turbocharged Honda engine. Way more power out the box that would smoke any FI 86.

But if you want to buy a used and abused supercharger under they guíes of slightly used, go for it. I got some MPSS I can sell you for $200 a tire.
Quality post....

This is my kit, and I was offering it up to the local Indiana86 group for cheap ($1500 for entire kit, including MotoEast intake) because I'm selling my car to move onto a different platform, purely because I'd like to, and for no other reason. The kit, for me, has run with zero issues, and because I run E85 I don't run into issues with heat soak on 95% of days. I love this kit and would buy it again in a heartbeat for daily driving. It produces great torque, doesn't make a ton of power (so you don't have to upgrade clutch, injectors, worry about engine popping all the time), and makes a great noise for not much money. My entire boosted setup was less than half of what most spend going FI, and that makes it worth it for the goals that I had.

If you think you are going to run into guaranteed engine issues with this kit (or any kit) then you obviously don't have experience with it, and must not know much about these cars. There are thousands of folks running this kit without issue, and assuming you choose a QUALITY tuner, you'll never have any engine issues unless you are just one of the unlucky ones -- Or, if you treat your car like shit.

Additionally, for those who aren't aware, there are additional factors to consider with the intercooled part of the kit -- I actually had the intercooler and ended up selling it before putting it on. You have to run an aftermarket MAF to tune the intercooled kit properly, and I didn't see a need to worry about future coolant leaks/issues in Indiana weather. Mike at MotoEast knew that I would be running primarily on E85 (which runs cooler) and told me that the nonintercooled kit was perfectly fine. If I had been primarily running on 93 then yes, the intercooler would have been worth the hassle.

At any rate, I believed that $1500 was a great price considering this kit goes for 4k new. It has been treated well and I wasn't interested in trying to squeeze out top dollar for a used part. It must have been a great price because it has now gone to a new owner, who I hope will enjoy it.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #11
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Quality post....

This is my kit, and I was offering it up to the local Indiana86 group for cheap ($1500 for entire kit, including MotoEast intake) because I'm selling my car to move onto a different platform, purely because I'd like to, and for no other reason. The kit, for me, has run with zero issues, and because I run E85 I don't run into issues with heat soak on 95% of days. I love this kit and would buy it again in a heartbeat for daily driving. It produces great torque, doesn't make a ton of power (so you don't have to upgrade clutch, injectors, worry about engine popping all the time), and makes a great noise for not much money. My entire boosted setup was less than half of what most spend going FI, and that makes it worth it for the goals that I had.

If you think you are going to run into guaranteed engine issues with this kit (or any kit) then you obviously don't have experience with it, and must not know much about these cars. There are thousands of folks running this kit without issue, and assuming you choose a QUALITY tuner, you'll never have any engine issues unless you are just one of the unlucky ones -- Or, if you treat your car like shit.

Additionally, for those who aren't aware, there are additional factors to consider with the intercooled part of the kit -- I actually had the intercooler and ended up selling it before putting it on. You have to run an aftermarket MAF to tune the intercooled kit properly, and I didn't see a need to worry about future coolant leaks/issues in Indiana weather. Mike at MotoEast knew that I would be running primarily on E85 (which runs cooler) and told me that the nonintercooled kit was perfectly fine. If I had been primarily running on 93 then yes, the intercooler would have been worth the hassle.

At any rate, I believed that $1500 was a great price considering this kit goes for 4k new. It has been treated well and I wasn't interested in trying to squeeze out top dollar for a used part. It must have been a great price because it has now gone to a new owner, who I hope will enjoy it.
I am using the standard MAF without issues along with the standard map? Moto East did my tuning

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #12
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I am using the standard MAF without issues along with the standard map? Moto East did my tuning

Ahh... There were some early issues with the stock maf or map doing something strange but maybe they've resolved it. Moto east definitely would know.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (06-15-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 03:09 AM   #13
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Ahh... There were some early issues with the stock maf or map doing something strange but maybe they've resolved it. Moto east definitely would know.
The exact opposite. The issue is (still an issue) with after market MAP sensors as the intercooler heatsink plate causes too much turbulence so the Boost reading was a bit sporadic and would fluctuate too much (actually making 11psi but it reads a “fluttering” 9-12psi) made tuning with it a nightmare. Using stock MAP sensor and tuning based off MAF is what you have to do.

Also kit is 4k$ new WITH intercooler. I got mine from Bahn Brenner for 3900$ new on eBay. Intercooler is a 1600$ “upgrade option” although cheaper buying together. So 3k$ for non intercooler kit. But still 1500$ isn’t a bad deal
assuming it has no issues.

I would still prefer intercooler either way. But yes with E85 and/or WMI it isn’t necessary for a spirited DD.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote