follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Anomie

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OEM HID versus TRS HID

Hey, I was wondering what the differences were as far as quality/cutoff/beam pattern/output/etc between the OEM bi-xenon found on the BRZ & 10-series (I assume BRZ & 10-series use the same HID projector, if not correct me) and The Retrofit Source's Bi-xenon retrofit kit.

I tried searching for a comparison but couldn't find any detailed one, if there is throw me a link to it

Post up pics of your cutoff/beam pattern & any insight you may have as to which you consider to be better and why.

Thank you!
Anomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Most find TRS to be better. I have retrofits from TRS (mini 11) and they are great
Old 10-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Anomie

Here's the cutoff from the TRS morimoto 6.0 from another thread I found (5k bulbs). Looks amazing! Anybody have a picture of the OEM cutoff for comparison?

Old 10-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9116
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to post_break For This Useful Post:
Squishy86 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Anomie

Thank you post break, It seems like even the OEM HID output is fairly poor compared to the TRS solution. Makes me wonder why people want to splurge 1.5-2 grand on OEM gt86 lights when the output is not nearly as good as an ~$300 retrofit. I guess its the need to have OEM look or the fear of baking/sealing...

Here's the pic from the thread he linked for reference. OEM HID on the right, Hid bulb in halogen projector on the left (which is not what this thread is about but it's part of the same picture :P)

Last edited by Anomie; 10-23-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I have been a xenon projector retrofitting enthusiast since before it was cool. I have tried out OEM and aftermarket projectors and always choose OEM for quality of the product. I may use Morimoto projectors as fog lights, but not for my main driving lights. They don't spread light the way my eyes like it.

I approve of the BRZ headlights.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
brz_star21

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomie View Post
Thank you post break, It seems like even the OEM HID output is fairly poor compared to the TRS solution. Makes me wonder why people want to splurge 1.5-2 grand on OEM gt86 lights when the output is not nearly as good as an ~$300 retrofit. I guess its the need to have OEM look or the fear of baking/sealing...

Here's the pic from the thread he linked for reference. OEM HID on the right, Hid bulb in halogen projector on the left (which is not what this thread is about but it's part of the same picture :P)
Any idea what headlight level setting the BRZ was on since they're OEM adjustable? In the second row of pics, the BRZ appears to disperse the light better. It's not always about "the brighter, the better". I prefer the OEM just because fit and finish.
brz_star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Anomie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brz_star21 View Post
Any idea what headlight level setting the BRZ was on since they're OEM adjustable? In the second row of pics, the BRZ appears to disperse the light better. It's not always about "the brighter, the better". I prefer the OEM just because fit and finish.
Yes he says in that thread that in the first pic they were on the "0" setting and in the second pic they were aimed lower on the "3" setting
Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Anomie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
I have been a xenon projector retrofitting enthusiast since before it was cool. I have tried out OEM and aftermarket projectors and always choose OEM for quality of the product. I may use Morimoto projectors as fog lights, but not for my main driving lights. They don't spread light the way my eyes like it.

I approve of the BRZ headlights.
Can you further explain what "the way my eyes like it" means? What about the way the OEM projectors spread the light is different and in your opinion better?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Can you further explain what "the way my eyes like it" means? What about the way the OEM projectors spread the light is different and in your opinion better?
The way the hotspot of the beam is projected on the road by the OEM projectors is easier on the eyes than the Morimoto stuff. From what I know about the Mini H1 projectors that I've used versus the RX330, RX350/BRZ, TSX, Valeo, ZKW, Bosch, other OEM stuff, the Morimoto Mini H1 suffers from too intense foreground lighting which hinders the "throw" of the lights (i.e. what you can see directly in front of you is brighter than what you want to see miles ahead of you). The RX350/BRZ bixenons have the "softest" foreground light I've seen from an OEM projector so far. I've also stepped away from having razor sharp and super colorful cutoffs (the transition area between light and no light) and have become a fan of softer cutoffs, so that more light will bleed further out.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
Anomie

Interesting, how do you feel about the amount of light being thrown above the cutoff with the OEM HID projectors? Seems like a lot to me, isn't it?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
The way the hotspot of the beam is projected on the road by the OEM projectors is easier on the eyes than the Morimoto stuff. From what I know about the Mini H1 projectors that I've used versus the RX330, RX350/BRZ, TSX, Valeo, ZKW, Bosch, other OEM stuff, the Morimoto Mini H1 suffers from too intense foreground lighting which hinders the "throw" of the lights (i.e. what you can see directly in front of you is brighter than what you want to see miles ahead of you). The RX350/BRZ bixenons have the "softest" foreground light I've seen from an OEM projector so far. I've also stepped away from having razor sharp and super colorful cutoffs (the transition area between light and no light) and have become a fan of softer cutoffs, so that more light will bleed further out.
Keep in mind the Mini H1's have been changed a lot over the years. Specifically, they added foreground limiters to them so they're not as bad as they were.

Cutoff wise, yes, they have some issues, namely the step is far too big compared to OEM's. Sharpness is a personal choice.

Quote:
Interesting, how do you feel about the amount of light being thrown above the cutoff with the OEM HID projectors? Seems like a lot to me, isn't it?
All lights are required to have light above the cutoff. It's one of the main reasons HID's in non-HID headlight reflector/projector is a bad idea.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Pretty sure people want the GT86 lights because of the LED strip mainly. And because JDM yo... Instead of considering the actual light output for HIDs lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaiakai For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (10-24-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you post break, It seems like even the OEM HID output is fairly poor compared to the TRS solution.
You have no clue what you're talking about.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
infinite012 (10-24-2013)