follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2020, 12:02 AM   #1
GCFSA

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bride seat install questions

Hey guys, sorry if these are noob questions but I'm going to be swapping out my drivers seat with a Bride stradia II next week and just had a few questions about how to do it properly.

1: What resistor do I need? Bride has a 2.2 ohm resistor listed as the compatible one but a lot of people here have been using the 3.3 ohm so I just wanted to know which one's the proper one? Also, does the wattage matter for the resistors? ie: can I use a 3.3 ohm 5 watt instead of 3.3 ohm 1 watt? (<- what most people I've seen on this forum use)

2: After transferring the seat belt buckle over to the Bride seat, do I need to plug the wiring back in or just leave it unplugged? (since the guides on youtube i've seen don't really talk about this)

3: Will the driver's airbags still be functional provided I use the resistor?

Thanks!

GCFSA
GCFSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:37 AM   #2
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
1. I spent forever researching this back when i did it can’t find all the information again, but it seems the Subaru/toyota airbags use a 2.2 ohm. A 3.3 will still probably work but it’s not what it was designed for. Another DIY using 2.2 ohm. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=2295091
I used 2.2 ohm 1/2w off amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07P8...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. If you want everything functioning 100% normal you will need to pull out the passenger occupancy sensor and put it underneath the fabric/material of new seat cushion (not under the padding, it can not sense a passenger through seat padding), my corbeaus are easy to remove the seat cushion cover and put in sensor. Others might be more difficult to do this. Everything needs to be plugged back in, but with a resistor plugged into the airbag plug. and then you will have seats functioning 100% same as factory.

3. Assuming everything is plugged back in (but with a resistor plugged into the airbag plug) airbags will function normal
Besides the airbag that was in the factory driver seat which is now removed.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
FeRS (07-17-2023)
Old 06-07-2020, 04:01 AM   #3
GCFSA

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
1. I spent forever researching this back when i did it can’t find all the information again, but it seems the Subaru/toyota airbags use a 2.2 ohm. A 3.3 will still probably work but it’s not what it was designed for. Another DIY using 2.2 ohm. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=2295091
I used 2.2 ohm 1/2w off amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07P8...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. If you want everything functioning 100% normal you will need to pull out the passenger occupancy sensor and put it underneath the fabric/material of new seat cushion (not under the padding, it can not sense a passenger through seat padding), my corbeaus are easy to remove the seat cushion cover and put in sensor. Others might be more difficult to do this. Everything needs to be plugged back in, but with a resistor plugged into the airbag plug. and then you will have seats functioning 100% same as factory.

3. Assuming everything is plugged back in (but with a resistor plugged into the airbag plug) airbags will function normal
Besides the airbag that was in the factory driver seat which is now removed.
thanks a ton! guess I'll just go with the 2.2 then Since I'm only swapping out the driver's side, I don't need to mess around with passenger occupancy sensors right?
GCFSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFSA View Post
thanks a ton! guess I'll just go with the 2.2 then Since I'm only swapping out the driver's side, I don't need to mess around with passenger occupancy sensors right?
Correct
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The following is based off my 2013: Leave both the yellow driver's seat SRS connector and white seatbelt connector unplugged. Resistor (3.3ohm any watt rating 1/4 or greater) goes in the female connector coming out of the chassis seat harness and you can tape over it to protect it. If you plug in the seatbelt connector you will get annoying beeping and light on dash with seatbelt plugged in.

Maybe things are changed things for the newer models, but definitely have to leave seat belt connection unplugged on the FR-Ss.

The resistor is to trick system into seeing a seat airbag...the entire system will function as intended but of course there in no seat airbag in the Bride...there are the curtain and steering wheel ones for the driver still though.

I really wanted the Bride Stradia when I was looking at a driver's seat way back, but it's made for smaller, Japanese sized people and would be way too tight a squeeze for me. I went with what I knew works for my 6'2", 33" waist, 180lb self from past experience. Had a Recaro Sportster CS in mine for about 5 years and just swapped it back to stock seat for new owner per request - everything working as normal along with annoying seat belt chime and light. Stock seat still as annoying and uncomfortable as I remembered, but the 949 Racing 50mm steering wheel spacer makes a HUGE difference in legs and arms both being properly positioned versus chosing either legs or arms to be in proper driving position. If you are 6' or over, the 949 Racing 50mm steering wheel spacer is HIGHLY recommended. Took over 7 years for it to come out, but I'd never want to drive an 86 without that 2" less of a reach for the steering wheel.
FeRS (07-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
The following is based off my 2013: Leave both the yellow driver's seat SRS connector and white seatbelt connector unplugged. Resistor (3.3ohm any watt rating 1/4 or greater) goes in the female connector coming out of the chassis seat harness and you can tape over it to protect it. If you plug in the seatbelt connector you will get annoying beeping and light on dash with seatbelt plugged in.

Maybe things are changed things for the newer models, but definitely have to leave seat belt connection unplugged on the FR-Ss.

The resistor is to trick system into seeing a seat airbag...the entire system will function as intended but of course there in no seat airbag in the Bride...there are the curtain and steering wheel ones for the driver still though.
So ur saying on the drivers side, leave both the seal belt plug and the airbag plug undone? I know theres no airbag plug on an aftermarket seat, but I figured the more you plug in, seat belt plug, the less chimes and dash lights.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
So ur saying on the drivers side, leave both the seal belt plug and the airbag plug undone? I know theres no airbag plug on an aftermarket seat, but I figured the more you plug in, seat belt plug, the less chimes and dash lights.
Yes, leave all connections unplugged...with resistor installed in the yellow airbag plug to complete the circuit. If you try to jumper the seatbelt connection to complete the circuit a seatbelt light will come on that will not go out, along with beeping.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #8
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Yes, leave all connections unplugged...with resistor installed in the yellow airbag plug to complete the circuit. If you try to jumper the seatbelt connection to complete the circuit a seatbelt light will come on that will not go out, along with beeping.
ok thx, im putting braums in soon, im not planning on swapping over the passenger occupancy sensor. ill leave all connections undone, but put resistors in the airbag plugs, ill probably get a light for no passenger occupancy sensor, im ok with lights, but dont want beeping