follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2018, 02:06 AM   #1
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LS3 BRZ

I'm getting sick and tired of being disappointed by the FA20. If I want an LS3 in my BRZ and I don't mind shipping it anywhere in the country and I don't particularly care about the cost, where should I send it? I just want it done right and in a timely fashion. I don't have the time, space or patience to do the swap myself.

Before you tell me to just buy a Corvette or a Camaro know that I already have an 18' ZL1 and a supercharged S2000. While I love both of those cars I'm still drawn to the BRZ. I just fit in the car perfectly. S2K is too small and the Camaro is too big! Have a real love hate relationship with the BRZ but the only thing I really hate is the unreliable drivetrain.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
byun

Drives: 2015 BRZ CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I think pure automotive would be the place to send it. They’ve put together a bunch of parts needed and can probably do a clean swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to byun For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-14-2018), ILLSMOQ (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
I'm getting sick and tired of being disappointed by the FA20. If I want an LS3 in my BRZ and I don't mind shipping it anywhere in the country and I don't particularly care about the cost, where should I send it? I just want it done right and in a timely fashion. I don't have the time, space or patience to do the swap myself.

Before you tell me to just buy a Corvette or a Camaro know that I already have an 18' ZL1 and a supercharged S2000. While I love both of those cars I'm still drawn to the BRZ. I just fit in the car perfectly. S2K is too small and the Camaro is too big! Have a real love hate relationship with the BRZ but the only thing I really hate is the unreliable drivetrain.
Did you check the other LS swap threads here regarding reliability?

I would just rebuild the engine and have installed a Greddy or JRSC kit. You could talk to CSG since you are in CA.

Did you also check Synergy swap?
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/01/...ynergy-brz-v8/
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Did you check the other LS swap threads here regarding reliability?

I would just rebuild the engine and have installed a Greddy or JRSC kit. You could talk to CSG since you are in CA.

Did you also check Synergy swap?
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/01/...ynergy-brz-v8/

what? Ls motors and drivetrains are incredibly reliable and easy to maintain. A stock or mildly modified lsx would make as much as a built fa20 with a turbo anyways and would be much more reliable.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
olsonpg (10-25-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
what? Ls motors and drivetrains are incredibly reliable and easy to maintain. A stock or mildly modified lsx would make as much as a built fa20 with a turbo anyways and would be much more reliable.
I know and agree that LS is a great engine (for the price). But I guess I missed. Do you know any LS swap being tracked like this?
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4RooDs_Gmc"]this[/ame]

I wish I could do that Synergy swap.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
GrabTheWheel

Synergy is great for a track only car. I'm looking for more of a street/canyon/autocross setup with maybe the occasional track day.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Wutsaiu has an LS and tracks his 86 hard, so check his threads to see if you can pickup any tips from him. He did the swap himself
Old 10-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Why is a synergy v8 even being brought up.... you could do multiple ls swaps for the cost of that motor, seriously...wtf.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Because OP mentioned about reliability and daily drive without a budget constraint. I am apparently not sharing your LS excitement and recommending against doing that swap. LS is a good engine but I haven't seen an LS swap that is as reliable as a Corvette yet, other than a couple donuts, rumbles, and rubber burns. I enjoy this swap forum as much as you and respect the builders for their skills and efforts. But the OP is not doing this himself to enjoy the challenge. Only thing left is paying big bucks to a powerful but finicky car. Please show that "incredibly" reliable LS swapped twin.

This is my honest opinion and my only intention is to help OP.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Because OP mentioned about reliability and daily drive without a budget constraint. I am apparently not sharing your LS excitement and recommending against doing that swap. LS is a good engine but I haven't seen an LS swap that is as reliable as a Corvette yet, other than a couple donuts, rumbles, and rubber burns. I enjoy this swap forum as much as you and respect the builders for their skills and efforts. But the OP is not doing this himself to enjoy the challenge. Only thing left is paying big bucks to a powerful but finicky car. Please show that "incredibly" reliable LS swapped twin.

This is my honest opinion and my only intention is to help OP.
Suggesting a built turbo FA20 or a synergy v8 as a more reliable option than an ls3 is uneducated at best. Why not suggest a 2jz if you're not an ls fan?

@DustinS, @Sportsguy83, @Pure Automotive

Most of the issues I have seen personally are from people saving money with questionable transmissions or blocks initially. Go back and read about the BRZ06, even though weapons grade performance had a rough run reputation wise for a while that initial car was a great build.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
GrabTheWheel

mrg666, have you driven a synergy or a sequential trans on the street? Doesn’t seem real practical. It’s a race engine pretty sure that’s all it’s good for. My experience is that anything is more reliable than a “built fa20”. I would be willing to bet money that a stock FA20 will be more reliable on 10 psi than any built FA20 don’t care who built the motor.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #12
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
My suggestion was mainly building FA20. Synergy is my dream and it will be my beautiful problem. You guys are skipping my main recommendation to make an argument. I will not be playing this who said what game. All engine swaps I have seen are not acceptable so far.

Grabthewheel, good luck and have fun!
Old 10-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
I don’t know how reliable the engine is. For $40k it should be built and reliable, but then again, it uses motorbike heads and revs fairly high. Superbike motors aren’t really known for their longevity. Does it need valve adjusting every 15k?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #14
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post

I’m loving mine. If I were you I send the car to Pure Automotive, to do the swap and more importantly, tune it and get it dialed in...tuning was the hard part for me.

I built mine with all new parts. Used parts is always a gamble...pays off for some and not so much with others. I haven’t had any reliability issues that I would attribute to it being becuase it’s an “LS Swap” but it’s gonna be pretty hard to get a swapped car to have reliability on par with a factory designed stock condition car. I would compare the reliability of my swapped car to a heavily modded something else though...same issues arise.

I’ve got about 2k miles on mine so far and it’s a blast. Mostly aggressive backroads driving...been shaking it down and improving things trying to make sure it’s track ready before I actually start hitting the track. I think it’s ready now...Going to hit a drift event next Sunday.
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote