follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2019, 04:26 AM   #1
James Russels

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Turbo Coolant Question

For turbos that have coolant ports (specifically the Garrett GTX 2860R), I've seen multiple people say that the coolant intake should be the lower of the two ports, and the return should be higher. I was curious as to why this is. My thought process was that you'd want the fluid to flow from high to low, so this setup is counter intuitive to me.
James Russels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Russels View Post
For turbos that have coolant ports (specifically the Garrett GTX 2860R), I've seen multiple people say that the coolant intake should be the lower of the two ports, and the return should be higher. I was curious as to why this is. My thought process was that you'd want the fluid to flow from high to low, so this setup is counter intuitive to me.
Look up the first law of thermodynamics. You want the coolant to enter on the low side so that it enters the hot center housing and rises out of it on the high side after the heat is exchanged into the coolant, promoting flow.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-11-2019), sroby (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
James Russels

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey, thanks for the reply. Your video has actually been one of my main references for the install and it has been a huge help, so thanks a ton for posting that. I'm not a physics guy so I'm having a hard time understanding how the first law of thermodynamics would apply to this. Regardless of the heat, wouldn't the fluid still have to flow upwards, and therefore wouldn't that impede flow since it'd have to be pumped, versus flowing down with the assistance of gravity?
James Russels is offline   Reply With Quote