follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #1
ToobieTobias

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OpenFlash

Hey guys,

I am new to forums and the car community. I decided to work on my 2013 Subaru BRZ after owning it for a few years. I wanted to get the best informations out there from objective articles, personal experiences and anecdotes. With that being said, what's the best place to purchase a OpenFlash tune? Thanks for your answer and feel free to chime in with advise and etc.

Thanks!
ToobieTobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:06 AM   #2
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You buy the tablet, whether it be used, or from a retailer, and download the tunes for free. See the below thread.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71157
Old 08-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
OFT can be bought from sites such as FTSpeed or 86speed. I would go directly to the manufacturer openflashtablet and get it from there. Suppliers run out of tablets rather quick, and if you find yourself in that position, ordering from OFT directly will put you first in their priority list.

On top of that, make sure you read their website carefully, load the right info and tune to the tablet and then onto your car.

The last thing you'll probably find yourself against is the dreaded deal pedal feel. Some people claim that turning the ignition on and pumping the gas helps and what not. But the dead pedal feel will go away after about 50km or so, the car needs to learn the new throttle response after a tune so it's only normal you'll get some delay so don't sweat it.

Again, navigate the OFT website carefully, they got tons of info. Take your time while tuning the car.
Spuds (08-27-2020), theneptune86 (09-12-2020), Windycitystig (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums! You will find plenty of information on here, especially in the software tuning section. Tuning is a little tricky, but do some reading and watch some youtube videos, it will be quite helpful. OFT is also the easiest option out there as it is technically a DIY, you shouldn't encounter problems. If you do, you can talk directly to OFT. Good luck with the process!

What do you have for mods, if any?
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't seen this mentioned, but Openflash as a company sucks to deal with. Luckily their are some members here that are very good and have written some guides.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71157
Old 08-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
Bluefire98

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Garage
I bought mine used. Saved a hundred bucks. Probably a good idea to make sure it's not paired when you buy one, but I think you should be able to reset it anyway. That's what I'd recommend, and you should be able to turn around and sell it for what you bought it for if you decide to go back to stock.
Bluefire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluefire98 For This Useful Post:
Windycitystig (08-27-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 12:45 AM   #7
ToobieTobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
Welcome to the forums! You will find plenty of information on here, especially in the software tuning section. Tuning is a little tricky, but do some reading and watch some youtube videos, it will be quite helpful. OFT is also the easiest option out there as it is technically a DIY, you shouldn't encounter problems. If you do, you can talk directly to OFT. Good luck with the process!

What do you have for mods, if any?
Thanks for the response! ATM, I do not have any. After the OFT, my first mods will be the header and catback exhaust followed by an air intake. What do you recommend to start with?
Old 09-02-2020, 12:46 AM   #8
ToobieTobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire98 View Post
I bought mine used. Saved a hundred bucks. Probably a good idea to make sure it's not paired when you buy one, but I think you should be able to reset it anyway. That's what I'd recommend, and you should be able to turn around and sell it for what you bought it for if you decide to go back to stock.
Where did you get it used?
Old 09-02-2020, 11:38 PM   #9
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
get a Version 2.0 Functions the same but the screen is bigger and clearer, and apparently its got a faster processor too.

Also, if you are new to tuning(or even if you are not), look at the Wayne Roms. He has done years and years of tuning and keeps evolving his tunes. You can literally read his tune log changes over the years. He explains WHY he has made each change and how it helps.

They are $40. I have tuned various cars for well over 20 years, and even a few motorbikes. I am not new to it. But for $40, to have that advanced and mature a tune? Yes please. I just down loaded it, and put it in my car and its immediately better. No ****ing around.
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:24 AM   #10
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I bought my Openflash from 86Speed.com

Worked out to be cheaper for me than ft86 from the shipping costs, and arrived in under a week despite being an international purchaser
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #11
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
get a Version 2.0 Functions the same but the screen is bigger and clearer, and apparently its got a faster processor too.

Also, if you are new to tuning(or even if you are not), look at the Wayne Roms. He has done years and years of tuning and keeps evolving his tunes. You can literally read his tune log changes over the years. He explains WHY he has made each change and how it helps.

They are $40. I have tuned various cars for well over 20 years, and even a few motorbikes. I am not new to it. But for $40, to have that advanced and mature a tune? Yes please. I just down loaded it, and put it in my car and its immediately better. No ****ing around.
I was not aware of Wayne Roms...very, very interesting. I'm not sure I will go forced induction down the road so the OFT combined with that seems like an interesting option...would it be comparable to a Delicious Tune on Ecutek?
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:28 PM   #12
JohnH
Professional wrench

that I can't tell you, as I've never had any of thier work.

I will say that now with my new header in, I bought another one of waynes roms, this for the header and my fuel, I have something to compare again.

I had an OFT Stage 2+ on the car and it was way better than stock, very nice. I was happy. then I went back to waynes web page and looked at his different revisions and why he did the different things. I figured for $50 I'd like that. Once I flashed it, and drove it a bit so it could learn, I went for a rip.

Let me just say I am very happy with the new one! The car was faster with a passenger in the car with Waynes ROM than it was with only me in the car with the OTS OFT one
Gruppe-S UEL header/overpipe
Wayne Rom Stg 2 tune
Old 08-20-2021, 12:15 AM   #13
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Alternativly buy yourself a Tactrix cable
www.tactrix.com

and i can supply tunes for youcustomised to your mods and local fuel

will work out cheaper
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
JohnH (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 12:20 AM   #14
JohnH
Professional wrench

Steve, just the cable is all thats needed for that platform?
Gruppe-S UEL header/overpipe
Wayne Rom Stg 2 tune

Tags
2013 brz, first post, new driver