follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #393
scuzzy

Drives: 22 BRZ limited MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WORKS View Post
We are actually 50% through the process with CARB right now!
Looking forward to this!
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #394
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hello FT86 Club friends,

We’re excited to announce that the WORKS Stage 1 and 2 Turbo kits are now CARB compliant for 2017-2019 model year vehicles; joining the already smog legal 2013-2016 kits.

We have opened up a pre-order on our website for those of you who have been searching for another CARB Compliant forced induction solution!

Feel free to check it out for more information:
https://store.worksmotorsports.com/W...p/142.214c.htm

Old 08-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #395
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Any Driving video's or Track data? I am thinking about the stage 2 kit
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #396
WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Any Driving video's or Track data? I am thinking about the stage 2 kit
Hey jflogerzi, Here's some in-car footage from when we competed in the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge at Thunderhill a few years back:

We're hoping to participate in this weekend's NASA track day at our home track; Sonoma Raceway. We'll make sure to fire up the lap timer and try to get some recordings!
WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WORKS For This Useful Post:
albert (11-22-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #397
jflogerzi

Garage
Please do! I am looking hard at the stg 2 carb kit

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
WORKS (08-18-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 10:29 PM   #398
BrzVision

Drives: White Brz , currently stock
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So the bov is also compatible with the carb legal stage 2 kit? If so, will it remove carb compliance or will it still be compliant? And finally, will it make the beautiful flutter sounds?
BrzVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #399
WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzVision View Post
So the bov is also compatible with the carb legal stage 2 kit? If so, will it remove carb compliance or will it still be compliant? And finally, will it make the beautiful flutter sounds?
BrzVision,

Just responded to your PM! In order to maintain CARB compliance, the provided recirculating valve must be fitted.

- WORKS Team
Old 11-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #400
doku

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ w/ Performance Pack
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had some quick questions:

1. Have you done any testing with wrapping the pipes or putting a turbo blanket on this hot side? Do these have tangible effects on the charge?

2. Do you have any pictures of the cooling radiator for the oil cooler that can come with this kit? All I see is the sandwich plate. Does the sandwich plate have a thermostat on it?

3. I already have an EcuTek, if I get the kit without the EcuTek, does it come with the CARB sticker?

4. Do you have any info on performance differences of the GT28 vs. the GTX2867R Gen II in this setup if I upgrade the turbo down the road? I assume the 50mm GTX2867R would spool faster, but I'm an expert or anything.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #401
jflogerzi

Garage
Any Dyno charts? Stock vs stage 2. Your also using waste gate spring to control boost?

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Old 11-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #402
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Any Dyno charts? Stock vs stage 2. Your also using waste gate spring to control boost?

Seconded on seeing some graphs/charts.

This is all I could find about Stage 2 numbers on their site:

~12 psi peak boost
Expect gains of ~90 hp, ~90 ft-lbs crank on 91 octane (R+M)/2 gasoline
~55% power increase over stock
Includes all metric hardware
OEM/factory appearance
ECU calibration provided
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #403
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post

~12 psi peak boost
OEM/factory appearance
ECU calibration provided
Expected gains on 93 octane on kit?
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #404
WORKS

WORKS Stage 2 Turbo Kit - Now CARB Compliant/SMOG Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by doku View Post
I had some quick questions:

1. Have you done any testing with wrapping the pipes or putting a turbo blanket on this hot side? Do these have tangible effects on the charge?

2. Do you have any pictures of the cooling radiator for the oil cooler that can come with this kit? All I see is the sandwich plate. Does the sandwich plate have a thermostat on it?

3. I already have an EcuTek, if I get the kit without the EcuTek, does it come with the CARB sticker?

4. Do you have any info on performance differences of the GT28 vs. the GTX2867R Gen II in this setup if I upgrade the turbo down the road? I assume the 50mm GTX2867R would spool faster, but I'm an expert or anything.
Hi Doku,

We haven't personally tested heat wrap on the up pipe since we utilize a baked on ceramic coating on the inside and outside on both the uppipe and downpipe. This coating can reduce the radiant heat by as much as 45%. Adding a blanket on the hot side of the turbo hasn't shown to affect the charge all too much, but a fair amount of our track-focused customers run them in order to minimize under-hood temps. We've found that removing the rubber seal on the top, passenger corner of the hood near the windshield opens up a decently large gap for even greater cooling on track without having to do any cutting or spending.

Our oil cooler is actually a liquid-liquid cooler similar to the WRX that ties into the factory cooling system. While a traditional air-liquid cooler mounted behind the grille can provide a higher cooling capacity, the added benefit of our kit is that it functions as a temperature regulating device; allowing oil to get up to temp sooner when the engine is cold and stay more consistent with water temps. Perfect for street use. Our cooler also alleviates the worry of chasing leaky oil lines and the risk of debris being kicked up by other vehicles on the street or track, compromising the core, both of which can cause a pressure drop and the risk of a fire. Lastly, it's significantly less expensive than most air-liquid coolers on the market, making it a great option for even those on a budget.

If you already have EcuTek's flashing suite and license, we will provide you with the CARB compliant calibration file and CARB E.O. Plaque when you purchase the Calibrated kit!

The GTX2867R Gen II is an excellent turbocharger that we offer as an upgrade for our tuner kits. While we've sold a few kits with this upgrade out of state, we've only actually tuned one in-house. Although it is a larger unit, spool times were actually about on par due to the updated technology. The 2867R Gen II may have spooled a few hundred RPM sooner, and if I recall correctly, the vehicle also had a pretty restrictive exhaust. There were definitely some gains in the mid range and top end. One thing to note is that our kit is only CARB compliant with the GT28 option that comes standard with the calibrated kit. So if you're seeking compliance, the GT28 is the only option.

Feel free to email us or give us a call if you have any questions!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post

~12 psi peak boost

OEM/factory appearance

ECU calibration provided

Hey guys,

Most cars see about a 140-150 WHP peak on our dyno in stock trim. Post Stage 2 install, these values go up to the 220-230 WHP range. Ofcourse, these peak values will change from dyno to dyno, so the percentage gain is what matters. Ive attached a graph below from our 2014 BRZ test car below.

And yes, we do utilize the waste gate to control boost pressure. Each waste gate actuator is tested prior to assembly by hand to ensure the correct boost is obtained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
Expected gains on 93 octane on kit?
The gains on 93 octane should be roughly the same over stock as those of us on 91 (by percentage). I would expect a 10hp/tq gain on 93 vs. 91.

Happy Holidays, guys!

We're offering a discount on WORKS products this weekend. It's the perfect time to save on a kit!

Last edited by WORKS; 11-24-2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Adding photos and formatting
Lonewolf (11-25-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #405
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WORKS View Post
Hi Doku,

We haven't personally tested heat wrap on the up pipe since we utilize a baked on ceramic coating on the inside and outside on both the uppipe and downpipe. This coating can reduce the radiant heat by as much as 45%. Adding a blanket on the hot side of the turbo hasn't shown to affect the charge all too much, but a fair amount of our track-focused customers run them in order to minimize under-hood temps. We've found that removing the rubber seal on the top, passenger corner of the hood near the windshield opens up a decently large gap for even greater cooling on track without having to do any cutting or spending.

Our oil cooler is actually a liquid-liquid cooler similar to the WRX that ties into the factory cooling system. While a traditional air-liquid cooler mounted behind the grille can provide a higher cooling capacity, the added benefit of our kit is that it functions as a temperature regulating device; allowing oil to get up to temp sooner when the engine is cold and stay more consistent with water temps. Perfect for street use. Our cooler also alleviates the worry of chasing leaky oil lines and the risk of debris being kicked up by other vehicles on the street or track, compromising the core, both of which can cause a pressure drop and the risk of a fire. Lastly, it's significantly less expensive than most air-liquid coolers on the market, making it a great option for even those on a budget.

If you already have EcuTek's flashing suite and license, we will provide you with the CARB compliant calibration file and CARB E.O. Plaque when you purchase the Calibrated kit!

The GTX2867R Gen II is an excellent turbocharger that we offer as an upgrade for our tuner kits. While we've sold a few kits with this upgrade out of state, we've only actually tuned one in-house. Although it is a larger unit, spool times were actually about on par due to the updated technology. The 2867R Gen II may have spooled a few hundred RPM sooner, and if I recall correctly, the vehicle also had a pretty restrictive exhaust. There were definitely some gains in the mid range and top end. One thing to note is that our kit is only CARB compliant with the GT28 option that comes standard with the calibrated kit. So if you're seeking compliance, the GT28 is the only option.

Feel free to email us or give us a call if you have any questions!

Hey guys,

Most cars see about a 140-150 WHP peak on our dyno in stock trim. Post Stage 2 install, these values go up to the 220-230 WHP range. Ofcourse, these peak values will change from dyno to dyno, so the percentage gain is what matters. Ive attached a graph below from our 2014 BRZ test car below.

And yes, we do utilize the waste gate to control boost pressure. Each waste gate actuator is tested prior to assembly by hand to ensure the correct boost is obtained.

The gains on 93 octane should be roughly the same over stock as those of us on 91 (by percentage). I would expect a 10hp/tq gain on 93 vs. 91.

Happy Holidays, guys!

We're offering a discount on WORKS products this weekend. It's the perfect time to save on a kit!

Any Dyno on e85

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Old 11-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #406
WORKS

WORKS Stage 2 Turbo Kit - Now CARB Compliant/SMOG Legal

Quote:
Any Dyno on e85

We'll have to do a few pulls on full E-85 after running a few tanks through the shop 2014 BRZ. The best I can do is E70 for now!

We recently tuned a Stage 2 kit with a full exhaust and flex-fuel and it made just a hair over 300WHP on E73. I can pull up the graph the next time I'm in the office.

- WORKS Team

Last edited by WORKS; 11-24-2020 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Formatting and adding photos
jflogerzi (11-24-2020)