follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
APEX-i SMART Throttle Controller - preliminary test.

I had a chance to test the APEX-i Smart Throttle Controller this week, and it's been 4 days since I got it strapped to my car. It's a very easily concealable unit, consisting of a brain CPU box that is about as big as a cigarette pack, and with long enough leads to hide it anywhere. The FRS has a lower trim panel under each side of the center console area which can just pop off, and quite a bit of space is inside where things can just mount without issues. So the box went in easily in there, and harness couplers just go between the throttle socket and main E/BCU harness.
10 min install for most folks who can figure out how to put a socket in and out of plugs.

The main reason for Apex-i USA and I was to make sure the unit works as designed and since it is a universal Denso style unit not specifically made for this FRS, that we wanted to see what effects this will have on the car.
Everyone knows that playing with throttles won't add any power to the car, but it is there to tune the throttle pedal in relation to the actual actuator motions at the engine to fine-tune and tailor things to the driver's tastes, which this unit is designed to do.

The Apex-i TCC has sort of a unexpected benefit, now that I spent a few days with it.

The original FRS throttle, as designed by Subaru and Toyota engineers on this car, reacts really precisely and rapidly, unlike most of the previous lazy Denso throttle on other cars, where it isn't any slower or nudgy.
It actually behaves REALLY good out of the box, and there isn't a single complaint for the FRS throttle.

There, as almost predicted, the response turned "up" on the controller didn't help much in the FRS, as it made it overly sensitive, and sort of became rather jumpy. Perhaps this would however be useful if you are sort of into revving at the light in neutral, or performing quick starts if you can modulate the clutch pedal in lightning quick ways of a pro-NHRA guy.

In track use, the normal FRS throttle would give the best balance of response, and predictably as Mr.Tada and his team designed so feverishly to stay in focus of the character and use of the FRS. At least to me, it was wonderful in stock form whether AT or MT.

However, in the three degrees of ECO modes of the Apex-i unit, the throttle becomes slightly lazier in actuation curve without losing the response, and it helps when you might want to lend the car to someone who just wants to get from A to B, without having the drama and Initial D experience. It makes maneuvers in parking lots easier and possibly extends freeway miles by regulating smaller inputs, especially in AT equipped FRS, to a milder state where AT doesn't kick down in confusion at the slight input, or rough driver inputs by someone not familiar with how responsive the FRS reacts. The ECO-1 mode actually made the throttle feel almost like a traditional cable direct actuation, toning down the really enthusiastic response to something like as if it was a inline four with side-draft carburetors, LOL! Classy!

The FRS throttle is very much dedicated to skilled and enthusiastic sports driving, and there was no compromise to accommodate the "committee." Therefore, it's far responsive than most other cars in production. AS such, this device can make it feel more mundane for those that prefer it for daily uses.

Considering it adds virtually no weight to the car, and reasonable pricing, it might be one of the items on your shopping list that you can play with, and have pretty noticeable difference in how the car responds. I think I'd much rather put couple hundred bucks in this device, knowing in the future there may be some mods to the car, than to invest in some random magic octane boost or swirl generator in the air box...LOL! None of the latter would have any effect really, on a modern GDI engine like the FA20... but playing with the parameters of input signals will have some fun results in engines like this, where everything is monitored and dependent on electronic signals from the ****pit.

I would know that I can fine tune the gas pedal in as easily steps as a click of a couple of buttons in the 4 settings. ON/OFF and in steps of ECO, 1~3, and Low, Boost, and High Boost mode. And regardless of whatever reasons you may have or wish to make it behave one way or another, this is one of those devices that will add to the fun of "tailoring your car, your own"

Again, it is one of those things, where if all your brain can digest is specs on paper, and numbers coming from sheets, in the published stats-Olympics, no, this won't do anything to change your ego.
But if you are a discerning driver with human sense, and can interact with a car in a more intuitive way, then it sure adds some element of fun.

I say thumbs up. As this is something that does enhance the FRS experience, a car born of intrinsic fun and tactile interactions of the driver.

Please excuse the less than ideal photo...and semi-temporary mounting...
I didn't want to start hacking the dash for this little switch just yet as there may be other things later that I need to plan.

Apex-i SMART Throttle Controller by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com

Last edited by Moto-P; 05-18-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (05-18-2012), DAEMANO (05-24-2015), danthedirt (10-18-2012), Dark_Angle (05-18-2012), ESBjiujitsu (05-18-2012), finch1750 (10-19-2012), Fly Guy (06-06-2012), Guff (05-18-2012), jimmillion (05-18-2012), mattles (05-18-2012), naikaidriver (10-16-2012), StuttterButtter (05-18-2012), TPO (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
86design
Attack By Demons

Drives: 2022 BRZ (pre ordered)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
very cool any pics of the actual unit?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
Moto-P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86design View Post
very cool any pics of the actual unit?
Didn't take a photo this time, but I will try to remember to do that. It's a plain black box with a small harness on one end to mate to vehicle specific piggyback harness, that couples in-line at the throttle pedal.

Here's the control switch, that's next to my center console, and illuminated color show which mode it is on, and whole thing is a rocker switch that can go up and down in sequence each press, between different modes. (image pulled from APEX-i site)

www.club4ag.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
mattles (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
MattR
Running in the 90s

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
The ECO-1 mode actually made the throttle feel almost like a traditional cable direct actuation, toning down the really enthusiastic response to something like as if it was a inline four with side-draft carburetors, LOL! Classy!
This sounds fun!

Thanks for the write-up, Moto. Appreciated as always.
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MattR For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
great write up and interesting product.

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Moto-P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESBjiujitsu View Post
great write up and interesting product.
Yeah, its one of those things,
Do you need it? No.
Do you want it? definitely, as its something totally adding flavor to the FRS.
www.club4ag.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (05-18-2012), StuttterButtter (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
StuttterButtter
Yes i have a stutter

Drives: 94 Acura Integra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, its one of those things,
Do you need it? No.
Do you want it? definitely, as its something totally adding flavor to the FRS.
Couldn't have said better myself

Cool product might be a buy somewhere down the line.
StuttterButtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
On a related note...Moto have you heard of anyone working on an enlarged throttle body for the FRS?

Also, does anyone know the stock diameter of the throttle body opening?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
nice, so it can also be turned completely off to return throttle response to normal.

Seems like a pretty neat mod indeed!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Had one of these in my XRS, worked very well (though mine was a Pivot unit). I've also used the Blitz and one other brand as well.

They work as advertised. Thanks for the review!

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Moto-P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
On a related note...Moto have you heard of anyone working on an enlarged throttle body for the FRS?

Also, does anyone know the stock diameter of the throttle body opening?
Only one I know is actually in-house at Toyota Technocraft, Japan's TRD, who is experiementing with it No info on why or what the intentions are.
www.club4ag.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (06-06-2012), Lonewolf (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Only one I know is actually in-house at Toyota Technocraft, Japan's TRD, who is experiementing with it No info on why or what the intentions are.
I thought luck had one ?
kanundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Yea http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5566

elSport Big Throttle Body.
kanundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanundrum For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (06-06-2012), Lonewolf (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
If anyone is thinking about machining a stock TB, when I did them in the past I mounted the new plate to a jig with a 7 deg angle before machining. This insured the plate didn't get stuck when it closed.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote