follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2015, 01:03 AM   #29
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Haha only that one time.

How's the install going?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #30
Dammod

Drives: .
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
Haha only that one time.

How's the install going?
Lol.

Well thanks, Turbo kit install was completed on Monday, just the catch can which was a b1tch to install since the stock PCV is not in the easiest of positions and all the pipes are a super tight fit (which is a good thing).

Also installed the BOV last night and sorted out one or two things that needed attention. Tonight it gets an oil change and a cruise around the neighborhood on its first map revision.

I'll upload the startup vid, its nothing too exciting but will put it up later anyway.

Mmm that reminds me, must double check average fuel consumption, will be nice to compare with and without the turbo kit.
sav (06-14-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #31
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammod View Post
Mmm that reminds me, must double check average fuel consumption, will be nice to compare with and without the turbo kit.
Based on my experience - don't waste your time.

I've found that it's almost impossible to create an apples with apples comparison because your driving style changes. Due to having more torque, you'll find that you shift earlier at lower revs, and due to the additional available power, you'll find that you use more power even if you try not to. I've just accepted that I drive differently - generally accelerate harder, drive faster, have a lot more fun, and use about 10% more fuel.

Oh, and I've stopped recording my fuel consumption.
Instead I take selfies of my big beaming smile
Old 06-12-2015, 02:04 AM   #32
Scarl3t

Drives: Hachi-Roku
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post

I've found that it's almost impossible to create an apples with apples comparison because your driving style changes. Due to having more torque, you'll find that you shift earlier at lower revs, and due to the additional available power, you'll find that you use more power even if you try not to. I've just accepted that I drive differently - generally accelerate harder, drive faster, have a lot more fun, and use about 10% more fuel.

Scarl3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:25 AM   #33
Dammod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post

Haha that makes sense, he is not too concerned about consumption but we just took a pic of the average for a non-scientific "out of interest" comparison.

So last night a base map was created and it got an oil flush and change. We gave it some proper oil: Liqui Moly 5w-40 Fully Synthetic.
ShaunWRX (06-12-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #34
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Cool, purple bottle Liqui Moly?
Old 06-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #35
Dammod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
Cool, purple bottle Liqui Moly?
Yessir
sav (06-27-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #36
Dammod

Just a small update on how things are going and my thoughts thus far after having driven the car with the kit.

Sound: The car is fitted with a BRZ exhaust and a stock overpipe. It's pretty quiet! My BRZ with Phoenix Performance Kamak UEL header and overpipe WITH an added resonator is quite a bit louder.
A turbo acts like an extra resonator so this is to be expected.

The AVO kit combined with the above mentioned exhaust has that typical Subaru exhaust note and is VERY deep with the odd yet VERY satisfying occasional backfire ...We will see if that stays there as the tune evolves.

Power: It is VERY early days but already the increase in torque is phenomenal yet surprisingly linear. So far I have only gone WOT in 2nd gear, hitting about 0.35 bar. Take note that I am comparing this to the tune on my personal BRZ which at the moment is a pump map with my above mentioned modifications and is pretty quick.

Drivability:
Once again, super early days but drivabilty-wise, things already seem pretty spot on! Pedal feel/sensitively is just right, and the power comes in EARLY and smoothly.

We are creating the tune completely from scratch so I will post updates as it evolves.

Once the rain subsides here I'll strap the GoPro on and get some decent footage to gauge the sound.

Last edited by Dammod; 06-17-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Dammod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dammod For This Useful Post:
FT_86_SM_GP (06-16-2015), momoPike (06-17-2015), sav (06-27-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 03:13 AM   #37
ShaunWRX

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammod View Post
Just a small update on how things are going and my thoughts thus far after having driven the car with the kit.

Sound: The car is fitted with a BRZ exhaust and a stock overpipe. It's pretty quiet! My BRZ with Phoenix Performance Kamak UEL header and overpipe WITH an added resonator is quite a bit louder.
A turbo acts like an extra resonator so this is to be expected.

The AVO kit combined with the above mentioned exhaust has that typical Subaru exhaust note and is VERY deep with the odd yet VERY satisfying occasional backfire ...We will see if that stays there as the tune evolves.

Power: It is VERY early days but already the increase in torque is phenomenal yet surprisingly linear. So far I have only gone WOT in 2nd gear, hitting about 0.35 bar. Take note that I am comparing this to the tune on my personal BRZ which at the moment is a pump map with my above mentioned modifications and is pretty quick.

Drivability:
Once again, super early days but drivabilty-wise, things already seem pretty spot on! Pedal feel/sensitively is just right, and the power comes in EARLY and smoothly.

We are creating the tune completely from scratch so I will post updates as it evolves.

Once the rain subsides here I'll strap the GoPro on and get some decent footage to gauge the sound.
Need some help with the filming? The sun is out today...
Dammod (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #38
Dammod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunWRX View Post
Need some help with the filming? The sun is out today...
Hahaha! Thanks for the offer, late in my response - the weather has really taken a turn for the worse lately!

UPDATE:

Tuning is pretty much complete, the customer has requested for us to "take our time" so we are driving the car daily and giving it a good test before handover.
Fighting 95 octane fuel on this hi comp motor has been a challenge with our OCD view on smoothness and even the slightest bit of detonation...

We have settled on +-0.45 bar boost on pump fuel, it might not seem like much but we would er on the side of caution on normal pump fuel and have concentrated more on safety, drive-ability and response of the car and I think we have hit the nail on the head with that one!

Before and after dyno's should be coming up in my next update.

Last edited by Dammod; 07-09-2015 at 10:05 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dammod For This Useful Post:
FT_86_SM_GP (06-24-2015), JouMaSeHoes (06-24-2015), momoPike (06-25-2015), sav (06-27-2015), ShaunWRX (06-25-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #39
Dammod

UPDATE!:

We have finally managed to get her on the dyno.

The GT86 was road tuned on 95 pump fuel at +-0.45bar, but unfortunately the dyno operator at M.A.C.E. Performance didn't "load" the rollers enough, for the turbo to generate the boost target levels we were achieving on the road! This is also due to the fact that the turbo is only running on actuator tension, with no intelligent boost control as seen in factory TC cars, which would have aided in compensating for the drop in boost pressure.

Peak power was achieved at 6500rpm, and datalogs confirm that boost pressures was only 0.3bar at this point, versus 0.45bar as seen on the road.

This shortage of boost conservatively equates to a loss of 15-20 kW and 35-40 Nm throughout the entire powerband, compared to what is achieved on the road (0.45bar) as seen on the attached dyno plot!

We will be encouraging the owner to return to the dyno in the near future to match these claims...
For the time being, attached is the dyno plot showing 100% factory stock GT86 vs our Stage 1 AVO Turbo upgrade on 95 pump fuel @ 0.3-0.35bar boost. I have also added a boost plot of the dyno run vs a road WOT run of the tune.

Have a close look at the dyno plot. Peak power figures are extremely misleading, since what is of more importance is the "area" gain under the curve.
There are sections within the powerband that see gains of 40kW and 100nm!
What's even more impressive is the improvement on the runs duration time. It shows a quicker duration time of 4.736sec to complete a 4th gear run!

We have further refined the tune, since the day of the dyno run, which includes multiple forced-induction failsafes, improved fuel economy, cold-start refinement and dual drive-by-wire throttle tables activated by VSC. Launch control and flat-foot-shifting features also come standard with all our BRZ/GT86 custom maps.

Overall, the owner seems extremely pleased with the outcome, especially since the tune is conservative for 95 pump fuel and still offers excellent mid-range improvement, as per his request.

We were forced to retard timing within higher rpm ranges, due to fuel octane limitations; however, we still managed to make far more peak power than in NA form. The turbo kit still has "enormous" potential for higher octane fuels, which we shall be exploring in the near future should the owner so choose!

BOOST (DYNO VS ROAD)

DYNO @ just 0.3-0.35bar boost! VS Stock 86

"SLEEPER" TURBO GT86 :-)

Last edited by Dammod; 07-22-2015 at 03:44 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dammod For This Useful Post:
FT_86_SM_GP (07-06-2015), LostSalad (07-10-2015), MisterSheep (04-13-2016), raven1231 (07-06-2015), Shadeslayer (07-09-2015), ShaunWRX (07-07-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 02:26 AM   #40
Dammod

Just a few quick pulls against a Subaru STI from mid-rpm in second through 2 or 3 gears. Not super scientific, but gives you a good idea of how quickly it spools and how much more power it makes when on the road, hitting target boost compared to the dyno.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3EC7E7LvSY"]Phoenix Performance Turbo GT86 VS Stage 1 STI - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Dammod; 07-22-2015 at 03:46 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dammod For This Useful Post:
Alang (07-10-2015), Die$eL (07-10-2015), FT_86_SM_GP (07-10-2015), LostSalad (07-10-2015), MisterSheep (04-13-2016), qbzee007 (07-10-2015), ShaunWRX (07-10-2015), soulreapersteve (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 05:45 AM   #41
qbzee007

Drives: 97 Audi A4 1.8 Avant '13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Nice
qbzee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qbzee007 For This Useful Post:
Dammod (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #42
Naughty

Drives: RunX RSi